• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Sturluson

Enlightened
Don, I think I can safely predict that you won't lose any customers. The longer we wait, the greater the anticipation.

It does have a depressing effect on B/S/T, though. Those dollars are squirreled away and only a McLux Ti will pry them out...:laughing:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good things come to those who wait.....

Thanks for the update Don. This just means more time for us to save up :grin2: , although lately, it seems I am spending as fast as I can hit the "Pay Now" button.

This year has been a good year for great lights! Your Ti offerings will be the final touch.....the coup de gras....the fat lady singing......so to speak in terms of my buying lights for a while. I have my second daughter on the way in three months and will have to hang up my wallet for a while (after your Ti lights of course :naughty: ).

Boy, what a year though...and it's only June!

:thumbsup: WP

Fringe

Enlightened
Attention everyone, head over to BST, I have seen some great stuff for sale over there. This is the only way I know how to make US feel better. :)

xdanx

Enlightened
Do you think they will be done by the end of June? I have $425 burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cliff,
Thanks for the thoughts! This month has been unusual and much of my time has been spent in one time deals; furnishing a house/ shop, getting organized in a new local and what have you. I was planning on spending more time in Ti builds but have made use of the time in other tasks and projects that needed to be done at any rate. I have not been to the beach or n the water as much as I wanted to but have taken a couple hours here and there. I have even taken the camera out a couple times and yesterday I took a Ti PD first article and camera to the beach in the afternoon. I saw friendly a few times when my wife was here with me but last couple swims he was out on the reef and not in his cave.

There are a few turtles now feeding on some seaweed that grows on the reef just beyond the shoreline. These turtles are indifferent to swimmers with the exception of the few who don't know better and swim up to grab them! :green: Even then, the turtles get right back to eating!

DSC_0059.jpg

As with the McLuxIII-T, I was not able to convince any of the turtles to give it a try.

Ti-PD-Honu.jpg

They went for the greener grass as it were. :)

Ti-PD-Honu-1.jpg

I saw an interesting banded type of eel in a hole in the reef when I was taking some shots of the Ti PD and it would not be coaxed out so I used the light to fill in the shadow a bit.

Ti-PD-eel.jpg

I uploaded some pics from this visit and one I really like is the following:

DSC_0071-headshot.jpg

At one point, this big guy and two small turtles were all feeding in the same area but one of the small guys tapped this fellow on the head and he moved off. I hung around with him leting the surge bring us in to within feet of the shoreline and very shallow water and then we would drift back out. He would go down and grab some chow while I floated on the surface. Right after the shot above was taken, a wave coupled with his dive brought us together and he pushed off my chest with his fin to gain some room. I could spend hours watching these guys in UW flight and maneuvers. Actually, I think I have! :grin2:

In addition to geting wet and boring household improvements and furnishings, I picked up an electric scooter that I use to go to the market as well as the beach. Darell will be proud. I have also installed some of Wayne and my new 12V Jupiter LED lights on the front Lanai. In the pic below, all light is provided by Nichia Jupiter LED's. Behind the bushes, out of view, on the lani, is a table where I spend all of my computer time. Barefoot, in shorts and no shirt, I deal with the trials and tribulations of bidness and earning a livelihood. Poor me does not extend past possible financial considerations, IMHO.

Lanai.jpg

OK, back to topic and update. I received the balance of the Ti PD heads yesterday and conversed with the owner of the machine shop making the Ti-PD parts. He plans to have the sleeves done next week. Well that doesn't give me enough time since I return to Berkeley at the end of next week. :( I have all of the pistons now loaded with H3 vials and it looks like my planned empty luggage will now contain LED's, Ti components, converters, windows,screws, reflectors and probably something I will forget. I will be building the Ti PD's in July in Berkeley. :shrug: As soon as I have all parts in hand, I will post a new thread and discuss the damn LED bin options and thoughts as well as a notice as to a date I will open a sales thread. I still don't think these lights will all go in so quick a manner that folks will miss out but I will provide an advance notice as I said I would. I want the brunt of them built and ready to ship prior to opening a sales thread.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Don I love your pics, my fiance loves turtles, she tells me to let her know when you post post new friendly pics. :goodjob:

I must say however, the Ti PD pics are a tease! :nana:

EDIT: OK, those are McLux T pics, not Ti PD pics.... :drool:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Is that the actual McLux Ti PD you'll be selling? Didn't you say the Ti-PD's will have 8 flutes? That one looks like it has just 6.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill,
Excellent eye!! The reason I have never shown this first article before was due to its 6 flutes and the design calling out for eight! Well in the machinists confused physical move, loss of key office help and likely other acts of randomness, the change in flute design even though brought up in response to the first article never made it to the CNC program and as a result, I have all of the heads and they all have 6 flutes, not 8. I almost brought this up again after receiving a partial shipment of the heads but I figured better to have them all equal with 6 than two versions. :shrug:

With confidence but while still vapor, I stated the part would have 8 flutes. I was wrong and this is a great example of the risk in claiming fact ahead of its time. :shrug: Until I have all of the components and confirm fit and function I can't be certain I will have a viable program in the time I expect to. First article works and even survived a nice swim, nice and dry inside so there really should be no surprises but you never know...............

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm glad my eyes are still working right. Too bad. I was very curious how 8 flutes would've looked like.

nethiker

Enlightened
McGizmo said:

That's a world class photo Don. Looks like you are living your dream well. I spent my Honeymoon on Lanai and your picutures make me long to return for another visit. I just hope I can bring a Ti PD with me someday. Thanks for the updates and pics.