Maglite + vaseline = oooh so smooth

Neither my 2D nor 4D were very smooth, so I put Vaseline on the thread and o-rings and ooooh soooo smoooth now. Using petroleum based vaseline is controversial, but for Mag products, it is perfectly ok.

maglite_manual.png

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that maglite o-rings are any different from any others.I would still prefer to use silicone grease over vaseline.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends of the composition of the o-ring. I've used Vaseline on a Minimag for years without any ill effect. Now I switched to silicone lube and I've been pleased. Vaseline tends to stick over time and you have to warm it to make it smooth. Silicone lube doesn't have this problem. NOW, I've recently seen a o-ring swell just a few seconds (2-3) after putting silicone lube, making it unusable. Vaseline would probably have done the same thing.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138126

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once rubbed silicone grease on my face by accident :sick2:

beernuts

Newly Enlightened
Vaseline can breakdown O-rings when used in a high use, high friction enviroment. Using it for a static purpose like a flashlight seal, it would probably take a few years(20-25) to breakdown. Almost any petroleum based lubricant will eat o-rings, eventually.

Slaro

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of those little dielectric spark plug boot protector packets that you are suppose to use when you change your spark plugs. I just use them and they have been working great for years, no problem with the O-rings. I got them free up at my local auto parts store.