MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1) - Updated with 2nd ML1

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing My New MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1)

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
Re: MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1)

Man, he does good work. I gotta send some of my lights over to get "milked" one of these days. Must be a busy man.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing My New MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1)

Hi guys... many thanks for so many kind sentiments! It means a lot. :eek:

Just wanted to note briefly that Xcel730's upgrade was a little different from most in that he sent me an L1 Cree but wanted a Seoul SSCP4 emitter with IMS20 reflector in the head... this resulted in me swapping-out his L1 head in favor of the Luxeon version of that head... the latter is a more secure fit for the parts he wanted, with better heatsinking and actually a slightly shorter length. The side effect was that his pricing was somewhat different from the norm... without getting into all the numbers, the conceptual differences were as follows: (1) heads were swapped; (2) the L1 Cree often does not need a new emitter as it's not uncommon for SureFire to mount what by all indications is at least a Q5-binned emitter in the stock light... that's not always the case, but it happens often enough that I can amortize-in the savings of not needing a new emitter, nor the labor to change it... the Luxeon head DOES need an emitter swap added to the mix in every case, so pricing is a little higher, all other things being equal.

Admittedly, it gets a little confusing to price the upgrade when mixed-generation components are involved, and I will readily admit I don't have every possible combination perfectly accounted for costwise, but I do my best.

When you say 165 lumens is it emitter or out front?

I'm still debating if I want to send my L1 in, maybe I'll wait till cree come out with a higher bin so I can have emitter swapped at the same time.

Jzmtl, that's an estimate of emitter lumens based on a fairly conservative estimate of the luminous flux of an average emitter in the given bin. I've calculated outputs on my lights in this way for quite some time... and more often than not, I'll compare the finished piece in an A-B ceiling bounce test with some known controls here in the Milky Labs as a general sanity check that the numbers make sense. A couple months back I also derived a mathematical model (actually, two... one a third-order polynomial function, the other a second-order polynomial function) that allows me to come up with a reasonable expected output in lumens for any given output current.

Also, in the past some of my lights have been output tested in detail, most notably by fellow CPFer Leef, who put together arguably the nicest lightbox test rig I've ever seen... my lights tend to perform very close to the rated lumens I've specified for them... this is noteworthy because my rating is essentially EMITTER lumens, while Leef has been testing TORCH lumens... it seems the slightly conservative skew I apply to my output ratings more-or-less compensates for the loss occurring in reflector and lens, which is encouraging!

Hope this helped. Sorry if I went off the deep end in terms of the geekspeak. :ohgeez:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

milky, i cant wait to save some money and get a mod from you. i actually had a daydream yesterday in lecture about receiving a mod from you and selling all my other lights because the milky was jealous. haha wow. :shakehead really though, i cant wait. i just have to determine what my uses are and find out what i need.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, ill have to polish up my end of the Review there....watch that space!

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw, I'm saving you a spot for your review.

Actually, it may be good too since your ML1 is different from mine.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw, I'm saving you a spot for your review.

Actually, it may be good too since your ML1 is different from mine.

thanks, im dreadfully busy this week though, it will have to wait...on the plus side, my ML1 is seeing use! just yesterday Me and some people got a splinter out of someone foot by using my (sterilized with an alcohol swab) SAK tweezers and knife, and by the light of my ML1...:cool:

Crenshaw

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened

Me and some people got a splinter out of someone foot by using my (sterilized with an alcohol swab) SAK tweezers and knife, and by the light of my ML1...:cool:

Crenshaw

I hope the patient made it through and won't be in the ICU for too long :laughing:
Crenshaw, sounds like you had a whole surgical team there.

Can't wait to get my Milky modded L1.

I have asked for a reflectored version. (with MAX OUTPUT!!!)

How does the GITD in the head look? (I think mine with have that too)

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope the patient made it through and won't be in the ICU for too long :laughing:
Crenshaw, sounds like you had a whole surgical team there.

