Maglite 3rd generation 524 lumen beamshots?

lightinsky

Enlightened
No momentary option not liken that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

tjhabak

Enlightened

There are 4 different groups of 3 modes that can be programmed in the Gen 3 Mags. Two of them have a momentary mode. So if that's something you like you're covered! I still prefer hi, med, lo, which is the default choice on mine from the factory. Two of the groups also have strobe as well. It's easy to set up the group that best suits your needs.

teknikks

Newly Enlightened

There is a momentary option, because there are 4 sets of settings and that option is on a couple of them; but it's just not good for signaling. Not that anyone besides me uses them for that, but if you sent an "i" or "s" for example, it would just toggle through the settings unless you were really slow about it.

teknikks

Newly Enlightened
"They probably machined the walls a little bit thinner."

I doubt the barrels are machined; extrusions with polishing & knurling. But if the thickness has been reduced to save some material costs, then they are making the light less robust for defensive use. Any measurements?

The heads are the same except for more of a taper on the 3rd gen, but the barrel diameter of the 3rd gen is 1mm less. Also, the head of the 3rd gen is NOT removable. It rotates 1/4 turn for the entire beam spectrum and the tightest beam is still slightly conical in shape. Also, the head turns really easily, so it may not stay put if you bump it. It probably has those flat-type o-rings because that's what's in the tail cap. When I went to check if one was in the head is when I learned the head is not removable.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Well, candle mode never worked all that well with the new LED mags anyway. It's more of a tailstand and I'm sure that works fine still.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Red Maglite 3rd Generation 3 x D cells (625 lumen).

After checking it out over a few nights it is all you could ask from a $40 maglite.

I got it to OZ in about 11 days USPS for about $67 all up with shipping from Fleabay in the US.

The central beam is adjustable to some degree.

I mainly found the twisting of the head more useful to focus the central part of the beam when changing distances.

The outer part of the beam spills in a big circle and does not change size or diameter etc when adjusting the head so the spill light remains constant.

I like it and it now replaces my older maglite hanging at my front door.

You have to click the on/off button pretty quickly in succession to get to the the other modes.

Changing the configuration of the modes is very easy to do by holding the button down whilst screwing the tailcap on.

The LED will flash 1 flash then 2 flashes then 3 flashes then lastly 4 flashes with gaps in between.

When you get to the configuration you want you just take your finger off the button.

I am wondering what the long term reliability will be of the button as it is a new design that is nice to use.

The older buttons were better made and easy enough to change or work on it.

For the price if I dropped this light and it is stuffed I would just by another one.

These Maglites are not in Australia yet as far as I can tell and the blue coloured maglite body is hard to find anywhere online.

I don't see any real differences in performance etc so far when running my Imedion NIMH LSD D cells in it.

The only issue I see is for white wall chasers.

The outside of the outer spill beam has an inner ring that Maglite could not easily get rid of possibly.

CHEERS

Last edited: