MiniMag AA Pro+ (pro plus) dim with NimH?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I think this is the original 2012 version with Output: 245 lumens high, 61 lumens low.
I just put some Nimh 1.2v fresh off the charger & both seem pretty low and about the same.
I wonder if the hi/lo switch wants more than 1.2v to get to high?
Using new Alkalines I see much more difference between hi & lo.

The switch isn't very good, sometimes I have to "pull out" on the head when turning to get it to turn on.
I wonder if the pill is sticking? Lube ? Stretch the tailcap spring? Sand it down a little?

pc_light

Enlightened
I had the Pro+ version (it was the box set and didn't indicate output) with XP-G2 emitter and I recall that with NiMH eneloops the hi/lo performed similar to alkalines. I would recommend trying some fresh low resistance NiMH cells as well as a good cleaning of all current contact points.

As I recall the tailcap treads on the Pro+ were anodized/coated and it was the bottom annular rim section is where current flowed.

The tricky part will be cleaning the positive battery side of the light engine inside the battery tube. The light engine will need to be popped out (or I should say dropped in to the battery tube) to clean those contact points.

If after all that it still doesn't perform right, there's always the possibility of a random "lottery" with a hi-forward voltage emitter, can happen.

abhi555

Newly Enlightened
I have the same light. No issues with Eneloop. Eneloops freshly charged should be 1.4v after cooled down. but as pclight said it could be a faulty emitter. I have an issue with the switch but turning the head a bit works.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Give it a couple of gentle whacks to the palm and if it turns bright it's probably a sticking switch.

I have a 20+ year old incan minimag that at times would not turn on at all. The switch was sticking.

I fixed it but for the life of me do not remember how.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop some new Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells into it and see if output increases. It should. I have gone through nearly 12 of the mini mags. They are cheap and more or less easy. I really wish they had an on off switch but hey I guess that is why they are so cheap not having them. The Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's (L91) are hotter cells than even a fresh set of Eneloops. L91's increased the output in any mini mag I put them in. There actually are aftermarket parts for mini mags you just got to be patient.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
just went through this with my arc-ls.
the 6 year old 300+ cycle duracell 2400's had esr of over 3 ohms.
result was low output.
good cells are around 30 milliohms.
i retired the rest from this batch of 16 as they had all gone weak.

Latest posts