Malkoff Headband for MD2

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
this subforum is about headlights. Presumably that is the focal point, not so much about peripheral accessories. I am making it crystal clear this is not a high-tech Malkoff device just some accessory that I have an issue with its design. *That* is the point. Not a high-tech failure.

Malkoff excels where he must excel.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the perfect light for the Malkoff headband. Quark Mini ML. I got it several year ago and never really used it all that much. It's light, takes 1x123 and is not much bigger than the cell it takes. As a reminder, it's the 3-mode model. Low-med-high and on high, it's circa 200 lumens. Not bad for such a small light. I have no idea which generation it is and totally does not matter.

Forget about using MD2 series with M61T/M61 whatever, the light is too heavy and the little velcro contraption will rip right off if you move suddenly, or bend the wrong way. Not with the Quark, it's tiny and light and has no momentum. And if fits. But I would not trust any of my expensive lights to this device. It needs an upgrade and IMO Velcro needs to go.

So I am kind of able to salvage the situation to my satisfaction. I would not trust any of my heavier, expensive lights to it.

This light is small enough, I think you can safely crawl under cars and stuff. You can supplement it with whatever hand-held device but this thing is nice.

As a footnote, I realized I can adjust the headband horizontally, the circumference of it that's vertical. There is that Velcro you can adjust somewhat, so it's not as bad as I thought. Vertically though, you are stuck with the one setting.

The Malkoff headband takes permanent residence in the vehicle along with the Quark ML that's the best custom made light just for it. This *is* the light for autorepair, when you are stranded. And the headband goes into my emergency kit. Truly divine intervention here, the light was unused for years and now that thing comes along and it all fits together wonderfully. I got the Quark used so it must be 5 years old at this point. What a neat little device. Totally cannot compete with anything made within the last 2 years, not with the "real" lights but it works so well in this headband. It is small and bright on the medium and high modes.

In fact I will go walking around tonight to take it for its first meaningful test drive. In the Malkoff headband. I can totally see myself jogging in it. With that Quark.

There are 3 places you can attach the lights. One directly on top of the head and two on each side. So, if you have 3 Quarks or similar sized 1x123 lights, that's where they go. I don't have a Malkoff MD-series 1x123 light but suspect it's too heavy with its heatsink for this contraption. *Unless* you sew it in place. I do *not* trust Velcro. But there we go. The lights on the each side aim more or less straight ahead, like car headlights. The light on top aims kinda down a bit, perfect for whatever it is you are doing. With all 3 in sync, this is a wonderful idea. You can get tons of coverage.

However Malkoff still needs to come up with a much heavier-duty headband that can accommodate any 6P or even 9P with a heavy heatsinked module. And without Velcro, please. It's fine for adjustment but not for the module. I think I will sew that module piece in place so there is no possibility of it flying off. Maybe the side ones too.
So nice try. I think I will rate it 3.5/5.

Latest posts