Many lights or just the best?

Would you rather spend your light budget to

• Just have the best lights.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Have multiple great lights in each category.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Have lots of lights you enjoy.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Have a collection of lights.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has probably been discussed numerous times, but I'm not finding it. I've been a flashaholic for years and have owned hundreds of lights, so this isn't new to me. I have sold a great many of my lights through the years. I always wish I didn't afterwards, but at the same time I know, for most of them, I'd never use them again anyway because of better lights that I have. I love lights. When camping and such I take a case of some 30 lights and every night I will turn them on one by one, not because I need to but to play with them. However, if I am using a light then I'm grabbing the best one for the task. "The best" lights tend to be pretty expensive though. I could sell lights (usually for much less then I paid for them) to buy one/them, but would it be worth it? BTW, I'm not talking cheaper lights you get from your neighborhood store. I really do feel blessed that I have so many great lights (Nitecore, Acebeam, Olight, Emisar, Eagletac, Lumintop, many modded by Vinh, etc.). If you're a collector you want as many of what your collecting. A minimalist would want one light that does everything, but the best at nothing. If you only see lights as tools, then you only get what you need. If you have the money and space you might live by the CPF moto and just buy them all and keep them haha. Personally I gave up the collector title a few years back and now consider myself an "enthusiast."

Anyway, I know it comes down to personal preference, but I'd love to hear from you all about your thoughts. Would you rather have a lot of great lights or just the best in each category? Thanks!

UFO

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this site so my opinion probably won't carry the weight of the more experienced guys.

For me, flashlights are tools meant to be used, kind of like knives. I don't need the best flashlight out there. What I need is something I can rely on and one I can trust. "Best" is a subjective term. We all have our favorites. But if I trust that the lights I have will work when I need them, then as far as I'm concerned, I do indeed have the best.

Don't know if that makes sense but that's all I've got. Hope that answers your question, which by the way is thought provoking.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to advances in LED technology, my older lights become obsolete. I have never parted with any except those that I purchased with intent to make gifts of. My older lights have a lower combination of flood and throw for size, but my older lights have more sentimental value. I am also smack dab in the middle of the "Nitecore, Acebeam, Olight, Emisar, Eagletac, Lumintop, many modded by Vinh, etc." range.

ELZ

Newly Enlightened
After I got an Elzetta with a M61W and a Peak Eiger, I got a few back-ups of these and never bought any other flashlights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No Acebeam, Olight, Emisar, Eagltac, Lumintop or modded by Vihn lights in my humble collection. I have a Nitecore charger though. Nothing against those brands personally, just not for me. A very large slice of my collection is lights made by companies no longer in business. To me it is much a thrill to find historical value as the beam of light itself.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm a fan of buying quality gear for things I deem important or disaster/emergency/survival related. Genuine Victorinox and Leatherman instead of the dollar store flea market knockoffs, for example. Older tech when it comes to lights doesn't equate to obsolete in my mind. I have older Malkoff dropins that serve well, for example. As time went by here, I gravitated towards lights that have a reputation for holding up under adverse conditions, that replacement parts are readily available for, and whose producers have good customer service. My 2 cents.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to this site so my opinion probably won't carry the weight of the more experienced guys. Welcome to the site! New or not, I'm still asking for peoples opinions and you replied. Thank you!

To me, flashlights are tools meant to be used, kind of like knives. I don't need the best flashlight out there. What I need is something I can rely on and one I can trust. "Best" is a subjective term. We all have our favorites. But if I trust that the lights I have will work when I need them, then as far as I'm concerned, I do indeed have the best. I understand where you are coming from, but if you're on here for awhile these views are going to change haha. If you're like most of us here, lights can be addictive.

Don't know if that makes sense but that's all I've got. Hope that answers your question, which by the way is thought provoking.

Due to advances in LED technology, my older lights become obsolete. I have never parted with any except those that I purchased with intent to make gifts of. My older lights have a lower combination of flood and throw for size, but my older lights have more sentimental value. So true! Not with all my lights, but many of them. I am also smack dab in the middle of the "Nitecore, Acebeam, Olight, Emisar, Eagletac, Lumintop, many modded by Vinh, etc." range. Yes you are haha. Thank you for your input!

After I got an Elzetta with a M61W and a Peak Eiger, I got a few back-ups of these and never bought any other flashlights. Thank you for your input. If you don't mind me asking, why? Is it because you feel those lights are the best? If so what happens when better ones come out? Or is it because they are exactly what you want, are satisfied, and don't need/want anything better?

No Acebeam, Olight, Emisar, Eagltac, Lumintop or modded by Vihn lights in my humble collection. I have a Nitecore charger though. Nothing against those brands personally, just not for me. A very large slice of my collection is lights made by companies no longer in business. To me it is much a thrill to find historical value as the beam of light itself. Oh true! I have several lights myself that have a significant (in my mind) historical value. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of buying quality gear for things I deem important or disaster/emergency/survival related. Genuine Victorinox and Leatherman instead of the dollar store flea market knockoffs, for example. I'm totally with you there. Older tech when it comes to lights doesn't equate to obsolete in my mind. Agreed. I think he meant in performance. For examples there are lights now that are half the size (or less) of lights 5 years ago but with better performance, better battery life, and still maintain heat management fairly well. Also we have lights now with far more throw or lumens then ever before. I have older Malkoff dropins that serve well, for example. Agreed. Older lights may not have the same performance but can still get the job done and are very usable. As time went by here, I gravitated towards lights that have a reputation for holding up under adverse conditions, that replacement parts are readily available for, and whose producers have good customer service. Makes sense. My 2 cents. Thank you.

