Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer, your most welcome Sir!:thumbsup:

How many people you think would know where the BR549 reference came from? Priceless. We may be around the same age.

(Howling voice singing) "if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all... gloom despair and agony on me" lol

I suppose you've seen or used a coffee percolator... a flower sifter, held the flashlight while your pop swapped tubes in the 1 tv in the house...
Hated it when trying to dial in to a radio contest that had the #9 in the phone number because the rotary dial took so long... remember tough skins jeans, parents looked for razor blades in your halloween candy, remember the summer a soda went from 5¢ to 10¢ when you'd walked all the way to the store with a nickel.

So yeah I remember when owning a Maglite made you king for a day.

I was born in 64. How 'bout you Mercy?

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Amazing, I loved Hee Haw! Being Born and mostly raised in the Southern Region of the U.S. that was a staple in my house for sure. And here goes the kicker, i was born in 64. im sure you also had your Farrah poster or shirt,lol r.i.p.

and rotary phones was exactly why i never won a radio contest!lol When someone ask my age or it comes up i just tell them i was born when the Beatles came to America.

we rock!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
From the south too.
My friends had Farrah posters. I was that guy with famous motorcycle racers, NASCAR racing, NHRA, motocross and rock band posters in my room that was littered with soda bottles n cans, hot wheels cars and railroad insulators on display.
My favorite poster was that big red white n blue Harley 1 logo from when AMF owned them... that was the official Evel Knievel logo if you remember that. Eventually KISS posters took over. Then center folds from skateboarding magazines after that. By the time I was grown and moved out my room was painted a black and white checkerboard with surf shop logos here n there.

For the time HeeHaw came on tv that was the deadline to be home on Sundays. "Be home before HeeHaw comes on" my mom would say.

And now Maglite uses CREE.

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
I remember all of that. Good times for sure. 60 minutes and Gunsmoke. I used Kryptonic wheels on my Skateboard,remember those? and Tracker Trucks.late 70s i believe. Evel Knievel was my Hero!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh hell, this train is already off the tracks - '62:

Towne Club soda wood cases in the garage, my first skate board was made from an old steel clamp-on roller skate cut up and screwed to a piece of plywood.

Wilson and Twin Pines delivering milk to the milk chutes at the side of the garage each morning.

My dad always watched "Combat!" on prime time. We all gathered for The Carol Burnett Show, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in, Hee-Haw, and Sonny and Cher.

We were the last ones in the neighborhood to get a color TV - but it had a remote - with a motor that rotated the channel dial from inside. And yes, I remember my dad changing tubes in it. He even built a Heathkit one as part of a correspondence electronics class.

Riding my Lemon Peeler Sting Ray on the trails were the dirt bikes ran before the first BMX bikes came out.

Oh, and of course, thin steel tube Eveready 2-D flashlights with carbon batteries that you had to smack every 10 seconds to keep on.

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened
Okay, the thread is old and is over six pages long, but even so, I could not find the answer to a basic, simple question, so let me explain my situation.

I have an old Maglite Five cell incandescent flashlight.
I also have a 3 cell LED with the 484 Cree.

Can I install the switch and LED into the five cell housing?

Will this be too much voltage for the Cree 484?

(oh my this is an old thread)