Minimag aa upgrades?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There no way around the donut hole except just don't twist the head until a donut hole appears.

A few years ago I used a can of clear coat engine enamel to lightly fog a reflector for a light orange peel of an extra reflector for an ML25 to compare to the acrylite lens. I ended up preferring the acrylite lens but that light orange peel reflector did help clean up the beam some. Throw was better with the acrylite.

Basically it involves spritzing a mist of spray paint over the lens and letting droplets of paint gentley land on the lens. The can is about a foot away horizontally and 18-24" vertically. Just push the spray tip breifly. Maybe twice. Let dry a while and try it out. Apply a second time and you're done. Anything beyond that and throw is greatly reduced.

BTW I did some test sprays to dial in the method.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Clever idea byk. Do you get a donut hole on your acrilyte lens when first turned on, before you twist to focus? That's where I'm still getting a donut. I guess you could call it max flood mode or something. Maybe the extreme thickness of the lens has something to do with it. I don't count getting donut holes when you twist the head past the most focused point. I don't use it past that point.

I'm going to contact flashlightlens and see why these are so thick, and if they make one about the same thickness as the stock lens.

On a fun side note I tried the acrylite in my led minimag. It removed the little ring that is normally in the beam and looked just slightly more clean overall.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I do not have an acrylite in a AA minimag but I do get a donut hole when starting my 90's AA and aaa minimags and a gen 1 ML25 LED and the incan.

I have acrylites in ML25's, an incan aaa minimag and a couple of older lights like a 2D 2nd Kel-Lite.

Now, the donut hole can be your friend at times. When focused to throw the light bulb can place too much light on a close up object like a shiney coin you need to see better or inspecting inside a shiney object. Focus to add some donut hole and viola, object is lit without too much intensity.

Here's what I mean.
D1390878-4797-4740-9D08-78D3F6725660.jpeg

In picture 1 my camera did not see enough light to bring the watch into focus without a long (1 second) shutter speed. So the picture is partly fuzzy.

38ECC99C-89E0-4F29-BC9D-0FFA6BB43256.jpeg

In picture 2 bulb is focused to throw and "geez, my eyes, turn down the light!"

4EFEDA37-3174-4934-848C-BB641E83E37C.jpeg

In picture 3 the donut hole was used as a tool to achieve the desired affect of a detailed, in focus object.

My aaa incan minimag with an acrylite.
98551032-1A22-4D61-A7C1-87732891F23B.jpeg

Just don't drop it in a swimming pool.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I am thinking I could grind down the face of the reflector to allow more room for the acrylite lens. It doesn't look like it would hurt anything as long as I don't grind so thin that it would break.

Incandescent

Newly Enlightened
My frosted CD case lenses do quite a bit more diffusion than the acrylite. The donut hole is more of a dim spot rather than hole, even at widest focus. At medium focus, there's no dim spot at all. Also not quite as thick as the acrylite, since my bezel only has a very slight gap. I recommend trying some d-c-fix if you want something more like this, and that also wouldn't give you a bezel gap. The throw is greatly reduced, but it makes one heck of a nice short range light.

Still a huge acrylite fan for when maintaining more throw is desirable, though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 130

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Well it took me a while to get around to it, but I finally took a shot at grinding down the reflector to make up for the ultra thick acrylite lens. It was easy to do on the belt sander. I left it at this for now but may take more off later so the bezel tightens down all the way, however this is certainly acceptable.

95B321E1-F02A-4E1A-8415-14C83185DA2D.jpeg

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I had an idea…

58090D1C-7C3F-42F9-909B-47AE53A7D4A1.jpeg

D596BEAD-1669-43C4-9D41-A52B780EC8D4.jpeg

Success!

96BC7A6C-4138-4484-A7AB-6E92626204E1.jpeg

Prolly shouldn't let it run very long with that plastic reflector. Maybe I can find an aluminum one somewhere. Now I can tell dad I made his old minimag head a heck of a lot brighter.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I'm not quite sure what you mean? I didn't put an led in it, that's a 6 cell c/d bulb. Not a factory option.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
scotch tape will smoothen the beam, at the cost of few lumens, but with inc version making very few lumens as it is, that loss will be noticable.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an idea…

View attachment 39660
View attachment 39661

Success!

View attachment 39662

Prolly shouldn't let it run very long with that plastic reflector. Maybe I can find an aluminum one somewhere. Now I can tell dad I made his old minimag head a heck of a lot brighter.

Is that a stock reflector that you drilled? I have an Al AA Minimag reflector you can have if you're interested. It's currently in a AA 3-cell incan conversion (TacStar) which has been ravaged by alkalines and will not be going back in service, so I'd need to check to be sure it didn't get to that. It has what I would call a 'brushed' finish, which provides some beam smoothing. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find it and check it out.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Is that a stock reflector that you drilled? I have an Al AA Minimag reflector you can have if you're interested. It's currently in a AA 3-cell incan conversion (TacStar) which has been ravaged by alkalines and will not be going back in service, so I'd need to check to be sure it didn't get to that. It has what I would call a 'brushed' finish, which provides some beam smoothing. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find it and check it out.

It's a stock reflector.

Yes I would definitely be interested. So far I haven't been able to find an aluminum reflector anywhere.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
10-4. I'll find it & check it out. I think you may have just found one, and if it's here, it's yours!
The good news is that I found 'it'. The bad news is that there's 2 of 'em, they're very different, and you have a choice to make:). Options are good!

First, I'll attach 3 photos I hastily snapped yesterday. They're crummy photos mainly because for various reasons I didn't want to swap lenses on my camera to something more appropriate for the task, which resulted in among other things, zero DOF (depth of field); however, they're good enough to illustrate the difference between the 2 reflectors and how that affects reflected light.

