More Canadian light discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
I see the 15MCP Thor is on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $49, that is 50% off.
Those lights look way to big to carry around. I can't see it being convenient to "have" one of those around. It probably takes up half of ones trunk space, especially for a small car. I have two Brinkmanns in the car (1 & 3 mcp), they never get used. But...ya never know when yer gonna need a big bright light !!! That's why we buy these things, eh !

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep mine in the closet, I get a silly grin everytime I see it.. I take it out every couple weeks just to remind myself what a really, really bright light is.. It makes a good light for my home being in the country, my backyard is pretty far away..
For the money it it an amazing light.. The most practical reason to buy one is simple bragging rights.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
I keep mine in the closet, I get a silly grin everytime I see it.. I take it out every couple weeks just to remind myself what a really, really bright light is.. It makes a good light for my home being in the country, my backyard is pretty far away..
For the money it it an amazing light.. The most practical reason to buy one is simple bragging rights.
Actually, in addition to my two Brinks, I also have the 1 mcp cordless Brink sitting on my tv stand. Maybe I'll charge it up and have some fun with it !

Calina

Enlightened
I bought a 1 Mcd Brinkmanns 15 or 20 years ago. The first time I turned it on, it flooded the whole campsite with such an insane amount of light that it was embassing. All in all it has been used 10 minutes at the most. It is sitting in its box in the basement. I keep it just in case,
one never knows
shrug.gif
:awman: .

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off topic guys.. But your big lights usually use lead acid batteries, it is best to top them up every now and then, it is real bad for them to let the battery sit around partially charged. They say at least every 6 months for a top up, and charge after every use..

Calina

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
Slightly off topic guys.. But your big lights usually use lead acid batteries, it is best to top them up every now and then, it is real bad for them to let the battery sit around partially charged. They say at least every 6 months for a top up, and charge after every use..

No wonder it's heavy! lead acid batteries...
duh2.gif

pathalogical

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
Just found that out the hard way last night. My Brink 1mcp SLA batt would not recharge. This is kinda why I'm not really crazy about any kind of rechargables, including my MagCharger, which I do top up, even though it doesn't get used. I bought this Brink in the late 90s. Is there any way to revive a SLA or is it gone for good ? :(

pathalogical

Enlightened
Went to Bass Pro yesterday, nothing too exciting in the flashlight isle, other than relocating it again. The usual line up of G2, C2, E1e, E2O. Mags a bunch but no MagLEDs, none. NiteIze stuff. The only thing new that I saw was the 12 pack SF batteries at $39.99.

TOMTEC

Newly Enlightened
pathalogical said:
Just found that out the hard way last night. My Brink 1mcp SLA batt would not recharge. This is kinda why I'm not really crazy about any kind of rechargables, including my MagCharger, which I do top up, even though it doesn't get used. I bought this Brink in the late 90s. Is there any way to revive a SLA or is it gone for good ? :(
Seeing as Canadian Tire seems to put their 1MCP spotlights on sale for $9.99 every few weeks or so, it may be a better deal to buy a new one. I've seen them revive automotive and marine lead acid batteries before, but I believe it involved replacing the fluid inside and using a special charger. I don't think it would be worth the effort/possible to do this on a sealed unit.

Speaking of Canadian Tire... I believe this coming week they are putting the Maglites (and accessories, including the Maglite LED Upgrade) on sale. Don't have the flyer handy, but I believe the LED Upgrade Module should be going for just under $20.

TOMTEC

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I bought one of the MagLED 3 C or D LED up-grade modules yesterday, and put it into one of my 3 C Mags to shoot off against the Diamond-LED.com DB-3W & DB-K2 LED modules I had already.

I must be getting old, or my eyes were tired, but the MagLED module looked brighter than either of the DB modules above. And it was $19.something before tax (wahoo, only 5% PST here!)

