• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo - 2018

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with easilyled regarding XPL-HI. Once we're throwing our wishes in the well, I'd add mine: an updated Lunasol with XPL-HI center emitter and the Yuji High CRI 5mm flood emitters.

non

Newly Enlightened
All roads lead to McGizmo. It was a twisty flashlight journey(pun not intended). Glad I finally made it to my single level high CRI Mule.
Don- Don't you go changing

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think whatever comes next, and I'm looking forward to it, McGizmo will remain the mark of pioneering the path of efficient LEDs, high CRI, use of titanium, tritium vials and sapphire lenses ! Yes, the whole package, quite an achievement.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these days I'm going to have to make enough room to get to the old toolbox where my old lights are stored. I know there's some old shiny Ti goodness (PD's, a mule, who knows what else...) from Don sitting in a Pelican case in there. Time flies but those lights are timeless. It's been many years since i hit Don up for a light, might need to change that. Maybe one of those fancy new Haiku's everybody is talking about.

light-modder

Enlightened
Do it Fitz! Then post a picture of the whole collection. I checked your profile to see when you joined and saw you live in Missouri! I grew up in south west Missouri. Now live in south east Kansas.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I got my first Haiku 8 years ago this week, and still love the XPG R5 it came with. I have an XML, along with a Red Haiku, however, this first XPG R5 has been clipped to my pocket, and as a result this Haiku has been all over the world, in some very amazing places. Along with other lights as it is hard to carry just one.

I have had it with me everyday since opening the box. I give it a scotch brite touch up now and again, to keep it looking brand new. I think the Haiku lights are timeless in their design, look, ergonomics and 3 Speed UI.

Something like once a week I will yell out is: "Where is my Haiku!!" and my wife, friends and assistants no longer pay any attention to me as I usually say in a few seconds: "Oh, there it is, nevermind" I keep thinking somehow I've lost it, especially at the TSA check points, I've yelled it there too, of course no one can grasp someone saying something like that, out loud, so to them I'm just another nut boarding a flight.

Thanks for for the Haiku, Don, I really love them.

All the best,

RL.

Last edited:

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply the best..
And inspirational too, from design to performance, reliability and.. lifestyle
Happy new year Don!

Dknight16

Newly Enlightened
My first custom light was a McGizmo Haiku. My second was a McGizmo Mule. My third was a McGizmo Sundrop XR-U. I went from zero customs lights to three in less than a year. Since then I added a couple of triples (Hanko and BOSS). But my most cherished and by far most often carried lights are Don's exquisite creations.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I have set up as Don McGizmo on FaceBook for anyone interested.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Very much agree ....

I concur.

Facebook has nearly pulled off what AOL did when the WWW was young, allowing many users to believe it was the entirety of the Internet, and not just a BBS community and Internet gateway provider, which is all AOL was. Facebook is a website, so maybe this accomplishment is even more impressive. As with AOL, the sheer volume of Facebook membership means it should not be ignored for marketing and sales. But so many FB members with commercial interests exclude the rest of the Internet by embracing only Facebook, and I, for one, will never join Facebook.

At least McGizmo has a website of his own and an active membership at CPF. Facebook and CPF probably offer convenience and comprehendability for McGizmo, who is just one man. But other than the understandable resistance to having to administrate a more complicated site, growing too quickly may be another reason he might not want to set up commercial sales and marketing under his own domain (by hiring a competant pro web developer, and coughing up the $50 it may cost to automate "buy me now!," just as it is automated at eBay, Amazon, and even far smaller vendors).

McGizmo does show some toes in the water, so to speak, maybe up to his knees, of web development on his own, so I doubt he hasn't considered this: once it gets up to your neck, if only throwing the terminal in the ocean could stop the ever growing attention it requires. The next step, of expanding his own domain, could be a real headache, even if everything goes smoothly, the possible avalanche of expected new sales, and too many customers with too many impatient demands of "where's mah flashlight!"

Facebook is more easily ignored when necessary, to maintain autonomy, and still be able to surf during business hours, than domain-specific sales and possible government agency scrutiny (from fickle customers that fire-off grievances without understanding).

I think Don's customers are opposite, and he likes it that way. You can not choose the McGizmo. The McGizmo chooses YOU!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I can certainly understand a business owner haveing a presence on FB, can't hurt, however, McGizmo is not really in the flashlight business, he is in the "Luxury Business,"

I was taught this by a high level Rolex executive at a PGA Tour event I was covering, and he invited me for lunch because he saw my 50th anniversary Submariner, and I had been talking to Aronold Palmer about the timepieces that afternoon, it was at Bermuda Dunes CC in 2009 where we have a home, and so did Mr Palmer.

At that lunch, I made a comment to the Rolex Rep. "How's the watch business," and he said "I don't have any idea, we are in the luxury business."

McGizmos are a luxury in the world of flashlights. They are truly something special, and share common traits with Rolex, and other luxury goods, tough well made, can be used everyday, and serviceable as a lifetime piece. With something as special as these lights are we need to look beyond what we think flashlights are.

And just because AP and I were neighbors then, I never ever went to his home, a round the bend of the Dunes, we became friends, but never on the same level. Always know your place.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
For me, it all started here and this is McGizmo home. I have no desire to build a dynasty or "compete" with those who have come into the scene; some with original ideas and some only adept at copying. As long as you guys are around and some of you request my lights, I will be here. :bow: And I just dumped a bunch of whale pics. :nana:

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, as someone relatively unfamiliar with this subforum, it's not at all clear which thread is the "offerings" thread, or what's being offered there.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, as someone relatively unfamiliar with this subforum, it's not at all clear which thread is the "offerings" thread, or what's being offered there.

I am sorry it is so confusing. The available lights thread hopefully has the information but perhaps not easily determined. In terms of interchangeable components/ lights UI am offering the Mule, SunDrop, Haiku and Makai. They are available with a choice of LED; Cree XML2, Cree XPG2, or Nichia 119V. They can consist of a battery pak of either 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x123, 2x123. I am working with 4 different converters depending on what battery is intended to drive the LED. These heads and paks are interchangeable mechanically but the light engines need to be mated with the appropriate battery supply.

In addition to the lights mentioned above where are "E-series" compatible, I am also offering the Aqua and Terra Ram and Mule which are based on a single protected 18650 Li-Ion battery. The heads and paks here are interchangeable as well. For instance you could get a Terra Mule and a separate Aqua pak so you could use the head on either a dive proof twisty pak or clickie pak.

And finally, there is a stand alone AAA Sapphire which is a simple keychain, single speed light.

I hope this helps some. I have a very difficult time getting into this forum anymore and it took a number of visits and attempts on the computer to get access to this thread and attempt a response. Hopefully this will post...