I couldn't do an A-B comparison in my 3-cell MM because I have only 1 alkaline AA in the joint, didn't want to use L91s and risk OV damaging one of my few examples of that rather unusual bulb, and Eneloops won't fit in my MM because it's old and the tube bore is too small for those. What the photos do illustrate is the difference in the effect they have on 'incident' light from my flash reflecting from their surfaces, and this is very similar to the effect they would have on reflected light from an installed bulb.

Here's my verbal description to go with the photos:
First, forget my "brushed" description of the finish(es), because that was a poor choice of words.
They both appear to be machined to the same specs, and are (to my eye w/o my calipers which aren't handy), dimensionally identical. They both have very slight machining marks, but the scale of those makes them a non-factor optically. They are both 'smooth', meaning there is no level of 'orange peel', 'egg shell', etc., and the only real difference is the fine surface 'finish' itself. I would describe the one on the right as a 'mirror finish', and the one on the left as a lightly 'frosted finish' (rather like Scotch Magic tape).

Although I can't compare them today in my MM, from what I recall the effect of the 'frosted' finish was a more homogenous, even, consistent beam with significant reduction in the reflected effects of artifacts / defects in the light from the bulb itself on the reflected beam being projected, resulting in enhanced resolution of detail in the surface of the object being illuminated. This may well come at the cost of a few candelas on that object downrange, but downrange ain't very far with a MM, and I believe any loss was more than offset by the reduction in optical noise / defects / artifacts / distortion, which personally I feel is the 'enemy' when examining objects / surfaces at shorter distances. I think that's why the 'frosted' one ended up in the 'user' I have left (which wasn't ravaged by alkalines).

That's 'seat of pants' opinion, but the bulb setup you're using is far different from the one in my light, and I'm not the one making the decision either. Perhaps you, and certainly others who have more experience with experimenting with incan lights / mods will have a far more informed opinion that mine based on my very limited experience, so I defer to the experience of others to decide / advise on what would be best for your application. I will only add that the 'frosted' reflector is what TacStar shipped standard with their MM upgrade kit (although they also supplied the 'mirror finish' one to me on request), so I guess that indicates what their opinion was for that setup - but again, that uses an only slightly larger version of the standard MM bulb w/ higher voltage rating, and I gather you're using a bulb rather different from that. @bykfixer and others will have more experience and more valid opinions than mine.

Let me know which one you'd prefer to use, and it's yours!

IMG_5985a.jpg
IMG_5987a.jpg
IMG_5984a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5984a.jpg
    IMG_5984a.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good news is that I found 'it'. The bad news is that there's 2 of 'em, they're very different, and you have a choice to make:). Options are good!

First, I'll attach 3 photos I hastily snapped yesterday. They're crummy photos mainly because for various reasons I didn't want to swap lenses on my camera to something more appropriate for the task, which resulted in among other things, zero DOF (depth of field); however, they're good enough to illustrate the difference between the 2 reflectors and how that affects reflected light.

I couldn't do an A-B comparison in my 3-cell MM because I have only 1 alkaline AA in the joint, didn't want to use L91s and risk OV damaging one of my few examples of that rather unusual bulb, and Eneloops won't fit in my MM because it's old and the tube bore is too small for those. What the photos do illustrate is the difference in the effect they have on 'incident' light from my flash reflecting from their surfaces, and this is very similar to the effect they would have on reflected light from an installed bulb.

Here's my verbal description to go with the photos:
First, forget my "brushed" description of the finish(es), because that was a poor choice of words.
They both appear to be machined to the same specs, and are (to my eye w/o my calipers which aren't handy), dimensionally identical. They both have very slight machining marks, but the scale of those makes them a non-factor optically. They are both 'smooth', meaning there is no level of 'orange peel', 'egg shell', etc., and the only real difference is the fine surface 'finish' itself. I would describe the one on the right as a 'mirror finish', and the one on the left as a lightly 'frosted finish' (rather like Scotch Magic tape).

Although I can't compare them today in my MM, from what I recall the effect of the 'frosted' finish was a more homogenous, even, consistent beam with significant reduction in the reflected effects of artifacts / defects in the light from the bulb itself on the reflected beam being projected, resulting in enhanced resolution of detail in the surface of the object being illuminated. This may well come at the cost of a few candelas on that object downrange, but downrange ain't very far with a MM, and I believe any loss was more than offset by the reduction in optical noise / defects / artifacts / distortion, which personally I feel is the 'enemy' when examining objects / surfaces at shorter distances. I think that's why the 'frosted' one ended up in the 'user' I have left (which wasn't ravaged by alkalines).

That's 'seat of pants' opinion, but the bulb setup you're using is far different from the one in my light, and I'm not the one making the decision either. Perhaps you, and certainly others who have more experience with experimenting with incan lights / mods will have a far more informed opinion that mine based on my very limited experience, so I defer to the experience of others to decide / advise on what would be best for your application. I will only add that the 'frosted' reflector is what TacStar shipped standard with their MM upgrade kit (although they also supplied the 'mirror finish' one to me on request), so I guess that indicates what their opinion was for that setup - but again, that uses an only slightly larger version of the standard MM bulb w/ higher voltage rating, and I gather you're using a bulb rather different from that. @bykfixer and others will have more experience and more valid opinions than mine.

Let me know which one you'd prefer to use, and it's yours!

View attachment 40261View attachment 40263View attachment 40268
EDIT: My apologies. I screwed up the image attachment process (again). Here are the 3 photos I intended to include.

TD-Horne

Newly Enlightened
I want to ask how to obtain a completely filled flood pattern so I will start another thread. If you can help with that please check for the new thread.

Tom Horne