Malkoff "Hound Dog"

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog with the MD3 configuration only makes sense via primaries.

I can totally see going somewhere and taking a bunch of primaries with me as to not have to deal with the constant recharging issue and dragging (relatively) heavy Li-Ion cells with me. The slightly reduced form factor is a bonus. As mentioned above, MD3 fits into my pocket and MD4 just doesn't.

On the other hand, I am thinking about using the Hound Dog exclusively with the MD4 configuration and delegating the MD3 body I have to the M61T device. It seems like a better fit all-in-all. It draws lower Amps so should last a long longer in any configuration. I didn't realize there would be such an acute difference between MD3 and MD4.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Tricap is a good addition to any HD for the simple reason that the light will roll off any surface without it.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true about EDCing the HD - length is a bigger issue with the bezel size.

I can def. EDC the 18650 HD. The runtime chart is sweet.

Long steady decline instead of walking off the cliff like MD3 does.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick test with a pair of freshly charged KeepPower IMR 18350 750mah cells, 15 minutes (timed) on high;

Starting voltage = 4.19
Ending voltage = 3.68

In a MD2 body this would be used for EDC where max output would only be used in short bursts. On low the WC v.6 head provides more than enough illumination for walking, and is actually just right for indoor use. I'm really "warming up" to this wide, smooth high-CRI beam and beautiful tint, enough that I'd carry it regularly on a MD2 body.

I foresee another photo session coming....
According to my current test, previous data may be wrong, IDK. Here is the first test

EpQqqcc.png

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally figured out an acceptable solution to the problem of the Hound Dog having (very slightly) loose head. I tried all kinds of O-rings, they either did not fit or were the same thing that it had to begin with.

I used floss to wrap around the area where the O-ring goes. Then reinstalled the original O-ring on top of floss. It's much tighter now. With no side effects that I can tell. You need more force to move between high and low. When it low, it does not get bumped into high.

You can probably improvise and you use whatever. Thread or some very thin tape. I tried a few lengths until I found one that was acceptable to me.

I also experimented with the Z41 tailcap and I realized it didn't match the HD very well for some reason, although certainly functional. Cannot put my finger on it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the WC v.6/MD2 body combo is working out well, I've ordered a set of these batteries. The positive reviews and INR chemistry make them worth a try!

I'd be afraid of over-discharging unprotected cells. Seems like the voltage could sag too low, too fast. I suppose it would be feasible if you were watching a clock, but if you're using the light a little here, a little there, you could pass the 15 minute mark unnoticed.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be afraid of over-discharging unprotected cells. Seems like the voltage could sag too low, too fast. I suppose it would be feasible if you were watching a clock, but if you're using the light a little here, a little there, you could pass the 15 minute mark unnoticed.
I am pretty sure that the HD blinks at 5.5v

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'd be afraid of over-discharging unprotected cells. Seems like the voltage could sag too low, too fast.

If I was running the light on high all the time, I agree that would be a concern. However, I find the 30 lumens of output spread so evenly is very useful and all I need 90% of the time. In a week of carrying this set up and using it every night for the final dog walk of the day, I only unleash all 1,000 of its glorious high-CRI lumens sparingly and primarily for giggles. :)

malkoff-19.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was running the light on high all the time, I agree that would be a concern. However, I find the 30 lumens of output spread so evenly is very useful and all I need 90% of the time. In a week of carrying this set up and using it every night for the final dog walk of the day, I only unleash all 1,000 of its glorious high-CRI lumens sparingly and primarily for giggles. :)

It's certainly a sweet set up. Kinda like a drag racer. Full power with a small gas tank. For my personal use, I need at least an MD3. My Wildcat has a semi-permanent home on top of an MD4.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could always be wrong, but I am pretty sure that none of the HDs have low-voltage indication.
I don't run them down that low, but it used to be on the old HD page on Gene's website. Probably anyone running protected cell that shut off at 2.8v each would never see it.
Maybe he changed it at some point.
Maybe I should put some IMRs in and let it run down and see.

Also, the shut off voltage is under load, and after removing the batteries to rest, they will bounce back higher again when no load is on them.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't run them down that low, but it used to be on the old HD page on Gene's website. Probably anyone running protected cell that shut off at 2.8v each would never see it.
Maybe he changed it at some point.
Maybe I should put some IMRs in and let it run down and see.

Also, the shut off voltage is under load, and after removing the batteries to rest, they will bounce back higher again when no load is on them.

I don't run them that low, but according to Oveready, the IMR cells can handle a relatively deep discharge more safely, and will bounce back well if you get them on the charger without a long delay. I run IMR in almost everything now. I feel much safer with that chemistry, and no protection circuits to fail.

I recharge often, and have never run them down that low in years of doing this. Maybe people who routinely run the battery down to the protection shut off might not want to go this way, but I have no problem with it.

I don't need long run times in my normal daily use.
YMMV.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like to test for the low voltage flash without running the risk of damaging Li-Ion or IMR cells, then run the test with primaries instead.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Sadly I have to announce an injury to a colleague tonight. I had my Hound Dog in my jacket pocket and somehow managed to bump the switch on. It must have sat there for a long time because I didn't notice until I out my hand in my pocket and felt the heat. It ran the batteries down completely and the heat actually melted and warped the plastic lens. I'm hoping the LED wasn't damaged :(