Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

sharazzi

Newly Enlightened
has anyone actually delensed the X50 or one of the other models (X100-X200) I am having one heck of a time trying to get the reflector out to change the plastic lens to an AR one. I know you have to push on the lens and "wiggle" the reflector but I dont want to break anything, reflectors are hard to come by and I dont think you can buy the one for the X50 separately. I was hoping someone can lend a hand with this as the actual process is giving me some trouble...how much force is to much?

Pasadian

Newly Enlightened
Hey Robin24k, I asked you a question about the XL series lights over on the thread that I started on the XL50.

You never answered, so maybe you didn't see my question over on that thread.

You mentioned several times about removing the battery carrier from the XL lights for long term storage to avoid draining the cells.

I asked if you had tried unscrewing the tail cap about one turn instead of removing the battery carrier?

As you unscrew the tailcap at some point the light will stop responding to button clicks. Back the tailcap out a bit more, just to be sure. At that point the circuit is broken and there should be no standby current flowing to drain the cells.

I think this is a more convenient way to store the light long term. When you need to use the light you just tighten down the tailcap.

Your method involves finding the battery carrier, removing the tailcap, inserting the carrier into the light, then tightening down the tailcap.

The tailcap lockout method is commonly used when storing away lights that have standby currents.

Is there something peculiar to the XL series that I'm missing that makes the tailcap lockout method undesirable?

Coming from the XL200 going to the XL50 I was missing the lock feature [my room mate was always playing with it and leaving it on], the loose tail cap trick solved my problem. Thank you!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really like that XL50. Mostly it gets used on low. Very under rated little Maglite

Now regarding pulling out the battery carrier, if you say... stick it in a drawer of say... your camper... that type of thing you would likely not lose the carrier. But it's best to store alkalines outside the light. In the off chance they leak from living in extreme conditions you are less likely to have a non working flashlight if the leakage only coats contact points of the carrier and not parts inside the light itself.

Mine stays near a door in a controled climate so I use the break the circuit mode described above.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review! Thanks.

The XL200 seems like a fun light, I have kind of wanted one for a while, but haven't got one because of a bad experience with a XL50 that I had for a few days before the switch stopped working.