McTC tailcap with McClicky for my E2DL 5/200L ?

og556

Newly Enlightened
I stumbled upon a picture of a really neat tail cap on an E series surefire light. I noticed it allowed for tail standing as well as running a paracord lanyard through it.

I inquired about it and the owner informed me that the tailcap is a McTC. He pointed me towards a website called the sandwich shoppe which sells this tailcap. I was wondering if any one could tell me if this tailcap would work on my stock surefire e2dl dual mode light ?

I already ordered it on my cell phone while I was at work since there was only 2 in stock but after I got home I realized on the description page it did not state that it would work with the surefire E series light. Could any one confirm for me whether this completed assembly in the link is the right one for my E2DL ?

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=862

If I ordered the wrong thing then I might call them and try to cancel the order monday. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to find a light that it will work with.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It fits any SF E series light nicely. I have one that is used sometimes on my and Aleph SF E clone 2x123 body/VME M60 light. It is very similar to the SF Z68 tailstanding switch. I like the McTC better because of very easy switch replacement if anything ever goes wrong with the McClicky itself. If the clicky action is too soft for your tastes, get one Oveready's hard press boot kits for $2.00. Lighthound also has them. Another switch of interest is the flat version. This is the switch I keep on the VME M60 light most of the time. It is similar to the SF Z61 switch. I dont think you will be dissapointed with the purchase.

og556

Newly Enlightened
I just received the tail cap and have a couple of questions. The tailcap came with what I am assuming is the hard click version of the switch pre-installed.

The first question pertains to the length of the body and how it mates with my E2DL body. There appears to be a gap between the body and the tail cap where as with the stock tail cap there is no gap. Will this compromise the waterproofness of the light and tail cap ? Is there a boot or gasket out there that will fill this gap ?

The second question pertains to the length of the spring that comes standard with this tailcap. The spring inside the McTC with the McGizmo hard clicky is shorter than the stock SureFire Z68 spring and the E2DL's stock spring. This was measured with the necks even, not from the base since the McTC is shorter.

I also have to ask if this will be reliable over time compared to the stock SureFire assembly ?

Functionality wise it appears to be ok. I do not like how hard the boot is to activate but I guess this could be beneficial to avoid negligent discharges of the light while its in my pocket.

The finish appears to be fine although the gap is unsettling. It does cover the o-ring right above where the threads start but you can still see the top of the o-ring so I don't know how good the seal is.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the o-ring is fully covered it will not lose it's watertight integrity. Many lights include some Surefires have a small gap at the tailcap end. If it bothers you, fill it with o-rings to make it look more smooth. I just tried a McTC switch on a SF E1B and I did not see the o-ring exposed or a bigger than normal gap (~1mm) you are describing. Are you sure the McClicky switch is threaded in as far as it can go and seated snugly into the McTC housing? The spring issue will not affect functionality or reliability. Use the switch with confidence. For a softer switch, get a standard silicone McClicky boot (not the hardpress version) from Oveready, or Lighthound.