Malkoff dropin for Surefire 6P- help me decide!

Yeah, but then you have that spare body just sitting there. Before you know it, it'll start calling to you... softly at first, then it becomes increasingly more insistent.

"Make me whole again!"

Like the ghost of flashlights past.

You're probably saner than me, but it just drives me nuts to have parts of a light just hanging out. Eventually, they all get tailcaps, bezels, and a dropin.

Sigh.

Ah, but it's a great excuse to pick up another dropin!:devil:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will keep it whole. I have more bodies than I have modules. so the likelyhood of me getting a new module is rising.

Got my M61WL today- WOW!:eek: I ordered on the 23rd or 24th so it's amazing that it got here so fast. I'm very pleased with it so far, just after playing with it for a few minutes. It definitely comes pretty close to the color of the original incan bulb. Certainly it's got a lot cleaner beam with no discernible artifacts vs the egg-shaped, spotty beam of the incan. The original incan has a very tight spot with very little spill while the M61WL is just the opposite, a diffuse spot and a ton of spill. It's colder than heck tonite so I'm not gonna test it outdoors to see what kind of range it has but it lights a whole room pretty well.

Just for kicks I shined a few different lights on different surfaces, comparing the incan vs the M61WL vs the M61L Nichia 219B and the M61N. The incan is a bit more yellow/orange than any of the LEDs (unsurprisingly). The WL is clearly the warmest of the LEDs but it was kind of surprising how much whiter the M61N appeared to my eye than the 219B. Maybe it's because it's brighter- an N vs an L- or maybe it's just a trick played on my eye. Or maybe my particular 219B isn't as warm as some. The CRI may still be better, I don't have a means to measure it. I can say though that I'm mildly disappointed in the Nichia. The dropin is still great, with Malkoff build quality & design. But I guess to me the 219B (or mine at least) falls a bit short of the hype.

Obviously I've only played with it for a short time but I feel it's a great dropin. I think it was the perfect choice for this light. It has plenty of brightness for my application but I'm kind of glad I didn't go any lower...the WLL might not have quite enough punch for me.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm pretty pleased with my new toy.:party:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Shine your light at distant pine trees after dark.

Which ever ones beam causes said pine to to look the most like a pine tree is the one with the best cri.

Examples:

^^ a Stinger beam

^^ Nebo Slyde

^^ a PK
All 3 are cool pure white. Yet one accels.

Take the test and I personally think you'll have a hard time choosing a winner with your Malkoffs.
They're all pretty good.

You'll have a favorite...but like I say, all 3 Malkoff tints are pretty good at cri in the real world scenario.

Last edited:
Great pix, bykfixer! Well, it's even colder tonite than last nite but I did just step out the door to shine a few of my various lights around. My end of town is fairly dark, not a lot of evergreens here but a few. My M61WL throws surprisingly well considering the relatively low output compared to some of my others. I'm really 'warming up' to it, no pun intended.;):p

Maybe I'll have to try the higher output M61W just for kicks.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Great pix, bykfixer! Well, it's even colder tonite than last nite but I did just step out the door to shine a few of my various lights around. My end of town is fairly dark, not a lot of evergreens here but a few. My M61WL throws surprisingly well considering the relatively low output compared to some of my others. I'm really 'warming up' to it, no pun intended.;):p

Maybe I'll have to try the higher output M61W just for kicks.

There is a downside to that. I hate when gear gets unused and too many of on many levels the same thing means something will languish. Granted extra kit can be stashed in bugout bags etc but still stuff sitting around is a shame IMHO.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a WLL and really think I should've gone with the WL. It seems a little too dim for me, even indoors.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I recently picked up a WLL and really think I should've gone with the WL. It seems a little too dim for me, even indoors.
For a long time the M60LL was considered to be the gold standard in combining overall utility with long runtimes. A while back I upgraded a M60LL car light with a M61NL and found that the central hotspot was comparable - the upgrade was all the extra spill that was obtained from the new reflector design. So for that reason I've always been unsure about the utility of the M61LL - IMO the M61L occupies the new 'sweet spot' in the Malkoff line.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
For a long time the M60LL was considered to be the gold standard in combining overall utility with long runtimes. A while back I upgraded a M60LL car light with a M61NL and found that the central hotspot was comparable - the upgrade was all the extra spill that was obtained from the new reflector design. So for that reason I've always been unsure about the utility of the M61LL - IMO the M61L occupies the new 'sweet spot' in the Malkoff line.

I don't know brother. My new CW M61LL is really bright running off 2xCR123. Granted they're all winners and the m61nl is sweet for sure.

M61LL.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There is a downside to that. I hate when gear gets unused and too many of on many levels the same thing means something will languish. Granted extra kit can be stashed in bugout bags etc but still stuff sitting around is a shame IMHO.

The practical little dude on my left shoulder says 'that Woods Walker fellow has point. Such a shame to just store them."

The fun loving little dude on my right shoulder says "if only you had the M61W, and yet another 6P to house it."

For some reason I listened to the little dude on the right waaaaay too many times in 2015.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some lights with good beam profiles out there. But every time I try some of my Surefire with Malkoff drop in I just realise that the beam of Malkoff is probably the very best design with the nice smooth transition between hotspot and spill for allround use. And with the neutral option it's awesome!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree there, hard to beat malkoff for all purpose lite, maybe impossible.

I like single mode lites as a matter of fact. Hard to say what that one mode should be, if limited to just one.
If I faced that dilemma, I would probably pick m61NL. It is indistinguishable from m61, especially when you run it off 2x18650 while offering respectful runtime.

I generally prefer single mode lights, too. At most two modes. IMO a very low setting is nice but only if it's done like Elzetta (and others) does it- one button for ON and a twist of the tailcap or bezel to change from HI to LOW. I dislike toggling with one button.