• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Custom LED Options

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Then a red Haiku would be great. I'll retest mine and give you an update, haven't had it out in a while.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am curious to hear your results and thoughts

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Don

Are light engines for the Haiku swapped out as easily as the mule and sundrop? i would love to be able to purchase different engines to try out and then build lights around them as time goes on. Are Green, Royal Blue or Red available for the Haiku?

Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Haiku adds the complexity of the reflector(s) .

Certain reflectors are designed for certain emitters, and they need to also be electrically isolated from the contact points ....

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Arch. I am a clueless fan of these lights. I love them but am ignorant to most of what makes them so cool...

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
it would be a pencil thin beam of red light, no flood. White or red.

Well that isn't what I want. I owned a makai XML and it had nice flood with a hot spot in the center and offered nice throw

Last edited:

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't think the red would work like an XML, Don would know better. For me a haiku is the one for what you are doing.

So Red, is there a modder that can sell me a haiku engine, or install a red led?

thanks

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I realize that. In this thread I have been informed that mules and sun drops are easily converted to Red led. At this point I am looking for available green, Royal or red engines for the haiku, or someone who can handle the mod. Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
I believe that McGizmo prefers to be eMailed directly on any specialized custom build inquiries.

I have seen Red, Blue, and UV mentioned specifically in the past. Perhaps IR, too ? I don't recall Green, but certainly may be possible.

Aftermarket Aleph light engines are certainly possible. I also have Amber, Cyan, MC-E neutral white, XP-L warm white, and others. Not sure this is the place for that discussion though ....

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yes, I realize that. In this thread I have been informed that mules and sun drops are easily converted to Red led. At this point I am looking for available green, Royal or red engines for the haiku, or someone who can handle the mod. Thanks

I have some red, royal blue, IR Osram dragons that I have used and they will work in the Haiku if you use a XML reflector and machine the O-ring cup off the rear. The beam pattern does have a bright small spot in the middle but the flood portion is quite bright due to the lens on these particular LED's. For exchanging light engines at will, the Makai is a better choice to go along with the Mule and SunDrop since with these three heads there is no special contact between the LED and optic and you can screw and unscrew LE's at will without any concern for alignment or such. Granted the Makai head is not small and easily pocketed like the Haiku.

astewartconst1

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't think the red would work like an XML, Don would know better. For me a haiku is the one for what you are doing.

I just got a Makai head and installed the red led into it and on my 2x123 body.

It is awesome. I haven't been out in the real dark yet with it but around the house is has nice flood with a bright red beam. To me it seems like t has the same characteristics of the XML Makai beam just red and not as bright

Photos to come

s142nv

Newly Enlightened
This thread may have me picking up another McGizmo. Great info here and thanks for sharing the shots of the red beam.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have recent beam shots to add to the thread? Have added some colored LED's to my rotation, but always looking for something new and interesting...