MCE 4500K and 6500K - good choices ?

the badger

Enlightened
I have to be quick on this one as Jason is shipping my lights tomorrow...

I ordered two Alpha Blue-Label lights, one with the MCE 4500K (Jason's choice) and a second with the MCE 6500K. Is this a good choice, or should I have gone with the 6500K XM-L? I'm really not sure. I like neutral tints but I like cooler tints too, depending on the light/reflector.

Any help or advise is appreciated. I've got about 4-hours to figure this out before bed.

Thanks.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello, - very good choice MCE 5600.

6500 is a nice cool but MCE over XML easily.
5600 would be a nice neutrally cool tint. different.
I say you made a brilliant choice on this.

5600 for me!.
thanks.

i really like my 4500 makers choice too.
the reflector makes such a difference.

the badger

Enlightened
hello, - very good choice MCE 5600.

6500 is a nice cool but MCE over XML easily.
5600 would be a nice neutrally cool tint. different.
I say you made a brilliant choice on this.

5600 for me!.
thanks.

i really like my 4500 makers choice too.
the reflector makes such a difference.

Say what??

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice on one of each tint on MCE. Beautiful flood beam with the boom Ledil reflector.

XML will be more efficient. But you can get that from many other lights. Not many lights are built with MCE.

If you find any not agreeable with you, I will gladly take it off you. :)

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take the MC-E 4500K light off you if you don't like it :D

the badger

Enlightened
The MCE is 6500K (not 5600K)

Ha I was super confused last night with neutralwhite's reply because I know that the MCE is 6500K and thought I typed 6500K. Then your reply had me re-reading my OP. Sure enough, the mistake was on me...I typed "5600K" in a hurry as I was trying to get that post out then rush off to dinner. Lol. OP edited for clarity.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have both 5600k and 6500k lighted up side by side, most people would not recognize the difference. The 6500k is cooler for sure but at 5600k lighted up individually, it will just register as cool white. Unless you get to 5000k where the beam starts to get a bit creamy yellowish, anything above that is just cool.

the badger

Enlightened
I have a Surefire U2 with a 5000K XP-G2, and when compared to my Malkoff "Cool" Hound Dog and McGizmo Haiku, it looks almost incandescent. I like the slightly warmer tints but not too warm. I'm thinking 5000-5500K is my favourite, but I'm not totally sure yet. I also have a Mac's Customs Tri-EDC on its way, which according to Mac is 5000K (3x XP-G2s putting out 838 OTF lumens), and a Malkoff "Neutral" Hound Dog with 5000K XM-L2.

My Alpha Blue-Label with 4000K (not 4500K) MCE might be a little too warm for me, hence my decision to buy the 6500K MCE as a second choice. One of those will be a keeper and the other I will sell. The problem I'm having lately is that I have too many lights with different temp LED's and it's driving me nuts. Right when I get used to one temp light (Malkoff or McGizmo), I go ahead and use my U2 Ultra and start to love the warmer temp. Then I want to sell my cooler lights until I use them again, and then I love them again.

I have a problem I think.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually a 5000k tint should not give an Incan feel, it should be far from it.
You should really keep all of them. I am a bit like you, I like to keep changing from time to time.
A bit of a "Tint Casanova". Never loyal to one. I will be looking forward to the opportunity to buy which ever one you choose to divorce. :)
:)

the badger

Enlightened
Well it's definitely NOT incandescent. I meant when directly compared to the other lights it looks a little more on the incandescent side of the spectrum (not scientifically of course).

Maybe I'll keep then all. Not sure yet! :p

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you finding your pair of MCEed Alphas. Any clear winner between the 2 color temperatures? Bet you like the warmer of the two. Most people do. :)

Would love to hear what you think?

the badger

Enlightened
How are you finding your pair of MCEed Alphas. Any clear winner between the 2 color temperatures? Bet you like the warmer of the two. Most people do. :)

Would love to hear what you think?

I like them both, but have yet to decide if I will keep both, or sell one (most likely keep both). Honestly though, I like the 6500K outside and the 4500K inside. Here in the forests of Southwestern BC (Vancouver) the forest floor, including ground and tree trunks, etc is all brown. The 6500K gives a level of contrast that the 4500K does not - the 4500K blends in with the brown and makes it tougher to see properly. Whereas indoors the 6500K is way too cool and makes it tough to see fine details. Make sense?
My 6500K MCE puts out 632 Lumens and the 4500K MCE puts out 460 Lumens.

Here's a couple of quick pics:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad to hear that you are liking it.
I have one coming in as well.

Usually the warmer tints gives better depth perception especially in areas where the ground is very busy. The whiter color tends to wash out a lot of the details and differentiation.

I am sure you like the beam pattern created by the MCE on the Ledil Boom reflector. I do.

Enjoy it.

the badger

Enlightened
I like the Ledil Boom, but WOW is it ever floody!

And I agree with the contrast effect of the 4500K, it really does make the colors punch out at you. However, with the brown forest here, and the warm tint, it really makes the colors blend in.
It's a very tough call though.

I have a cool Hound Dog, and have coming this week a warm Hound Dog, warm & cool Wildcat and a Tri-EDC, so I'll have to compare them all and then make a decision.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a cool Hound Dog, and have coming this week a warm Hound Dog, warm & cool Wildcat and a Tri-EDC, so I'll have to compare them all and then make a decision.
Geez. You are really on a buying spree.
The Wildcats are going to wow you.
Try them using the MD2 on a single 18650.
The Tri-EDC is going to be pocket rocket.