MH-C9000 and Eneloops charge rate

markr6

Flashaholic
Maybe folks shouldnt be overly concerned about charging/discharging and care for their batteries. They are not tofu. The good ones will last and the bad ones just don't. The moment products like C9000 gives the user the means to read off the various charge parameters, people get very scientific. I would say enjoy the good batteries together with the good chargers. When you "feel" your batteries aren't too right during usage, do the due diligence in giving it a nice boost. There is no joy in getting concerned each time you slot the battery into the charger and start to figure if it is ok or not, what current to charge it this time round, and if it is really "fully charged" as indicated ... hahaha ... :D

Exactly! Use 'em and abuse 'em. We overthink some things.

If Eneloops were $50/pack, then I think we would need to scrutinize every little detail.

austinios

Newly Enlightened
Sure, by all means. Just wanted to remind folks to not forget to enjoy instead of getting too immersed in the "scientific dimension" :D

I am guilty of this many a time. :)

austinios

Newly Enlightened
Oh ... you would probably already break even after 30-40 recharge and use, that's estimated based of 4Eneloops + a charger priced in the region of the Mahas compared to energizer/alkalines. If just considering rechargeable batteries alone, that's like 7-10 times before break even. Not forgetting that with batteries like Eneloops and Powerex, the batteries can last longer than the alkalines.

NiMHs have shelf lives. Expect them to degrade a little after a few years, regardless if you have charged them only once or 1000times. By then your return on investment is already attained, if not exceeded, no need to bother about stretching that dollar so much more at the cost of getting frustrated reviving those batteries. That's usually time for another fresh set of rechargeables and enjoy them again.

On the other hand, do you really want to put recharegeables into ultra low consumption devices like simple alarm clocks and remote controls that you would probably only replace batteries once or twice a year? This is where wastage is minimal and you might waste more in deploying rechargeables for such purposes.

braddy

Enlightened
I switched to rechargeables because of leak damage in my electronics, but I have also enjoyed adapting to not being conscious of usage, or the cost of using up batteries, and I like the better performance of NiMH.