Malkoff in a G2LED?

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
I gave my son my G2LED, he just went over to Gene Malkoff's site and ordered a M60 drop in. The G2L has the smooth reflector with the foggy Lexan lens, should & where can he get a glass/pyrex lens?:twothumbs

Thanks
Riddick

I'm so proud of'em:D

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which M60 did he get? If he got the high output one just make sure he doesn't run it for long in the G2. Mine got really hot in a matter of minutes. It's great for short bursts though. :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah he got the 235+ lumen M60:faint:

According to Gene:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.

After a couple minutes of continuous run time my M60 is too hot to hold if I quickly unscrew my G2 to get at the M60. This may still be safe for the LED, but it makes me a bit nervous. :) By 15 minutes that thing is probably really cooking. I decided to get a stainless steel strike bezel for my G2 (looks kinda silly) which does a better job of heat sinking the M60. I could also move it into my Surefire 6P.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the foggy film of the G2L is just a removable filter, but I have been wrong.

Does that G2L have a metal head/bezel?

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
The G2L does have aluminum bezel but the lens is a lexan lens in front of a smooth reflector:cool:

All you guys are the best:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:!!!!

Thanks
Riddick

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Nice guy my son is, he took my G2L, but he just bought me a KX2 head and a replacement switch for one of my E2L Outdoorsman for my birthday (50th):twothumbs

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give it a shot with the diffusion lens on there, I think you may actually prefer it to a clear window. I've run the M60 in my polymer head G2 for as long as 6 minutes, taking it out it was definately hot but not dangerously so. I would imagine that with an aluminum head it would be safe for any reasonable period of use.

GPB

Enlightened
can anyone offer a direct comparison between the 2 G2L formats

Smooth reflector/Diffused lense vs dimpled reflector/Clear lens

just curious

PaulKersey

Newly Enlightened
He went straight away for the M60? Smart guy you raised there. I tried to find the temp chart somebody posted a while back for Time:Temp on the M60 but I couldn't. I have mine in a 6P and the heat ramp is pretty fast. Enjoy!

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
I gave my son my G2LED, he just went over to Gene Malkoff's site and ordered a M60 drop in. The G2L has the smooth reflector with the foggy Lexan lens, should & where can he get a glass/pyrex lens?

I am using a UCL from www.flashlightlens.com on my G2L with a m60 in it. I have had no major issues with it so far.

You don't really need to replace the whole window though as others have stated - it's just a film that you can remove to make it clear. I may add though - I needed to boil the head in some water (inside a bag) to get the glue they use to keep the ring in to loosen up enough to get it out.

Anyway hope he enjoys the light!