• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Haiku XP-G Finishes Comparison

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!! :thumbsup:

That's true, but I suspect that the "If" is quite large--the BB sections are the recessed sections and hence the least likely to strike a hard or abrasive surface, and some are so recessed you'd have trouble reaching them at all without a special tool.

I love the BB finish.

Greg

Very true, Ti is really tough and so are Don's lights.

No doubt all of you are correct. And I use mine, too, and I don't 'baby' them. But there's no shame in being protective of them! I use my car every day, but try my best to avoid scratches on it. I ride my bike, but try my best not to drop it or crash...:crazy:

I use all my lights, and they range from HA aluminum to titanium - and the same care is exercised with all of them.

The original question was, "which finish...". As I stated, I love them both - and I own them both - but as coloradogps stated, the plain finish is easier to clean up.

To each his own.... :eek:

SFfanman

Enlightened
Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!! :thumbsup:

:D I like the "kissing granite" part. It is great to know there is proof that the lights can take it and haven't gone :poof:. I try to uphold that philosophy: "This is a high-quality lighting tool with which can be treated like any other - toss in the tool box, throw it in the bed of a car, slide it along the ground to meet the hands of a mechanic's assistant" kind of light. Unfortunately, my eyes convince my brain that she need to be treated with care. I am working on it though as it is more a mental thing than anything else. Either way, still diggin the regular finish and enjoying all the commentaries.

Anyone be interested in a 'Haiku user-story' thread similiar to the 'What did you use your light today?' one?

Roccomo

Enlightened
the plain finish is easier to clean up.

Agreed. I like keeping mine (LS 20) looking new and it's an EDC user that's hit the ground a few times. Never had a problem removing a dent/ding or scratch. I don't think I could touch up the bead blast myself though. Cool looking as it is.

davec611

Newly Enlightened
Well that settles it a normal finish Haiku XP-G warm is my choice. I should be able to order it within 2 weeks.

I have a Sapphire that should be delivered tomorrow to hold me over. :twothumbs

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I like keeping mine (LS 20) looking new and it's an EDC user that's hit the ground a few times. Never had a problem removing a dent/ding or scratch. I don't think I could touch up the bead blast myself though. Cool looking as it is.
You can't touch up BB finish. If it's scratched, it's scratched.

Unless you have a BB cabin like I do, and can reblast the whole thing to new condition whenever you feel it's time for a refresh :thumbsup:

My lights have been "new" a few times for most, each time I feel like I have a new flashlight. It's pretty cost effective actually :D