Maglite 6C/D , / 7C/D , how many people still love these lights????

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah heat will be a huge issue. I had an 11D (6D + extensions) 2/3Ds with a 64458. The head was too hot to touch after ~10 minutes. I had ceramic insulation too.
The 64623 is a beast at 15.6V. Sets fires easily. on 5-6 32650s it will run a looong time in full regulation. Use a regulator instead of just a softstart.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be running it continuously for 10 minutes.

I already have a regulated 64458 light in an Elephant II body with a 3 inch reflector (using an Alan B programmable regulator), I'm really looking at how best to use one of my AW soft start drivers.

alert_01

Newly Enlightened
I love maglites. I do have 3 of them 6D ones. One with Pelican Big D bulb.. Second with tetralux TLE300MEX this is abot 700lm. And last is as well terralux but model 310 with 1000lm. This one I can recommend. You can buy it for about 60 usd on ebay. Cheers.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't think I'll be running it continuously for 10 minutes.

I already have a regulated 64458 light in an Elephant II body with a 3 inch reflector (using an Alan B programmable regulator), I'm really looking at how best to use one of my AW soft start drivers.

OK. Just watch the 6x4.2V cells (25.2V). The 64458 likes to be overdriven, but 25V is too much. I hope the cells sag during the soft start ramp. Good luck. That thing will be a monster.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Just watch the 6x4.2V cells (25.2V). The 64458 likes to be overdriven, but 25V is too much. I hope the cells sag during the soft start ramp. Good luck. That thing will be a monster.

No, it's 6 x LiFePO4 - they are only 3.2V (nominal), charged to 3.6V they should sag enough to get them under 20V for 6.
I make sure I set the switch to low before turning it off, so it always starts up on low for an even softer start.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's 6 x LiFePO4 - they are only 3.2V (nominal), charged to 3.6V they should sag enough to get them under 20V for 6.
I make sure I set the switch to low before turning it off, so it always starts up on low for an even softer start.

In most ways, LiFePO4 batteries are more like NiMH batteries that just happen to have a much higher voltage than they are like 3.7V Li-Ion batteries that have a slightly lower voltage. In much the same way that NiMH charges to 1.4V and then settles to 1.3V after charging, LiFePO4 charges to 3.5-3.6V and settles to a very rock-solid 3.2V. So, much like NiMH, resting the batteries right after charging will bring the voltage down. Also, voltage will quickly settle under a load. But like NiMH, the initial higher voltage can EASILY flash a bulb.

I'm looking at converting my 6D to a 6.5D (FM 38mm extension) and pulling out the D NiCd cells and RoP High bulb - putting in 6 x 32650 LiFePO4 cells, 64458 bulb & AW soft start switch.
It should be good for ~30min run time and somewhere close to 7,000 Lumen.
Also good for setting newspaper on fire.
Not so good for continuous running - maybe heat issues.

Heat will be a HUGE issue. My setup is MUCH more modest than yours - a 75W bulb from Home Depot running off 4 A123 Systems 26650s. And even this fairly modest setup gets quite hot after several minutes. I can only imagine how hot your light will get.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah. Somehow I was thinking IMR cells (LiMn). Of course you're right.

philthis

Newly Enlightened
Where can you get 7c?

I'm new at this forum stuff and its my 1st time here and love it already; the posts I first found were so old I was worried site wouldn't still be here but Hey who am I kidding? Guys, Lights and Retro Fits or Mods as reffered to. To me that's same as Rare, Vintage, High Performance any or all is great. I have or had quite the collection of Mags. But I've been Cutting down on my collections, so selling my Mags. I gifted some really rare ones. Had the "9:11 Search and Rescue" Engraved Mag. So now I'm gonna sell my 7D Mag Lite. I gotta find the marketplace and figure out how to post pics then be able to return to there and here again to answer any questions... Wow, I really am a Newbie.. :sssh:
Wish me luck.

stienke

Enlightened
I'm new at this forum stuff and its my 1st time here and love it already; the posts I first found were so old I was worried site wouldn't still be here but Hey who am I kidding? Guys, Lights and Retro Fits or Mods as reffered to. To me that's same as Rare, Vintage, High Performance any or all is great. I have or had quite the collection of Mags. But I've been Cutting down on my collections, so selling my Mags. I gifted some really rare ones. Had the "9:11 Search and Rescue" Engraved Mag. So now I'm gonna sell my 7D Mag Lite. I gotta find the marketplace and figure out how to post pics then be able to return to there and here again to answer any questions... Wow, I really am a Newbie.. :sssh:
Wish me luck.

