Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are FIVE, yes, FIVE Mako 60º*out there in the world. I am aware of two of them here in NY, one in my friend's possession and one in my own. Coyote has another... where are the other two???

I own 1 60deg. Mako. Its in my b.o.b. bag w/ a el capitan #0. :)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
both got 37 hours when I stopped the test as the low was very dim. The remaining voltage was 1.10v for the #0 and 1.11v for the # SUB 0

AFAIK, runtime is 60hr/20hr on an alkaline AAA.

What kind of runtime are you getting on your 0 and sub-0?

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
The keychain loop on the Mako scares me. That's the same kind of keychain my Quark Mini123 has, and it snapped clean off after just a couple days of carrying the Mini on my keychain. I thought I lost the light, but I tracked it down next to the seat in my car. I am afraid a Mako with that same kind of loop would have the same fate befall it. The Sapphire et al have much more secure looking keychain loops.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The keychain loop on the Mako scares me. That's the same kind of keychain my Quark Mini123 has, and it snapped clean off after just a couple days of carrying the Mini on my keychain. I thought I lost the light, but I tracked it down next to the seat in my car. I am afraid a Mako with that same kind of loop would have the same fate befall it. The Sapphire et al have much more secure looking keychain loops.

Did you have the Quark connected directly to your keyring without another split-ring or split-ring/swivel? If so I could see how it would brake on an aluminum light. I would never connect it directly to my key ring for several reasons, but I think the Ti Mako would hold up if one did.

----
Other thoughts.... the main advantage the Mako has over my Aeon is that it uses a standard cell. Second possible advantage is the slimmer, but longer, format, but I'm not sure this is an advantage or would be for everyone. The third seems to be that in Titanium it is much less expansive than the Aeon, not sure why this is, but I can see the titanium shell being a clear advantage over the Aeon, which means it has a price advantage since the Aeon can also be purchased in titanium.

So it seems that if I carried a few backup cells (I could carry 2 instead of 1), and since I'm not doing much travelling, that the Aeon is maybe a better keychain light than the Mako. The Aeon I think has the advantage of the larger reflector and nicer beam, although since I've not put the two side by side I can't say for sure. It would just cost more to get it in Ti, or I could live with HA.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Did you have the Quark connected directly to your keyring without another split-ring or split-ring/swivel? If so I could see how it would brake on an aluminum light. I would never connect it directly to my key ring for several reasons, but I think the Ti Mako would hold up if one did.

The Mini had a split ring attached to the keyring loop which was then attached to my keychain. I figure it just must have been twisted in a funny way to snap like it did. I'm hard on my stuff, but if it can't even survive sitting on my keychain, it's not good enough. Because of that experience I can't rely on any light that has a similar mechanism.

scout24

Flashaholic
You'll never hurt the Mako split ring hole- that Titanium is much stronger than any spring steel ring that you coujld put through it, and the Mako is quite light... I've seen and held Data's original 007 with a splitring through the TINY attachment point... He's carried it for years, and it's much heavier than the Mako.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

Let's be frank. It's quite possibly the most important flashlight anyone has ever owned.

Hamaremon

Newly Enlightened
I would also very much like to have one (or more).
The practicality of a reliable AAA light in terms of portability and battery availability is hard to beat.
I think the hard part will be convincing Enrique that so many people want one!:grin2:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also very much like to have one (or more).
The practicality of a reliable AAA light in terms of portability and battery availability is hard to beat.
I think the hard part will be convincing Enrique that so many people want one!:grin2:

The Revo is a decent light in the Mako's absence. Here's hoping Enrique will make another run of these maybe with a lower low.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Revo is a decent light in the Mako's absence. Here's hoping Enrique will make another run of these maybe with a lower low.

The ReVO is a great light, but not exactly a replacement for the Mako. For me they fill different roles, with the ReVO being a great all-around high output keychain-sized light and the Mako being my ultra-reliable neck wear light. Thanks to its low mode it doesn't completely blow away my night adapted vision at night.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Mako with a red LED. There is not much difference in the high and low settings. Was this a limited run as well?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

Coyote pointed me to come take a look at the thread, and I'm glad to see there are many of you who are happy with your Makos, and several others interested in owning a flood version.

If there are at least 40 lights that people are interested in it is a possibility for me to go forward with a run in the near future. If it happens it will not be done on a pre-pay basis, but it will be a little while before I have the time to give this the full attention it deserves.

I'm not sure that this forum is the appropriate venue for expressing interest; I will post a thread when things are closer to being produced a few weeks down the line.

kelmo: There were not many red LED Makos made. I'm not sure exactly how many were done that way but it was done by request at the time they were made.

I don't visit the forums all that often anymore and I don't do private messages - If you ever have any questions and need to get in touch with me please feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]

Thanks folks, take care! :)

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woohoo! That it exsits as a possibility gives me great pleasure. If this is not an appropriate venue for expressing the absolute and clear desire I have in owning one, I will of course refrain from doing so.