Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

scottaw

Enlightened
How true skalo, you really do seem to be his best customer.

And i always thought the first light i bought from you would have been a Milkymod...oh well, lemme know if you wanna lose any of those, you know ML-1 or novatac style.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
How true skalo, you really do seem to be his best customer.

And i always thought the first light i bought from you would have been a Milkymod...oh well, lemme know if you wanna lose any of those, you know ML-1 or novatac style.

About every light I've bought from him, I liked or loved.

Will do, you get first dibs.

Cat.HK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Scott,

May I know how to contact you ? Your pm box keeping full and I had send you an e-mail to quarryrun.com at 4th Oct but no reply from you till now. :confused: Please let me know if you have no time to accept any new order. :ohgeez::shakehead

Cat

Groundhog66

Banned
I LOVES my Milky L1's

39cc8ffa.jpg

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Just a curious inquiry here... I currently have an L1 cree and I was wondering what could be done to it to boost the output and maybe make it fully RCR compatible? I quite like the stock optic atm so I guess I'm just asking what LED could be swapped in, thanks!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott,

May I know how to contact you ? Your pm box keeping full and I had send you an e-mail to quarryrun.com at 4th Oct but no reply from you till now. :confused: Please let me know if you have no time to accept any new order. :ohgeez::shakehead

Cat

Hi Cat, it's not lack of time or interest, it's mainly the difficulty of locating those flat-sided L1 hosts... the sources have really dried up lately. I would like nothing better than to supply everyone interested with the build as I believe it's a good one, but at the same time, I don't want to allow the orders to get too far ahead of the incoming supply!

I'll be in touch with you soon, I did see your email, thanks for hanging in there. :bow:

Anyone willing to have a Milky L1 built into the L1 'magnum' body (see photo below), I can handle that no problem, and there does still seem to be a pretty good supply of these around... plus the added advantage of a little additional throw out of the hotspot for both the Smoothie AND the Floodmaster versions.

img-surefire-l1-lineup-20070926.jpg

Finally, a shameless plug: got an L1 flat-sided host gathering dust in the closet (or whatever)? Get in touch, I'd be interested in acquiring it, either as a purchase or a credit toward having something built. Much appreciated! :sweat:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVES my Milky L1's

39cc8ffa.jpg

GH, your photography is getting better and better! Truly gorgeous picture. :bow: :bow:

BTW, your package arrived in today's mail.

Hi Groundhog, what is the different between two light ?

Both are ML-1 flat-sided. On the left is the Standard reflector (McR18j for a balanced beam), on the right is a Floodmaster reflector for ultra-smooth near-range illumination.

Just a curious inquiry here... I currently have an L1 cree and I was wondering what could be done to it to boost the output and maybe make it fully RCR compatible? I quite like the stock optic atm so I guess I'm just asking what LED could be swapped in, thanks!

I would go about it the opposite: leave the LED in place (unless the tint is really nasty or there's some other problem with it), remove the circuit capsule from the body and replace the circuitry. Upgrading to a Milky L1x (for eXtreme) would give you max output in the vicinity of 160 lumens with about an hour of high beam runtime and RCR123 compatibility. To finish the upgrade, we might also enlarge the battery chamber so the various brands of rechargeable fit... in stock form some will fit, some won't. Anyway, send me a PM here or at CPF Marketplace, or email me if you want to pursue this...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

litew8

Newly Enlightened
Scott,
What else can you do with the cree L1? Maybe change the run time, to something like the old L1's, but in smaller package. Then i could put one of my old style ML1 heads on it. This is starting to sound really good, I might be sending you another light.:thumbsup: Al

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Hey Scott, I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

I received a refund from the USPS for my money order I sent you for the ML1 Floodmaster. Looks like it never made it to you or was lost somewhere. Anyway, if it ever shows up (although after two months, I would think it unlikely), just tear it up. If it does however, please let me know.

Thanks, and I may try again later.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
p1010067sh5.jpg

I thought this would be a good spot to show the options with the different L1 lights. The Head on the far right has been modded by Milky.

L-R
Old Style L1......New Cree L1.......Old Style Body w/cree Head.....New Cree Body w/Old Style Head

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
p1010067sh5.jpg

I thought this would be a good spot to show the options with the different L1 lights. The Head on the far right has been modded by Milky.

L-R
Old Style L1......New Cree L1.......Old Style Body w/cree Head.....New Cree Body w/Old Style Head

Thanks Russ, that's a great photo. The old-style L1 (flat sides) is actually even smaller than it would appear... note its tailcap isn't screwed down as much as the L1 Cree's is. By my measurements the old-style L1 is about 1/8 inch longer than the new L1 Cree. Both are markedly smaller than the L1 TIR.

