• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII PD modded three stages!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Retired*
Humm, Bulk....

Your 350 dollar comment...

That ARC4+ he modded was an expensive light to start with, and a pretty good amount of work went into the modification.
Trust me, I know first hand.

The ARC4+ light wasn't that efficient to start with, especially on high, since it was originally designed for lower current. You should know this. Foursevens mod fixed several deficiencies in the process.

As a "competitor" who makes mass quantities of lights in comparision, it is not very nice at all, to go in and thrash your "competitors" products, and imho, a lack of class.

Heck, he is just a modder, not a manufacturer, altering a light to improve upon the light's original design, as some would see it. Those same folks are purchasing the improved version.

Mr. Bulk, with your choice of emitter bins, it has been shown some of your LionCubs are slamming 1.76 Amps into the emitter. Now, do you know in fact that foursevens picked the same ill advised (imho) Vf bin that you did? Could it be that he chose a higher Vf bin that does not slam so much current into the emitter? Personally, I don't know what he choose.

Thoughts to consider.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
So 4sevens, have I got this clear. You start to twist the head and the fist kilroy leg contacts the piston. This is low power.
Now turn 60°and the remaining kilroy leg touches the piston and you have medium power. And the final 60° turn brings the piston into contact with the 'main' contact ring for full power.
Very clever.
In an early thread there was some discussion as to how long the kilroy legs would stand up to the flexing. Any thought on the longevity of this mod as regards reliability?
Also could someone direct me to a link, if one exists, to the benefits/ differences of DD versus regulated drive. Seems to be two camps on this but there surely are merits for both?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
So - you dislike the LH driver, yet you use them in at least several of your own light mods.

So which way is it?

Could it be that it is whatever sells? I say this because I notice you also sold these lights to others, these lights that are, "begging and screaming for mercy", the ones that are, "PWM junk found in the latest lionheart and lioncubs (which isn't even worth running below 30% duty cycle because it comes to like 40% efficiency and counting down - also emitters will die a horrible premature death)".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. I didn't intend for for this thread to got his way, but
you seem to have trashed the direction of this thread.

I have one simple question for you... Do you see me liquidating
any of my other quality lights? Hmm... Ask yourself this
question, why am I not selling off other lights?

Truth is, half a year ago, I like you bought into this method
of PWD DD lights and I bartered with the maker of LH/LC for
a few sets of these uC for my modding services. I've got a
handful of these chips that I still need to liquidate before
everyone jumps the PWM DD ship (note the recent mass sales of
your lights - which will inevidibly increase). I am merely
recovering my time and energy from my custom mods - unique ones
which noone else is doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There you go... I keep my nice lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trust me, when I've done with these sets of LH/LC circuits, I
won't be going back.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
4sevens said:
I have one simple question for you... Do you see me liquidating
any of my other quality lights? Hmm... Ask yourself this
question, why am I not selling off other lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Actually all anyone has to do is a search of the Mod B/S/T and they will find you selling McGizmo Alephs and in fact even a U-binned PD. Is that not a "quality light"?

Please Dave, stick to the facts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks Bernie, you're the best! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Mr. Bulk, with your choice of emitter bins, it has been shown some of your LionCubs are slamming 1.76 Amps into the emitter. Now, do you know in fact that foursevens picked the same ill advised (imho) Vf bin that you did? Could it be that he chose a higher Vf bin that does not slam so much current into the emitter? Personally, I don't know what he choose.

Thoughts to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already considered'em. Here's 4Sevens' own quote when asked if the TWOH(!!!) he chose to swap into his LionHeart was in any danger:

"TWOH is just fine. I've gone through 4 complete cycles with the TWOH and it's just as bright as ever. Brighter than a TWOJ I tried and even brighter than the TYAJ it came with."

"...as bright as ever." Due to your own theory about Luxeons dropping their Vfs, no doubt.

But don't take my word for this quote, you can see it for yourself in this THREAD.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello, please forgive my intrusion here. When walking amongst giants it's best to watch where they are going rather than where you are going.

First I'd like to apologize in advance for going off topic.

Second I'd like to ask where is Raggie, his interjection is needed here asap. Please take a step back folks.

Third Enjoy the holiday folks. My oldest son does not enjoy the bang part of fireworks, but he sure as heck loves flashlights. They make no noise (well most of the time anyway), they are bright as heck (the ones I own and mod and allow him to utilize) and they last a lot longer than any fireworks show I've ever seen.

Good luck and I hope we as a community can work this out.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ctechlite ... you are right. We do not want this style of thread in the McGizmo forum. I will close it now ... the first thread closed because of a trainwreck in this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
It is beyond repair I think and has strayed far away from the original topic.

4sevens .... feel free to start a new one about your mod anytime here.

Anglepoise ... you're welcome.

bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.