• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Standing wave of Sapphire 25's , GS and now High CRI

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS

I am a complete newbie, with a Sapphire, and a couple of 10440 batteries. Can I use these in the Sapphire?
The converter in the sapphire can handle up to 4.5 V as I recall. Min V-in is somewhere around .8 -.9 V. The Sapphire was designed around the AAA battery geometry. Not knowing anything about your 10440 batteries, I don't know if this information helps or not.

zeppo

Newly Enlightened

Cheers Mc, the batteries are 3.7 volt, that should not be a problem than. If it gets too hot I will turn it off. I love the light, also saved enough to get a Haiku, just standing on the edge of buying one.

Thanks again!

Ps Just tried it, the little plus knob couldn't get past the +/- safety sponge, Im gonna stick to the safe side and keep using the eneloop.

Last edited:

persco

Enlightened

Which version of the Haiku would you recommend? All of the different options are still a little confusing. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for the help

I think the only options available are Nichia 119 led or XML. The Nichia will be a lot less bright but the tint is very natural. The XML is a whiter tint but very much brighter and floodier. You should ask your Haiku questions in another thread or start a new thread in the McGizmo forum. This thread is really for the Sapphire light. PM me if you want more info. Good luck! The Haiku is awesome (AWESOME).

fyrstormer

Banned

Cheers Mc, the batteries are 3.7 volt, that should not be a problem than. If it gets too hot I will turn it off. I love the light, also saved enough to get a Haiku, just standing on the edge of buying one.

Thanks again!

Ps Just tried it, the little plus knob couldn't get past the +/- safety sponge, Im gonna stick to the safe side and keep using the eneloop.
They are NOT 3.7 volts. With a full charge, they are 4.2 volts; almost dead, they are 2.7 volts. The *average* voltage is 3.7 volts. Yes, it's a goofy way to label a battery, but those are the real numbers anyway.

Anyway, you should be able to use them since the full-charge voltage comes in just under the maximum rating of the driver board. If the anti-battery-rattle sponge is too thick, you can build up the solder blob in the center a bit to compensate. However, there will be no performance benefit to using a 10440 instead of an Eneloop, so it might not be worth the trouble if you already have Eneloops handy.

zeppo

Newly Enlightened

There is an Eneloop in the Sapphire now and I was gonna leave it that way, thanks for the further explanantion though, it helps...

eklimpke

Newly Enlightened

Received my Sapphire 25 GS on Monday. This is a great little light. My first custom flashlight and defiantly not my last.

Thanks Don.

piglet

Newly Enlightened

Payment sent. Looking forward to getting my first custom light!

Guess I should get hold of some eneloops - all this talk on the forums of alkalines leaking has made me more 'protective' of my lights.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS

Payment sent. Looking forward to getting my first custom light!

Guess I should get hold of some eneloops - all this talk on the forums of alkalines leaking has made me more 'protective' of my lights.

Just get some lithium primaries. They last forever in them. Pointless to hassle yourself with rechargeables. Congrats.

mattp

Enlightened

I wouldn't say Eneloops are a hassle, I've changed mine maybe once or twice in the 18 months I've had my Sapphire GS... Lithium primaries should last even longer, so either option really ends up pretty cheap and convenient, you can't lose.

piglet

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys, I went ahead with the eneloops, I guess if I was to go down that route, I may as well do it at the start. Appreciate the advice, though.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great. I personally almost exclusively use rechargeables for all my lights.
I only suggested the lithium since you do not have rechargeable battery and the charger yet. And I would think many people would have trouble going thru one or two lithiums in a year, I ended up just using the lithium and not bothered with rechargeable.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think Ben's point was that for a light that you will rarely change the batteries in, tying up useful rechargeables is kind of pointless. The advantage of rechargeables becomes diminished if you only change it once a year. In other words, why bother?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Ben's point was that for a light that you will rarely change the batteries in, tying up useful rechargeables is kind of pointless. The advantage of rechargeables becomes diminished if you only change it once a year. In other words, why bother?

That was a money strike. However different people will have their own ideas about convenience..
:)

piglet

Newly Enlightened

It's arrived. It's a fantastic piece of design.

Currently living on my gf's keyring. At least I know she has a torch with her.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a little treat for myself...

