McGizmo HD45 Osram Diamond Dragon FLuPIC 2.2A Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Great work as always, Will! Do you happen to have any comparable beamshots of the HD45 DD and maybe a luxV HD45?

Sorry, I planned to post a beamshot but the light shipped the very next morning & I was not able to. I reserved the second post for them too. Looks like Donn can help here. :poke: :grin2:

Wow! That's all I can think of. They just arrived (Pretty durn fast from the left coast), and I fired them up. Wow!

There's just no comparison between the Diamond Dragon in the HD45 and either the SSCP4 or the X-Bin. It's easily twice as bright, and has a spectacular hot-spot. The overall beam quality is superb.

I'll try to set up comparative beam shots between the 3 HD45s later.

I can also report the XX1T emitter inside the PR head works beautifully. I screwed it onto a Balrog 2x body with an Aleph TC (22 Ohm), and it makes a perfect little Pocket Rocket with 2x RCR123s.

Great work, Will.

:thanks:

Wow, that has to be some sort of record! Shipped on Sat from Cali & delivered in NY on Monday! Good to hear Donn, I'm glad they meet your expectations. :thumbsup:

Awsome mod Will :)

Maybe one of these emitters in my LionCub....

Donn_ you lucky dawg :thumbsup:

Benny, sure can do if you can supply the emitter. I don't have any. The DD performs better with the larger 27mm reflector.

Mr Bulk Dragon Heart Osram Diamond Dragon Mod
More Mr Bulkware Mods: SSC P7s & Osram Diamond Dragons

In the standard 20mm head throw is not as great. The K2 TFFC would be a better choice for throw. Not sure if you would like this bin that came from MJ, tint is very cool..

donn_

Flashaholic
I'm very frustrated.

I went to great lengths to set up indoor screenshots, against a white ceiling, and got good shots of all three emitters in the HD45; X-Bin, SSC P4 and Diamond Dragon.

The problem is I haven't been able to figure out how to use Photoshop Elements to create an animated GIF of the 3 files.

So for now, here's a pic of the three lights against a beige wall...~12 feet away:

IMGP2946.jpg

Left-to-right, X-bin, SSC-P4 and Diamond Dragon.

If I can stay awake, I'll try to get outdoor shots later.

BSBG

Enlightened
I'm very frustrated.

The problem is I haven't been able to figure out how to use Photoshop Elements to create an animated GIF of the 3 files.

GIFs in PSE are not easy. My wife downloaded a free editor from CNET that is just drag and drop for a GIF, no frames, layers etc.

Great beamshots, you get an idea of the intensity of the Diamond Dragon.

donn_

Flashaholic
Got it! Photoscape from CNET does the trick quite nicely:

aniHD45.gif

The lights were tail-standing on the same spot on the floor, and the white ceiling is 8' away. The camera was elevated 2' and slightly offset.

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet!

I need to find one of those DD leds to put in a light. When I do I know just the guy to build the LE too. ;)

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Wow, nice comparison Donn! I had no idea it was that much brighter. I've worked with a number of these & while I do know they're brighter I never realized it was that much different! Now I need to build me a DD light for myelf too! :ohgeez:

Sweet!

I need to find one of those DD leds to put in a light. When I do I know just the guy to build the LE too. ;)

For you, anytime my friend! I'm trying to think of something for you to do for me! Not that I need it, just so I can say "yup Brian did this one". :grin2:

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Hey Donn,
You wouldn't have any outdoor beamshots of that great mod with the original x bin would you? Reason I ask is that I have an HD45 (x bin) and would really like to upgrade to the DD.

Regards.

donn_

Flashaholic
Sorry, I don't, and I no longer own an X-Bin HD45. I do, however, have a 1x18650 C-Mag with an X-Bin in an McR45 reflector, so it should be pretty much identical in performance. I'll try to organize an outdoor shoot.

sgt253

Enlightened
Thanks Donn, most appreciated. Really would like to get a feel for the DD. Trying to decide if I should upgrade my XX1T HD45. Decisions, decisions...

Regards.