• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo for Photography

wundergussy

Newly Enlightened
I meant trade a full Hi-CRI head for the full XML Head. They'd both work on a standard 1x123 pak, right? I don't want to mess with my Haiku in any way.

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh, if you are only talking Mules, then you can just trade the XM-L LE with a Nichia 119 LE. In the Mule there isn't a reflector to worry about so they all work in there. Then you can keep the same head if you want.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a mod may want to pull out from post #117 onwards into a new thread discussing the options. The OP for this thread may not be impressed with post not pertaining to McGizmo for photography.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the process of looking for a mule for my daughter for her photography and was wondering if the AA Mule would be sufficient, or should I go with the 3V 1x123 version? The AA certainly gives more flexibility in terms of batteries.

dolphincry

Newly Enlightened
IMG_1313.JPG

seafood restaurant in Malaysia, pics taken with iphone and Mule 119v as an extra lighting

DTF

Enlightened
I am in the process of looking for a mule for my daughter for her photography and was wondering if the AA Mule would be sufficient, or should I go with the 3V 1x123 version? The AA certainly gives more flexibility in terms of batteries.
What is the typical subject matter for your daughter? What is the distance from her to the subject? How large is the typical subject? If the subjects are mostly people, might want to consider the Sundrop instead. For product/food photos, the Mule is better. I would think that in most cases, the AA hi cri (Mule or Sundrop) would be plenty.

No matter what, be sure to get the clip with 1/4"-20 tapped hole. This is what really makes the McGizmo lights uniquely qualified for photo work. I also highly recommend the McGizmo tether with 1/4"-20 swivel. That makes it easy to attach the light to my wrist and freely use it at taking photos without a worry about losing the light. The clip also makes it easy to use tripod heads and hundreds of other photo mounting accessories.

Another attachment you might want to look into for your daughter are some filters for the light. The heads of the McGizmo models, except for the Makai of course, are the same 26 mm diameter. Kodak and other companies made (1-1/32") 26mm slip on filter holders for Kodak series V (5) filters. The filters are all over Ebay for cheap. The slip-on adaptors come in all sorts of variations but any series V slip-on 26mm should do the job. The green, red, orange, yellow filters are cheap and easy to find. Adds an interesting element to photography.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the typical subject matter for your daughter? What is the distance from her to the subject? How large is the typical subject? If the subjects are mostly people, might want to consider the Sundrop instead. For product/food photos, the Mule is better. I would think that in most cases, the AA hi cri (Mule or Sundrop) would be plenty.

No matter what, be sure to get the clip with 1/4"-20 tapped hole. This is what really makes the McGizmo lights uniquely qualified for photo work. I also highly recommend the McGizmo tether with 1/4"-20 swivel. That makes it easy to attach the light to my wrist and freely use it at taking photos without a worry about losing the light. The clip also makes it easy to use tripod heads and hundreds of other photo mounting accessories.

Another attachment you might want to look into for your daughter are some filters for the light. The heads of the McGizmo models, except for the Makai of course, are the same 26 mm diameter. Kodak and other companies made (1-1/32") 26mm slip on filter holders for Kodak series V (5) filters. The filters are all over Ebay for cheap. The slip-on adaptors come in all sorts of variations but any series V slip-on 26mm should do the job. The green, red, orange, yellow filters are cheap and easy to find. Adds an interesting element to photography.

DTF, Thanks for this insight. I have a "P60" mule and was thinking along the same lines as the Sundrop too. Her subject matters would mostly be medium range so that the Sundrop would may probably be more appropriate. Then there is always the option of getting the Sundrop and if it isn't right, just get the Mule and keep the Sundrop for my EDC (potato chips). The tapped clip is also an amazing feature.

DTF

Enlightened
The correct answer to which model to get, Mule or Sundrop? is to get both, of course.

Which model is correct is as much a creative decision as a technical one. I've used both and have come to rely on the Sundrop for people pictures. The reason for this that it has better reach and a nicely defined circle of light. I use that reach and the circle to frame the subject. Here's a good example of this technique. The Mule in the same situation would have produced a much different shot. I think this is a particularly good, colorful, example of the hi-cri nature of the light produced by the Sundrop.

D4A_2507.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DTF,

Which high CRI emitter is your Sundrop equipped with? Is it the Nichia 119 or the older 083?

DTF

Enlightened
Hi DTF,

Which high CRI emitter is your Sundrop equipped with? Is it the Nichia 119 or the older 083?

Mine is an 083. That's just what I ended up with. I'm sure the 119 would do much the same job.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is an 083. That's just what I ended up with. I'm sure the 119 would do much the same job.
I believe that. Personally I have no experience with the 083 emitter but I if I am not wrong it is more neutral in tint than the 119?

SamFoto

Newly Enlightened
The correct answer to which model to get, Mule or Sundrop? is to get both, of course.

Which model is correct is as much a creative decision as a technical one. I've used both and have come to rely on the Sundrop for people pictures. The reason for this that it has better reach and a nicely defined circle of light. I use that reach and the circle to frame the subject. Here's a good example of this technique. The Mule in the same situation would have produced a much different shot. I think this is a particularly good, colorful, example of the hi-cri nature of the light produced by the Sundrop.

D4A_2507.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

Hi, DTF, thanks for sharing, nice pic.
How far was between Sundrop and the girl when you take the picture?

DTF

Enlightened
We have a lively art community here in Portland. Went to this opening event because I know the folks involved and it was nearby. Used my Nikon D4 with a vintage Nikon 20mm manual focus lens and my Sundrop. The dancer is out of range for the most part but I did get the Sundrop on him as he moved by. Where the Sundrop came into good use is in the last third of the video. Throughout this part, the only light is the Sundrop. Of course, there is some extreme processing going on here but the light and colors really are just a Sundrop. Probably one of the more avant-garde uses for one of Don's lights. Please be forewarned, this is some weird Portland stuff. Nothing dirty, just typical Portland weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-9F-vz_4H0

Note: One of the things that makes this effect work (last third of the video) is that the Sundrop is set to the lowest power.