Maglite are coming out with new LED!!!

shomie911

Enlightened
Maglite may already be using a new LED. At one of the Targets in Phoenix, near PV Mall if I recall, I noticed 2 black 2AA Magleds with a square die rather than the old hexagonal die. By die, I mean the plastic component; this may not be the proper terminology. The cylindrical component containing the LED appeared to be different as well. It appeared to have a number of small holes around the outer periphery. I am considering this a UFO sighting:tinfoil: at the moment because I haven't seen one of these anywhere else so far. And I haven't been to this Target since I first noticed it.

You may have just broke the first Maglite news in a long time.

Wonder what LED it is.

LG&M

Enlightened
Please tell me that was photo shopped. From his uniform I think he might be French, That would explain a lot.:whistle:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd sure as heck would hope that's a MagLED. He should definately check out Cheaper Than Dirt's MM remote switch.

copperfox

Enlightened
Just came back from my local Walmart. All LED maglites (D cell and mini) I looked at are still using the luxeon emitter.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Did you look at the colored Mini-MagLEDs (2AA) ?

Believe they all have a serial number beginning with 2T.

Thank you for everybody's help.

:twothumbs
_

copperfox

Enlightened
Yes, I looked at a one black, a couple silver, and a couple red minimagLEDs. I also looked at a couple 2 & 3 D-cell magLEDs.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they would get rid of the focusing crap as is blocks some of the light output. And they need to get with the program and get a switch and a modern LED emitter, this is not 2002, luxeon III's just don't cut it anymore.

They also need to bring back the 5 and 6C cell lights as there is an obvious demand for them.

copperfox

Enlightened
USWOH's arent as nice as the SSCs we know and use today...
the square die is noticeably smaller...but I guess its an improvement nonetheless...

Illum, I am confused. Firstly, USWOHs ARE the SSCs I know and use today :laughing:. Secondly, I don't have any of the new U2 bin emitters so are you saying the die of the U2 bin has gotten larger or smaller?

Illum

Flashaholic
edited, with pics

first off...I wasn't paying enough attention to details...as I have SSC USWOLs to compare with and not USWOH's

I guess my samples of USWOL's has either a smaller die or just less phosphor...but I've modded a couple lights with them and I must say I'm not too impressed:ohgeez:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only design change that I'm asking for is a swap to the lux k2 tffc.
It can't be that hard to do and shouldn't cost too much more. The rest of the light is robust and proven which goes along way with me.