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys,
This thread is a standing wave offering for the titanium Sapphire 25 AAA flashlights. By standing wave, I mean that I hope to be able to stay ahead of demand and keep these available until further notice. Time will tell. I am holding to the same price as the original Sapphire even though the new converter used here was more expensive and I have added labor involved in the assembly. To be clear in this offering of Sapphire 25's, the only difference between these and the original Sapphire's is that of the converter used. From external view, the lights are the same. In terms of performance, the Sapphire 25 is not as bright as an original Sapphire on a fresh battery. The Sapphire 25 (25 mA drive current to LED) should give you almost 5 hours of runtime on an alkaline AAA battery with an output near 5 lumens. You will still have useable light after 12 hours but with obvious indication that it's time to change the battery!!

The LED used in these is the same as the original Sapphire, a Nichia 3 mm 310DS.

DSC_1310.jpg

My hope and intent is to process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

DSC_1847.jpg

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: Sapphire 25
Your CPF name
(if you have one)
Your real name and mailing address
phone number if international shipment
Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD. For more information on the Sapphire 25, please review THIS THREAD.

All of these lights sport some tool marks and various cosmetic singularities. Some may be obvious and some you may need to look closely for.

If you receive one of these lights and decide that it does not meet your expectation then you can either lower your expectations or simply send the light back for a full refund. I won't offer an exchange for probably obvious reasons. (please don't abuse this offer)

Like all of my Ti lights, the Sapphire is designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light. Take it under water and you are on your own. (I do :eek: )

Sapphire 25 - $150 plus shipping*

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order.

EDIT:
Adding (9-2-11) the Sapphire GS to the standing wave offering~

Hi guys,

Now in addition to the Sapphire 25 I am offering what we can call the Sapphire GS. The only difference is in the LED itself. The Sapphire 25 uses the Nichia 3 mm 310 DS as explained in the original thread. The GS uses the new generation of Nichia 5 mm GS LED. This LED is more efficient than the 310 DS and can be driven much harder although it will be coasting in the Sapphire as the same 25 mA converter is being used. The main differences one will see is in the tint of the beam. I am using a warm LED and by virtue of the greater efficiency in the dice, the output in lumens is comparable to the cooler 310DS. Both lights will give you about 5 lumens of light and the GS might give you a bit better run time to boot.

As you can see in the photos below, the Sapphire 25 and Sapphire GS look to be the same except inside the window. (A very cool looking moth was present for the otherwise quite boring photo shoot)

DSC_6755.jpg

The Sapphire GS is on the right and if you look closely you can see that there is a 5 mm LED in there and not the 3 mm even though the dice look similar in size.

DSC_6754-AAA.jpg

The Sapphire GS is the same price, $150 plus postage and if you would like one of these, please designate that you want the GS . I have a limited number of these on hand at present as I have built them from a small shipment of the LED's. I have a large order of more of the GS LED's on order but it will be weeks before I get them. I guess this is a pretty hot selling LED for Nichia at present.

Hello Sir/Madam,
Is this Sapphire 25 still on sale? I understand this thread has been on the Internet for several years already, ancient, in terms of today's modern technology. I've been searching the Internet for a long time and don't seem to be able to find a seller for this particular product. I even went into the McGizmo's website, but its still under construction.
Cheers,
Mystery-Man

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Sir/Madam,
Is this Sapphire 25 still on sale? I understand this thread has been on the Internet for several years already, ancient, in terms of today's modern technology. I've been searching the Internet for a long time and don't seem to be able to find a seller for this particular product. I even went into the McGizmo's website, but its still under construction.
Cheers,
Mystery-Man
I am sure they are. You can email Don and ask him. [email protected]

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened

The only way to purchase McGizmo lights (new) is via direct email to Don. See this page (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info) for availability and specific how-to-order info. The Sapphire is still available.

Thanks pjandy for the email address, and thanks to you for the link to this valuable info. I really do appreciate it very much! I did get hold of this legendary 'Don'!
Would any of you choose this 'Titanium Arc-AAA LED Flashlight' instead of the McGizmo Sapphire? I understand they are both very similar.
Any other suggestions for a keyring flashlight/torch?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

The earlier Arc version is no longer available unless you can buy it in the secondary market. The beam is a touch brighter and cooler. The present Sapphire does have a bit better runtime though.
From the exterior dimensions, you can't tell them apart.

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened

The earlier Arc version is no longer available unless you can buy it in the secondary market. The beam is a touch brighter and cooler. The present Sapphire does have a bit better runtime though.
From the exterior dimensions, you can't tell them apart.

Sorry mate, but I found the 'Titanium Arc-AAA LED Flashlight' at this website http://www.arcflashlight.com/titanium-aaa.shtml. Apparently its Not a secondary market, but the original company that sells the Arc. However, I still have no doubt the Mcgizmo is a very fine product. Just hoping to hear some comparisons. Thanks!