Now, if we could just convince The Source by Circuit City to re-stock Mag 2 C on their website for $12.50 per light plus free shipping...

pathalogical

Enlightened
Home Depot -- Just bought the Workforce 1 mcp rechargable spotlight for $9.98. It's a built-in 6v SLA battery with H3 55w bulb. My 1mcp rechargie Brink has shoned its last light. This new one is much, much lighter in weight. One note though, there is a sticker on the light that says "Battery must be charged in the first six months of date of manufacture". Guess what the date is...200605 !!! That means November is the sixth month. Out of the package the light seems to have a good charge already, but will definitely get a full dosage of juice tonight (16hrs). I scavenged through the other lights but all had the same dates. It's not in the flashlight isle, but where they have those tripod halogen worklights, next to the Tool Rental dept. This was the Yorkdale location, not sure if other stores are set up the same. Also bought a Gerber Clutch mini tool for $9.99 (grey). But I now have buyers remorse...they also had the Inferno Red one. I might go back and exchange it for that colour. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...

mnj

Newly Enlightened
I was just a the Source, all of there flashlights were on clearance. The nexxtech 3w (q3 knockoff?) was on for $29. I was tempted to buy it, but I just dropped $20 on 2 aaa Eneloops :thumbsdow. I think I will be hold off on any more flashlight purchases until Fenix starts use the Cree XR-E !!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
mnj said:
I was tempted to buy it, but I just dropped $20 on 2 aaa Eneloops :thumbsdow.

Whoa! 20 bucks for a single pair of AAA's?! Now that's gotta sting.

Tactical Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Report on new Dorcy AAA colours at Mark's

After picking up a MagLED upgrade for my 2D from Canadian Tire, I stopped by Mark's Work Wearhouse. They have Dorcy 1 AAA LED lights in a display tray at the checkout counter that is obviously intended to appeal to their women customers. They had three colours: gold, burgundy, and violet, I think. The bodies lack the rubber grips of the original versions and have knurled there instead. However, the lights are the lensed, reflectorless type. They are also more expensive than the standard version at Mark's: about $14.99 each.

Builder

Newly Enlightened
pathalogical said:
Home Depot -- Just bought the Workforce 1 mcp rechargable spotlight for $9.98. It's a built-in 6v SLA battery with H3 55w bulb. My 1mcp rechargie Brink has shoned its last light. This new one is much, much lighter in weight. One note though, there is a sticker on the light that says "Battery must be charged in the first six months of date of manufacture". Guess what the date is...200605 !!! That means November is the sixth month. Out of the package the light seems to have a good charge already, but will definitely get a full dosage of juice tonight (16hrs).
If this has a 9v wall-wart charger - it's the same one I bought my gf. I tested the open ckt output and it's over 16v! Sure to cook the SLA if left plugged in by accident.

I added this circuit on the DC cord and now she can leave it charging without worrying about dead batteries.
Charger (6v).jpg

Calina

Enlightened
I was in my local Circuit City (The Source) store this last saturday and they had a bunch of ligths reduce by 60% for clearance. These included single and multi LEDs, Lux 1 and incan.

I didn't find anything that I liked but a guy next to me pick up a lux 1 4AA cells light for $22.00 cdn; not bad.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
My favourite place for buying flashlights in the Vancouver, BC, area is Dave's Surplus and Tactical, in New Westminster.

They are selling G2s for $45 CDN and Surefire lithium batteries at $3 each (or buy 12 for $35.99 and save one cent!).

Dave's is an authorised Surefire retailer, and carries the complete line - they even had the Kroma before it went up on the Surefire website.

They are also a Streamlight distributor - I got my ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon from there for around $50 (might have been $55, but it was around MSRP).

They also have a selection of interesting lights by other manufacturers, which I can't really remember. But to see every Surefire currently in production on a shelf, and be able to handle them - and the staff put batteries in them and allow you to play with them in a darkened room at the back of the store. . . priceless!

Their website (which has their address): http://www.davesarmysurplus.com/index.php?cPath=55

Note: I'm not connected with the store in any way and have nothing to gain by posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.