• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Standing wave of Sapphire 25's , GS and now High CRI

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS

My Sapphire Mule is one of the most unique and special little gems in my collection for just that reason!

ibcj

Enlightened

I'll express my interest as well, although I realize it may not become an option. The sapphire is my favorite light, and I have been longing for a new led option. I do realize that it is likely that I am just looking for a reason to give Don some more of my money. :thumbsup:

phosphor22

Enlightened

I will give them a try. I have sampled other high CRI LED's in the past and not been impressed. The viewing angle and evenness of distribution of beam pattern is as important as CRI in this light I think.

I would be interested as well in a high CRI Sapphire... if they do materialize; 3200K sounds just fine :)

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ordered some of these LED's to try in the Arc AAA Ti, that I just bought. I hope they are as good as they sound!

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dear Sir,

I know that some have modded their sapphires, I've seen that DaFab has provided such services. Maybe others also. I'm wondering what my options are.

I've got a sapphire - very beautiful light. The most beautiful in my collection and the most beautiful I can think of. Great for keychain EDC.

However, I would have loved it to be either
1) a two-mode with 0,3 and "max" lumen or
2) single mode 0,3 lumen light or
3) a single mode higher "max" light.

I'm also rather fond of warmer outputs (3700 would be perfect) and +85 HiCri.

Can some of my wishes come true??

Hopefully 1.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I got some of these high CRI Yuji LED's in the wider viewing angle (60) and 5600K and am very impressed with the performance so far. I don't know how close my integrating spher and spectrometer is to reality these days and especially with a low output LED like these but I did measure a Sapphire GS and compared it to one of these with HiCRI. I measured 5200K with the GS and 5045 on the HiCRI. CRIa was 69 pon the GS and an impressive 96 with the HiCRI. I measured 5.1 lumens on the GS (which is low I believe) and 3.5 lumens from the HiCRI. My guess is that the actual lumens may be closer to double for each light. The intensity of beam seemed very comparable between the two but the HiCRI has a smaller diameter flood. The evenness of intensity across the beam is better with this HiCRI LED than any I have seen with these small 5 mm LED's.

What I don't know and can't seem to see any mention of is what the lumen maintenance might be with these LED's. That is to say how long will they last.

I don't want to go full force in offering this option until there has been some units out in the field and some what of a track record established. So if anyone feels like being an early adapter. I will make one of these for you and the price will be the same, $150 plus postage. Just request a Sapphire HiCRI in your e-mail request.

Thank you The Driver for bringing these LED's to my attention. :bow:

To me the tint on these is simply white. I have no interest in messing with anything warmer than 4000K and any multi level output Sapphire would require a new converter and possibly a new head design; neither of which is in any planning stage at this point.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got some of these 5600k Hi CRI LED's in the mail, and went to work putting it in my Arc AAA Ti light. Wow! Talk about a smooth beam! Pretty much a mule beam, only narrower like a Sundrop. The tint is like Don said, "simply white". Not cool, not warm. CRI seems on par with my Nichia 219b Aleph mule. (Though things always render better to me with warmer tints) Time will tell if the LED burns out, due to the higher current of the Arc driver. Well I have a bag of 100, if it does:) Don't hesitate to order one from Don!

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast

How much current can these LEDs take? I think the driver puts out 25 mA.

eala

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe they are rated for 30mA, but mine hasn't burned out yet (I think my arc driver is like 50mA or 60mA) Here's a few shots of what it looks like.
. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Double post

Last edited:

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for posting pics beutiful tint:) color show up perfect. Love the way you showed this. Many thanks.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

What is the length on this light? Is there a spring in body? I remember reading a long time ago the Arc light crushes the battery. People had to be careful not tighten once the light is on. Is that problem with the sapphire?

fyrstormer

Banned

There is no spring in the Sapphire's body. You can crush the battery if you're too dumb to stop twisting the head after the light comes on. You won't crush the battery accidentally, you have to put effort into it.

- - -

For what it's worth, I tried some of the Nichia DS warm-tint LEDs a couple years ago and I found them to be quite pleasant. I don't think they were rated Hi-CRI specifically, but despite being warm tint they did a surprisingly good job of rendering greens, which is generally what warm LEDs struggle with.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I have now spent some time with the Hi CRI LED in the Sapphire and it really continues to impress me. With daylight color temperature, high CRI and a beam that is more artifact free than any flood beam I have seen, I feel the Sapphire has finally come to a maturity worthy of note. I am going to modify the first post in this tread announcing the option of the High CRI 5mm and reference this post. The Yuji LED is rated at 30 mA max and the driver in the Sapphire is at 25 mA so I expect the LED to hold up well in the long run. The price for a High CRI Sapphire will be the same as the GS, namely $150 plus postage.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys,
I have now spent some time with the Hi CRI LED in the Sapphire and it really continues to impress me. With daylight color temperature, high CRI and a beam that is more artifact free than any flood beam I have seen, I feel the Sapphire has finally come to a maturity worthy of note. I am going to modify the first post in this tread announcing the option of the High CRI 5mm and reference this post. The Yuji LED is rated at 30 mA max and the driver in the Sapphire is at 25 mA so I expect the LED to hold up well in the long run. The price for a High CRI Sapphire will be the same as the GS, namely $150 plus postage.

Cool. Great to see the HCRI make it to these guys. (Now make a version that's a simple High/Low two stage!) I know, I know:

To me the tint on these is simply white. I have no interest in messing with anything warmer than 4000K and any multi level output Sapphire would require a new converter and possibly a new head design; neither of which is in any planning stage at this point.