Maglite XL200

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
It's regulated to dim after a few minutes. Unless they've updated this model to deal with the battery drain issue, I'd get the XL50 instead. Which I still really like and just bought another.

aab

Newly Enlightened
It's regulated to dim after a few minutes. Unless they've updated this model to deal with the battery drain issue, I'd get the XL50 instead. Which I still really like and just bought another.

I just saw the XL50 dims after 5 minutes but based on a timer and not voltage so you can turn it off and back on for another 5 minutes. Is the 12 minutes on the XL200 a timer like the XL50 or is it based on voltage? If it's a timer like the XL50 and I can just turn it off and back on I don't mind, I don't think I ever left a flashlight lit for 12 minutes anyway.

I just saw the XL200 dims after exactly 12 minutes for all battery types, leading me to think it's a timer meaning you could get more than 12 minutes at max as long as you turn it off and back on.

However I read about standby current draw, how bad is it? I tend to charge my flashlight maybe 2-4 times per year as I rarely use them, would I be able to go so long between charges with the XL200?

Thanks

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw the XL200 dims after exactly 12 minutes for all battery types, leading me to think it's a timer meaning you could get more than 12 minutes at max as long as you turn it off and back on.
Take a look at the 90% duty cycle runtime test here:

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/06/maglite-xl200-led-flashlight-review/

However I read about standby current draw, how bad is it? I tend to charge my flashlight maybe 2-4 times per year as I rarely use them, would I be able to go so long between charges with the XL200?
The standby current is 33.1 µA, but you can also just unscrew the tail cap enough so that it doesn't make contact anymore.

aab

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the 90% duty cycle runtime test here:

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/06/maglite-xl200-led-flashlight-review/

The standby current is 33.1 µA, but you can also just unscrew the tail cap enough so that it doesn't make contact anymore.

What does that translate to in how often I'd have to recharge nimh batteries? I currently recharge my flashlight every 2-4 months (used rarely), would the XL200 be able to last at least 2 months between recharges without having to unscrew the cap?

Thanks

aab

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting the XL200 at a local store and it's by far the best flashlight I ever had. I like the 5 different modes and the motion sensor to adjust brightness/strobe rate and for the mode where it can dim when not moved.

maglite mike

Enlightened
The maglite xl200 happens to be my favorite light too. Followed by the maglite ml 125 and the ml 300 LX .

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thread #6584 I've stumbled across in google searches. Geez this place shows up a lot.

Looking forward to mine arriving from Amazon as none of the stores around me carry it.
Bought the presentation box version.

Caterpillar

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know how to fix this high rate self discharge that affects XL200 flashlights? I own two of them and both are affected by this problem... If you leave batteries inside for 2 weeks and a halt, then when you use the Maglite, the batteries will be at a low charge

maglite mike

Enlightened
Does anybody know how to fix this high rate self discharge that affects XL200 flashlights? I own two of them and both are affected by this problem... If you leave batteries inside for 2 weeks and a halt, then when you use the Maglite, the batteries will be at a low charge
Simply 1/4 twist the tail cap. This should prevent discharge.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
12 minutes until it regulates is actually extremely good for this cheap little light. As for the batteries draining out just unscrew the tail cap. Energizer Lithium L92 AAA's are indeed the best for longest run time and cold weather but man they really add up in expense vs a set of AAA Eneloop Pro's...

rahul_does

Newly Enlightened
Maybe, Baby! I have accepted that Maglites are not in my destiny! I have been getting Maglite, as gifts, since I was 13 and recently purchased XL200!

None, except for a trusty 3D, have lasted with me for more than a year! Lost, stolen, damaged! 3 2AA, 2 Solitaire, 2 2AAA and one XL200!

Let me check more for 3AAA/AA models for my EDC.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Well, in November 2021 I purchased the latest edition of the XL200. It's 230 lumens upgrade from the original 172 lumens (which I still have from 2012 and still works). But I was interested to know if they fixed the battery drain issue, and it seems they have. 4 months in with the same set of batteries and no drain yet. I got it in the gun metal color which is really nice. Apart from how good it feels in the hand, it still has unique functions that are seldom found elsewhere that I like and use.

Attachments

• PXL_20220218_234128727.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220218_234128727.PORTRAIT.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 99