If you sent me your email address whe can discuss about the 7D , I'm interested.

altermann

Enlightened
Hello guys, who will tell me how much cost 7C MagLite now in very good condition,
just received an offer today and need to know how reasonable it.

altermann

Enlightened
thank you, that guy told me that the price he want's is about 500 dollars...
sure that's the non reasonable price for 7C mag Lite

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I don't know if that's unreasonable. Like I said I was prepared to pay a lot more for mine and it's a really used (working) example. They're very rare and I imagine most surviving ones have ended up in collectors hands who will covet them. I know i wouldn't let mine go for anywhere near what I got it for. I guess it just comes down to your own perspective of value....How much do you want one.

altermann

Enlightened
Thanks again.
i also have new 6C and even can't imagine how big is thr difference in price between them

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just offered to trade my brand new 2D Pro to a fellow who has a 5D with a pre-krypton/xenon bulb.
Nope. I offered to throw in a mini mag LED and $20. Nope.
Turns out it was his pops.
Probably couldn't get it from him for $1000.

So that's 2 that still love 'em...him and I.

He also refuses to install a drop in as well.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used my stock 6D incan Maglite last week. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one.

bykfixer, you can buy a new 5D incan on the big A for a lot less than you're talking about trading/paying - unless, of course, the model in question was a collectible.

Under the right circumstances I would probably pay up to $100 for a 7D/C, just for kicks and giggles, but I'm not a serious collector, either.

So, anyway, I think it's safe to say that the interest is still out there!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
As title says , due the high power led's and better tints the led has the future , but who still loves the 'Old' 6C/D , / 7C/D's????
I have a collection of old Mag's because it's a matter of time and they will no more available (7C almost impossible to find:rolleyes: and the 6C very hard to find these days) , and I still love these big lights :cool:
Tell us if you have/had one and if you still use this sucker , modded or standard , I use a 6C with a Fusion drop in as a bedside light , pure flood (400 lumen) and great for attack a intruder!

Necro-response!

I have a stock 6D incan Maglite that I primarily run with 1AA->D Eneloop adaptors; they give me over two hours' good light, if I have it right. I have a 12-pack of Duracell Pro Ds that I haven't used yet - I've only overcome my alkaleak phobia once so far, for just a walk or two right when I got the light.

Very mild 'mods' in mind: simply putting in different Maglite bulbs in descending order: 5D, 4D, 3D, 2D, stopping when I get to ridiculously low bulb life, ha ha!

I intend to eventually get a new copy of each D and C cell incan Maglite while they still make them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just used my stock 6D incan Maglite last week. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one.

bykfixer, you can buy a new 5D incan on the big A for a lot less than you're talking about trading/paying - unless, of course, the model in question was a collectible.

Under the right circumstances I would probably pay up to $100 for a 7D/C, just for kicks and giggles, but I'm not a serious collector, either.

So, anyway, I think it's safe to say that the interest is still out there!

Thanks for the tip.
Looks like there are some 6 cell as well.

I was just see-ing if I could talk the guy out of his dads old flashlight.
If he'd have been willing to pawn off his dads old faithful for a stupid 2D, a mini mag and $20 Ida probably said "screw you man you suck, trading your dads light for some junk you can buy at Wal Mart"...
When the wife handed me a Stinger on Christmas morn I forgot all about a 5D..for now...but by this summer the interest will probably pick back up.

Yeah, let's hope Mag keeps this old style light alive a while longer. Like you said Grijon, it seems safe for now.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still love them but don't use them anymore. This is because I want to keep them in as good condition as possible. Unfortunately I never owned a 7C or 7D.