MicroFire 24W HID Evaluation and Discussion thread

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Can we use PILA 168S cells in the CR123a body? :eek:oo:
Sure?
bernie

Now I've had a chance too examine it properly, I think the answer will be no.

The primary cell body looks like it connects the cells as two off (sticks of four series connected cells) in parallel giving 12v with quite a good capacity. Use RCR123 and we'll get too high a voltage (16v + from 4 cells in series). Use double length rechargeables and we'll get effectively 2 cells in series or only 8 ish volts. I'm guessing that's probably too low to drive the light reliably.

The odds are that the rechargeable pack uses just three larger cells in series giving 12 -13v output in a triangular arrangement rather than the 4 square layout in the tightly packed primary cell unit. That might also explain the slight difference in runtime.

Now I've decided I like it, I think I might get Lance to grab me a rechargeable pack as well :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Second NewBies request for beamshots ... while waitin gfor mine ... :rant: ...
Especially interested in shots of the CR123 version compared to the Li-Ion version or a AE24, including runtime!
:poke:
Come on, guys! :D :p
bernie

ShortArc

Enlightened
I have a charging question:

I was about to charge the battery of the K2000R for the third time last night but noticed that when I placed it in the charging cradle that the LED would not turn red. First I checked that the switch was on which it was. After several attempts no success. Next I measured the voltages. 15.xV of the charger 8.xV on the battery. I used the Amp meter as a "battery bug" to get the voltage down just to see if that made a difference. Finally the charging LED switched to red. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments? Will have to see with the next recharge if this issue is persistent.
Willem.

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling,

I'm really surprised you haven't yet received your light. I ran a track on it and traced it to Dallas, TX from where it was shipped to Germany on 9/8. I spoke with the USPS people and they told me that the light was in Germany somewhere awaiting delivery.

They suggested that you first contact your postal service to see if they had the light. If that gets you nowhere, they offered that customs is sometimes backed up because of hightened security and that you should contact customs. The label/tracking number is LC074053615US. It was marked as a flashlight, gift at the requested value.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Lance

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I guess it will arrive soon enough or be stuck in customs. Happens more and more often these days. Will let you know when it arrives or when I have news ... thanx for posting!
bernie

Latest posts