ELZ

Newly Enlightened
Hey Kevin. It's because I feel like these lights are the best for my purposes, and nothing new has come out that I've seen with the qualities that I want: They fit my hand, are durable, and are single mode with a non-latching momentary switch.

I appreciate a simple design and a simple UI with as few features as possible. There are a lot of really cool new lights out there that are very bright and have lots of great features, and I would buy them all if I could, but having that kind of light is not a high priority for me.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Kevin. It's because I feel like these lights are the best for my purposes, and nothing new has come out that I've seen with the qualities that I want: They fit my hand, are durable, and are single mode with a non-latching momentary switch.

I appreciate a simple design and a simple UI with as few features as possible. There are a lot of really cool new lights out there that are very bright and have lots of great features, and I would buy them all if I could, but having that kind of light is not a high priority for me. ​Got it. Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My collection started out innocent enough. In 2014(?) I needed a brighter light at work one night. A coworker had one. A really nice one. At that point I largely avoided places like Home Depot and buying stuff on the internet was what 'those other people' did. I knew WalMart had a flashlight section but my old Maglite still worked just fine. When my coworker showed up with a 3c cell sized light that put out 300 lumens from an LED light, I was intrigued. You mean that LED thing wasn't just a fad afterall? They're actually useful? Oh heavens I must try this out.

A few lights from Lowes, Home Depot and Wal Mart later I joined CPF. That where I learned zoomies suck, I am required to use 18650 batteries or I suck, and if my light isn't regulated it sucks. But never one to hop on the conventional wisdom train I set out on a path of learning about what led to company A or company B being so popular with police. Eventually I had a vast array of flashlights used by police, firefighters, ems, coal miners and military folks going back as far as the world war 1 era. Many had technology still in use today.

Along the way I managed to obtain some modern lights as well, but those have never fascinated me like ones from say, 2015 or so when 500 lumens from a pair of CR123 batteries was a huge ordeal. Nowdays 500 from one CR123 is plausible. Yet 90% of my flashlights needs involves 50 lumens or less. To buy one light for $300+ is great for some. I set my limit at $150 and only exceeded that due to shipping cost a couple of times. To me the best light is the one I have nearby that works. ​To this day I do not have any lights that use an 18650 for its primary source of electricity except ones I modified to use them.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The responses here illustrate one of the things I love about this place. Varied responses, from new and oldtimers alike, no ridicule or "my way is better" posts. Just honest opinions from a variety of members, honest answers to the OP's question. I needed that. Thanks all...
:thumbsup::grouphug:lovecpf

besafe2

Enlightened
M
I'm new to this site so my opinion probably won't carry the weight of the more experienced guys.

For me, flashlights are tools meant to be used, kind of like knives. I don't need the best flashlight out there. What I need is something I can rely on and one I can trust. "Best" is a subjective term. We all have our favorites. But if I trust that the lights I have will work when I need them, then as far as I'm concerned, I do indeed have the best.

Makes sense to me as I'm the same.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have to buy many lights to figure out what is the best for you. Learning what size, beam, and interface as well as brand is personal preference. Some person on a flashlight forum telling you what is best for you only goes so far. I've got my flashlight favorites that I consider the best at about 25 different ones I mostly use. The other 75 or so don't get much use and I don't really want to sell them at 25 cents on the dollar so I just keep them.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm buying a light for a specific purpose, then "good enough for the purpose" is what I aim for. Some purposes require quality lights, some don't.

If I'm buying an EDC light, then I'd rather spend $200 on one light that scratches all my itches than spending $40 on 5 lesser lights that all have limitations or annoyances.

But once my needs are covered, I'm quite content to buy "inexpensive" lights that I'm curious about. Novelty has a value all its own.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not rough on stuff in general and I every tool and/or machine I use in its designed purpose. As a result I have never had a flashlight break utilizing this same method so I simply obtain a light for specific range of tasks.
Headlamp for hands free work
Thrower for searching
Small EDC for the backpack
Pocket EDC for the pocket
Keychain light
I kept the 2D as it was my first light, it stays incandescent for nostalgia

I find if I have too many of a certain thing it wastes time and money that could be spent elsewhere.

adnj

Enlightened
I have bought many lights starting when a Surefire or Maglite incandescent was the only light to carry. You get what you like and you use them. You'll figure it out.

There's nothing like buying a handmade flashlight for $350, waiting for 10 years, then finding that you prefer something that you got in a group buy for $50 because it fills the same role better.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

carrot

Flashaholic
Like some of the illustrious collectors here, I like to have many of the best.

With things as they are on commoditized led footprints and engine threading, it's possible to drag many less modern lights into the modern era with a mere emitter swap.

Some hermetically sealed lights notwithstanding.

Right now I have been rather pleased with lights where I get to talk to the maker and maybe get something a little different, adjusted just to my taste. For what it's worth, I hope my tastes don't change too much!