Can't wait to get my Milky modded L1.

I have asked for a reflectored version. (with MAX OUTPUT!!!)

Hope does the GITD in the head look? (I think mine with have that too)

How bright is Scott making yours? I actually tried to ask if he could reduce the output by a little bit so I could have better runtime performance. But by the time I asked, it was already packaged and ready to come back to me. Oh well. Who am I to complain. :devil:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw, sounds like you had a whole surgical team there

haha, not really, Maria stepped on a splinter, and had Longaville, Don Armado and King Ferdinand helping get it out.It was a very subborn splinter. guess what play we're rehearsing..:p
we got rid of the wooden boxes after that though.

i am wondering if its worth asking scott for another head with a 1.2+ A drive level. At the same time, i wonder, is the circuit even IN the head? The top of body looks modified to me too.

Crenshaw
Crenshaw

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

i am wondering if its worth asking scott for another head with a 1.2+ A drive level. At the same time, i wonder, is the circuit even IN the head? The top of body looks modified to me too.

If you look at my post #13 up there, you'll see my warning. The L1's have their circuitry in the bodies. The heads are just "dummy" heads.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you look at my post #13 up there, you'll see my warning. The L1's have their circuitry in the bodies. The heads are just "dummy" heads.

opps, thanks, i thought as much...so maybe ill just Ask scott if he can send me the Nichia head i have in mind, and an L1 body with 1.2a drive level. and a tail with more resistance. Whoops, that sounds like a whole new ML1 almost..

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

opps, thanks, i thought as much...so maybe ill just Ask scott if he can send me the Nichia head i have in mind, and an L1 body with 1.2a drive level. and a tail with more resistance. Whoops, that sounds like a whole new ML1 almost..

Crenshaw

I'm actually tempted to find another older style L1 and send it to Scott to mod. But I'll have to wait for now.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys, if I've been slow to reply please send email to me here...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

It helps if you put "CPF" and your username somewhere in the subject line... makes it easier to filter the good stuff from the spam! :eek:oo:

If I were to find a secret stash of old-style (first generation with four flat sides) L1 hosts, I wouldn't mind putting some of the high-CRI Nichia 083 emitters in them. The resulting light wouldn't exactly have world-beating brightness, but I'm imagining it would offer a tremendous beam quality, with a clean beam and terrific color rendition for all those close and medium-range missions that such a light really just feels right having.

Anyone got some four-flats L1 hosts pining away? :whistle:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oooh, that sounds nice. Will it have a reflector or will it be all flood light like the McGizmo's Mule/SunDrop? I have the SunDrop and the tint is awesome.

I wouldn't mind having one with the same newer style L1 body with reflector. Now I have to locate one for a good deal. I'll contact you in a couple of weeks ... this might be my next light ... SF MilkyDrop

It helps if you put "CPF" and your username somewhere in the subject line... makes it easier to filter the good stuff from the spam! :eek:oo:

If I were to find a secret stash of old-style (first generation with four flat sides) L1 hosts, I wouldn't mind putting some of the high-CRI Nichia 083 emitters in them. The resulting light wouldn't exactly have world-beating brightness, but I'm imagining it would offer a tremendous beam quality, with a clean beam and terrific color rendition for all those close and medium-range missions that such a light really just feels right having.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol, Suddenly i suspect Scott has a free "secret" stashes of Old style L1s around somewhere. But hey scott, is that post indicative of you having found a source for the Nichia high CRI emittors (other then McGizmo that is)

I might be in for a Milky L1 drop too depending on the price....:naughty:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened

What might be neat is to put 5 of those emitters in an Inova X5.

Just blue-skying here.

tsl

Enlightened

I'd be definitely interested, especially given the terrific color rendition. Would it have the same brightness as the stock Cree L1? Could this be done in a Cree L1 or does it have to be in the older style L1?

Email sent.