DDS

Enlightened
Scott: Do you only reply to your emails or PM's when you are ready to start a project with the person inquiring? I've sent Pm's and emails to you over a month ago??
Thanks, Dave

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
DDS, I have no easy answer for this. Since modding is my work, my workday effectively never ends... and in there somehow I try to fit time for being a good dad, or at least attempting as much... sleeping (not very good at this admittedly)... marriage... paying bills, running errands... etc. God forbid I get sick for a few days, or my parents drop by, which often means the day is shot... with the time left I reply to email and PMs, take photos of builds in progress for later posting, post new threads and photos, pack and ship completed work, order supplies, and of course, do the builds themselves.

None of which really directly answers your question, I'm sorry about that, maybe wanted to outline the above if for no better reason than making sure for myself that I'm keeping things straight! :ohgeez: The more specific answer to your question: there was a time when I spent easily 2/3 of every day replying to PM and email... after several months of this I had accumulated a backlog of perhaps 70+ builds, with a number of folks patiently waiting... and more importantly, came to the realization that try as I might, I would probably never get through all the inquiries anyway, despite wanting to. I just don't like not replying to folks but sometimes it happens in spite of the best attempts to the contrary. :sigh:

Lately I've operated on the philosophy that it's better not to get too far ahead of myself as it helps no one. It's not that I wait until being able to take on a build, but rather that I limit the hours per day spent messaging and in-progress build correspondence will always take precedence, followed by folks who have placed an order, possibly already paid, possibly have their lights on the way... these are the most time-critical communications as I see it. With the time that's left I try to plow through all else.

I receive email notifications even for the PMs and do read pretty much everything soon after it arrives at my inbox... it's the reply part that might take time. Simple inquiries often get a quick response because, well, they're simple. Very long inquiries, or the sort of message asking a dozen questions and/or necessitating long answers to the questions, or inquiries that require research on my part to give an intelligent answer... these are the sorts of things likely to take longest to receive a reply. Sometimes a lack of parts on hand to complete a build coupled with being unsure I can actually get the parts will delay a reply, too, on the premise that I'd rather not get into a detailed discussion of a build I'm not sure can happen anytime soon... don't want to raise expectations only to dash them later if I can help it.

Several months back, many of the inquiries were of the form, "I paid for xxx on yyy, it's been zzz weeks, when will it be done?" Now most have changed to, "I asked about having xxx built yyy weeks ago, and am still interested but haven't heard from you yet." In an ideal world I'd rather have neither of these situations going on, but forced to choose I'd opt for the second over the first anyday! In the second example no money has changed hands, no lights have been sent, no promises on delivery dates have been made... I think it's a lot fairer to have a customer in that sort of wait state than it is to have one who's paid and sent their light into a seeming black hole.

Anyway, the above notwithstanding, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you and am not offended in the least if you resend the inquiry, or give me a friendly reminder once in a while... I do hope this far too long post does at least offer a tiny window into the strange workings of one very milky brain, and why things happen the way they do.

Thank you for the reminder, too! :D

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are a good man Scott. I have nothing but the utmost regard for you. I have had nothing but the most pleasant experience with you through all 3 mods you did for me. The work you did, and the expediency with which you got them done and sent back to me was certainly beyond my wildest expectations. When the opportunity comes, I will not hesitate to enlist your services again in the future. The phone conversations we have had have been some of the most pleasant I have had with anyone to be sure, and I look forward to talking to you again. I feel guilty taking your time, knowing how busy you are and how little personal time you have to yourself, but you have such a great personality and a nature that just makes people want to get to know you. I hope that we do get to meet one day....even if it means I take a drive to Jersey for the next get together. Hopefully you'll get to come down here for the holidays, and both I and Flying Turtle will get to meet you. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that having Milky work on your light is definitely worth the wait. Having Scott for a friend is priceless.

[SIZE=+1]Milky L1 gen3 Smoothie[/SIZE]

Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Smooth 20mm reflector
Ultra-clear flat lens (if needed)
Tailcap resistance recalibrated as appropriate

Milky L1 TIR

CREE Q4 WC emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Stock circuit replaced with a Madmax Plus Circuit
Stock TIR Optic - Focusable
Tailcap resistance recalibrated to 3 to 5 lumen low
Rechargeable friendly

[SIZE=+1]Milky L2[/SIZE]

Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, hand-tested for optimal L2 compatibility
Circuit capsule rebuilt using SOB1000 regulator
Tailcap resistance recalibrated for good high/low beam ratio

Here are a few shots of the lights Scott worked on for me...

dsc00031vl4.jpg
dsc00068vs0.jpg
dsc00041ag0.jpg
dsc00045cf5.jpg

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
The more i hear about these lights, the excellent customer service and all around quality, the more i know waiting will be worth it. Take a few days off and relax for once Milky, it sure seems like we don't give you that chance....ever. :)