Malkoff "Hound Dog"

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun fact: You can run any Hound Dog with a Z41 twisty tailcap.

But you already knew that.

I like the Z41 better than the clicky that comes with it. The downside is, you need 2 hands to turn it on. One to held and one to twist

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Got it.. It's within the realm of possibilities but the 8 minute runtime is not practical. Not even for the members of this community, who are on the eccentric side to begin with. This is just a semantic way of saying that it cannot be done. It's like building a car with a 1-gallon gas tank but 5000 horses....

Well that is pretty close to what is considered practical for a Top Fuel dragster race ... I'm not current with the latest specs, but IIRC, those cars make ~ 10000 bhp and carry ~ 10 gallons ?

I get your point, and suspect you get mine.

CPF (and car forums for that matter) is an enthusiast community. Opinions vary as to what is "practical" or desirable :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Out in the woods with the HD 18650 N.

malkoff-2.jpg

roger-roger

Enlightened
Fun fact: You can run any Hound Dog with a Z41 twisty tailcap.

But you already knew that.

I like the Z41 better than the clicky that comes with it. The downside is, you need 2 hands to turn it on. One to held and one to twist

That's one of the reasons I switched to the Oveready version, with clicky and hard rubber button. The hard rubber supplants to a certain extent, the need to have the twist off function with a fully exposed rubber switch.

You can't see very clearly in the pic, but the tailcap is slightly larger in diameter and the checkering is noticeably more grippy, which is much appreciated for the one hand hold.

KV6v4lN.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting concept. I am worried about the clickie accidentally engaging in my pocket while I insert the HD wrong way.

I want some protection for the tailcap switch.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have the MD3 body and it's a perfect match for the Hound Dog XML2. Really what an incredibly compact piece with such enormous power.

Does anyone know the runtime of MD3 Hound Dog? Yeah, I know. MD4 is so much better purely in terms of runtime, MD3 is a compromise. It's what you can actually carry that matters.

I know there is a rating on malkoff site but what runtime does it actually generate based on 3x123? On low and high?

scot

Newly Enlightened
Hi etc
I did a runtime test about a month ago.
I tail stand the lights, with a fan blowing on them continuously, and just let them run until the protection circuit on the cells kicks in.

KeepPower 18500, 2000 mah
Hound Dog XML Light shut off at 72 minutes
Hound Dog XML-2 Light shut off at 62 minutes

Love this setup with the MD3 body.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi etc
I did a runtime test about a month ago.
I tail stand the lights, with a fan blowing on them continuously, and just let them run until the protection circuit on the cells kicks in.

KeepPower 18500, 2000 mah
Hound Dog XML Light shut off at 72 minutes
Hound Dog XML-2 Light shut off at 62 minutes

Love this setup with the MD3 body.

That is excellent. Better than I expected, for sure. Where did you get 2000 mAh 18500's? I thought the Keeppower cells were 1700 mAhs.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I got them at Illumn.com.

They're a bit fatter than standard 18500's.
The old Malkoff MD3 and MD4 bodies won't fit them, the newer bodies will.
I honed out a couple old MD3 bodies and one MD4. Not hard to do.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you. I tend to steer away from 3 cell configurations, but 2000 mAh 18500's might make it worthwhile to invest in an MD3.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire combat ring or tricap malkoff? Why not both?

Great minds think alike, Marco. I was just experimenting with that minutes before you posted. For me, I prefer the standard tail cap with the SF grip ring. The tricap works better alone. Just one guy's opinion. Your mileage may vary!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have that very same 18500 cell. I also have an MD3 body but have no idea which generation it is.

It's a very tight fit. They go in but to get them out, you have to squeeze them out with something like a MiniMag.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I tend to steer away from 3 cell configurations, but 2000 mAh 18500's might make it worthwhile to invest in an MD3.

The light is almost as compact as the 18650 Hound Dog. It's certainly possible to EDC it. Once you are tired of that configuration, you can recycle the head in a 4x123 configuration.

with a very marginal length disadvantage, you get better runtime and more lumens. 2x18500 are greater than 1x18650. Not that much but there is a visible difference.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is almost as compact as the 18650 Hound Dog. It's certainly possible to EDC it. Once you are tired of that configuration, you can recycle the head in a 4x123 configuration.

with a very marginal length disadvantage, you get better runtime and more lumens. 2x18500 are greater than 1x18650. Not that much but there is a visible difference.

How do you carry it, exactly? Front pocket? Holster?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical pants. Vertx is my favorite. Or 5.11. lower pockets.

Md3 fits. md4 does not.

That's fantastic. Perhaps this would be good material for the "You just know you're a flashaholic when" thread. You know you're a Malkoff Junkie when you buy special pants to fit your favorite Malkoff device.

I gather that you need these pants for your profession, anyway. But now I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of pairs so I can tote more lights. Ha.