Malkoff M30 4/3a

Rat6P

Enlightened
Wow, 4 hours or so runtime.

you could run the M30 with 2 of these for about ~130/150lumens for a pretty nice runtime eh?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mmmmmmmmmm
I'm about half a hair from geting those Sanyo 4500 maH 18mm 4/3A cells. I am always after new components!
I wonder about the self discharge rate. What is the best charging rate?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmmmmmmmmm
I'm about half a hair from geting those Sanyo 4500 maH 18mm 4/3A cells. I am always after new components!
I wonder about the self discharge rate. What is the best charging rate?
I'll let you know when the 2 I ordered arrive.:D
I don't know what the best charge rate is. I am using a Bc2u that charges at 700mah.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill
Output with a Li-Ion is about 220 lumens or so. Output with one CR123 or two AA NiMh's is about 130 lumens. Output with one NiMh would be ? It has got to be less than 130 lumens. I have got to try this out using one Eneloop, and figure that a very strong NiMh would give better results. The current M30's can operate from 1-5.5 volts imput. Need a lot of current to get good results with one NiMH, and two Eneloops draw about 1 amp from the batteries to attain 130 lumens, and that is at 2.8 volts or so starting. Interesting.

Bill
Does this mean that the M30 is direct drive (not regulated)? I would think that with good regulation and a buck/boost circuit, the differences wouldn't be that significant. Can't a good set of NIMHs deliver sufficient current?

Does anyone have a view on this. The Olight 2AAs have about the same output as the single CR123s. Why such a big difference with the M30?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Does this mean that the M30 is direct drive (not regulated)? I would think that with good regulation and a buck/boost circuit, the differences wouldn't be that significant. Can't a good set of NIMHs deliver sufficient current?

The M30 is not direct drive nor does it look that way when a runtime is done. It uses a form of voltage regulation that Gene Malkoff has tweeked. Probably somewhat like his mag drop-ins for two and three cell lights. That is my guess. He apparently changes the circuit to optimize the use of one LiIon. The output is really different at the two different voltage imput levels. Using one LiIon the output is in the 220 lumen range and MrGman has tested it at about that figure in an IS. Using two NiMh or one CR123 it has reduced output in the range of 130 lumens. That is my guess comparing the two voltage imputs and their light output using a lightmeter and bounce. I have discussed the M30 with Gene on the phone. He has actually increased the range of the M30's imputvoltage from 1-4.5 volts to 1-5.5 volts. Good idea and it reduces issues when using two CR123's accidentally (or on purpose, if you are brave-my words not Gene's).

Bill

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google is your friend. Not just CPF google. You will find that there are many different sizes of NiCd, and NiMh cells out there. Google and look up the specs. You have simply got to spend some time in the battery, electronics, etcf forum here on CPF, and explore elsewhere regarding batteries. :D

Bill
Agreed. I do spend time reading believe it or not. I don't see how you guys keep track of all these different cells. :D

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4500mah Sanyo 4/3af cells have arrived. I'm running a few cycles thru the charger and should have the runtimes up sometime tomorrow. I'm guessing that it will be a little over 5 hours runtime.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4500mah Sanyo 4/3af cells have arrived. I'm running a few cycles thru the charger and should have the runtimes up sometime tomorrow. I'm guessing that it will be a little over 5 hours runtime.
Looking forward to the results. I sure wish these were LSD.

Can you do a test on your charger and see if they meet their rated capacity?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran two test with the 4500mah Sanyo batteries. Test 1 starting voltage was 1.469v finished at .892v in 4:52hours.Test 2 starting voltage was 1.49v finished at .943v at 4:55 hours. So it looks like you can expect 30 to 35 minutes extra runtime on the Sanyo 18mm 4/3af cells as oppose to the Panasonic 17mm 3800mah 4/3a cells. I really like this whole setup.If you want full power run it on one li-ion.If you want reduced output run it on one of these batteries. My next test will be 2 of these batteries in series with a couple of extenders.

By the way I ran a test on a aa eneloop with starting voltage of 1.498v ending at .940v for a runtime of 2:31 hours. It also was still putting out usable light at the end of the test.:D

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just completed the last test that I am going to do at this time. I ran 2 of the Panasonic 4/3a cells in series with a starting voltage of 2.91v and an ending voltage of 2.07v. The total runtime was exactly 4 hours. I would guess the lumen's are between 120 to 130. The light is a little long in this configuration but it puts out damn good light for 4 hours. Out of the different configurations that I ran I think my favorite is the standard 6p length in 4/3af for low light and a 17670 or 18650 li-ion for high power. Carry the li-ion in the light and the 4/3af as your backup.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little update. I charged them up about a month ago and the 4/3a cells are between 1.33v&1.34v. The 4/3af cells are 1.345v&1.348v. They do not seem to discharge as much as my other non-lsd batteries. I still wouldn't call them lsd however. I'm really loving the runtime on these cells.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
What body would you use to run 2x4/3AF cells?
Either a 6p with 2 extensions or a 9p with one.4/3a cells are the same external dimensions as a 17670.4/3af cell is the same extenal demensions as an 18650 cell.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have M30 anymore.
I want to run the new Malkoff M31 on 2 x 3/4AF cells. That should generate awesome runtime.

Last edited:

Latest posts