MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people don't even realize there's a spare bulb in the tailcap...and they usually let their lights sit in a drawer until they really need them, then they find out the batteries are dead and have leaked and ruined the light.

That being said, I think LEDs in general are pretty damned reliable...I've seen several of the old Lux Mags go through a lot of use and abuse at work and I haven't seen one fail yet. I'm not saying they don't fail, I just haven't seen one fail. In fact, seems like the only LED lights I have seen fail, have been the cheap DX/KD ones.

Hopefully, these new Rebel Mags are even more reliable than the Lux ones...at least they have a better way of dealing with heat, that should help improve dependability.

clipse

Enlightened
Wow, how did this thread turn from a darn good discussions about the new MagLED to traditional Mags vs MagLED's. This has been a great thread (minus the bickering/arguing over the merrits of the new design) and even caused me to go out and get a new 2D Mag. If you don't like the design then don't buy it. Its that simple. Now can we get back to the topic at hand....... So, is it -090 or 060-? :D

BTW: My is probably one of the best throwers I currently have (in LED). I haven't been this excited about a MagLite since I bought my first 4D cell (first "real" light).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
well im just saying rebel leds had a recall and were faulty before ..sure they may be fixed now but thats no guarantee , what if some slipped through the cracks and ended up in a mag , so it would just be wise to have a back up just incase

now back on topic lovecpf my logic is undeniable

rala

Newly Enlightened
My wife just got me a black minimag with the new rebel. The updated model also comes with 4-modes, high, medium/low, strobe, and s.o.s. You change modes by turning it off, by twisting the head, then back on quickly. If not done quick enough, it starts back at high mode, has no memory. I actually like this version better than the Lux. It's brighter and whiter. I don't remember if the reflector was deeper like the new 2D, as I don't have it with me at work right now. Haven't done any real tests yet, so I don't kno runtimes or of any drops in brightness as the cells deplete or over prolonged use.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, for the people who've bought the 2D Rebel Mag, smack it around some to make sure it doesn't cut off on you. You can just use your hand or drop it onto the carpet. You don't want to be using it for something important and find out for the first time that it craps out on you when it gets whacked.

I ended up returning mine. I don't know if I got the one bad one out of 1000, but I didn't want to get another one and then have to go BACK to the store AGAIN if it showed the same problem.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
these lights nowa days arent cheap, normal person goes into store to buy a mag which is $30 , most likely hes buying 1 not 3 4 or 5 as that gets expensive real quick...the back up he will buy is the cheap 5mm led keychain dealy at the register

I understand your point and have touted that advantage in the past but what's done is done. The best solution, and one that would even keep you using the same type of battery, is to get one or more of those 3LED-2D Eveready lights. I've strewn those across concrete floors and still have them work. I've got a Mag Rebel and the Eveready is still coming out first in a power outage at home.

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Eve...ey-Trim-Lanyard-and-100-Hour-Run-Time-2D-2007

SuperTorch

Enlightened
1 LED is far more reliable than 2 incandescent, if the LED is not a factory bad unit then it is an upgrade in reliability for the MAG, the discussion over "omg no 2nd bulb" has zero merit, a single LED is far more reliable than 2 of the now old school MAGS. Not a sales job to promote the new MAGS but just a fact of how reliable led are as in 50,000+ hours to 50% brightness, while incandescent are under 100 hours to 50 brightness and some even far less, I don't know the exact figures so anyone chime in but one LED is FAR more reliable. I have the Husky 4W 2D so I can't justify geting one but I sure want one.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have skimmed over this thread and have to say I am a little suprised at some comments in general. It seems as if Mag can not win at all as many have hoped for upgrades and more heatsinking and when they finally do make a few changes for the better people still complain....or so it seems to me.

I did purchase one Rebel as I have two of the previous 3 watt versions and hoped for an improved version so I tried the 2-D. I will say I was very impressed with the incredible throw as well as tint and output. What I actually liked the most was candle mode with the head taken off. The emitter sits lower in this version and without the reflector it floods an entire room nicely. While the heatsinking looks improved it really seems to be impossible to do much with those plastic parts still in the way.

Now for the worst part of my experience with this new version.....I was able to use it for maybe 5 minutes comparing it to a few other lights before it stopped working. The light would shut off with almost any motion and I had to smack it with my palm to get it to work. It acted as if it had some type of short in the circuit or switch. I like the reflector and tint and improved (but still weak) heatsinking however I returned it as faulty. I did not purchase another as I no longer trust the d-cells as I have read so many here with problems.

I would like to try out the AA version however not available here as of yet.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have skimmed over this thread and have to say I am a little suprised at some comments in general. It seems as if Mag can not win at all as many have hoped for upgrades and more heatsinking and when they finally do make a few changes for the better people still complain....or so it seems to me.

I did purchase one Rebel as I have two of the previous 3 watt versions and hoped for an improved version so I tried the 2-D. I will say I was very impressed with the incredible throw as well as tint and output. What I actually liked the most was candle mode with the head taken off. The emitter sits lower in this version and without the reflector it floods an entire room nicely. While the heatsinking looks improved it really seems to be impossible to do much with those plastic parts still in the way.

Now for the worst part of my experience with this new version.....I was able to use it for maybe 5 minutes comparing it to a few other lights before it stopped working. The light would shut off with almost any motion and I had to smack it with my palm to get it to work. It acted as if it had some type of short in the circuit or switch. I like the reflector and tint and improved (but still weak) heatsinking however I returned it as faulty. I did not purchase another as I no longer trust the d-cells as I have read so many here with problems.

yes ,yes & yes

1. the complaining :) its just the nature of the beast , mag has to please us all :devil:

2.the output/tint/throw very good

3.:eek: 2 broken modules in this thread alone , something needs a fixing at the factory

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having mine for awhile, I have to say that it is a big improvement over the performance of the previous version of the MagLED. That being the case, I have grown exceedingly fond of my Malkoff Mag and I do like the idea of keeping a spare, lower output / long runtime bulb in the tail-cap to switch out if I need longer runtime.

I am not worried about the main LED failing, I am more interested in the flexibility that having 2 types of bulb provides me. In the back of my mind, I do enjoy additional peace-of-mind knowing that I have a spare.

So, I am happy that I have a good amount of Mag's w/the older style bodies to accept superior drop-ins like the Malkoff's that I currently enjoy.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I figured I wouldn't be the only one that had this problem. There was also the guy who mentioned that there wasn't good contact at the + terminal at the switch.

I'm afraid there may be an inherent design flaw with this redesign...

Robocop's experience was exactly like mine.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 of the 2D Rebels. On one of them, I had intermittent issues with Ray-O-Vac alkalines - it works fine with Eveready though. This seems to be a problem with the very small diameter contact at the positive end of the light. This contact is very close to flush with surface of the plastic housing. Shaking the light vigorously does seem to move the battery enough to make/break contact. I agree that this may be a minor design issue - the contact should either be made larger in diameter and/or stand out more from the plastic housing.

I have moved from using D's to rechargeable AA's in a 3S/2P configuration to save weight (and I have a bunch AA rechargeables and no D's) using this battery holder, I have not had any issues with the problem light mentioned above, or the other 3 lights - the spring makes perfect contact with small positive contact. Pictures courtesy of bobli17, thank you.

IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wally World has these lights ($15 for twin pack, $8.00 single) that come with these 3S/2P holders.
Flashlight_product_brsgel6aa-b2.jpg

Last edited: