Most Efficient sub-100W DC➡AC Inverter and 120V Light Bulb

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming up on 2 weeks since the OP visited CPF.
Wondering if it was more a thought experiment than an eminent decision to procure.
I continue to suggest a 'bigger picture' approach rather than a narrow quest to eke out a smidge more efficiency.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it has a bridge made of ss34 schottkys.
I often eliminate it .
Many of my lights at home are on a 12v system with this setup.
Sometimes we lose power at every thunderstorm.
I not only save money but my stuff works in an emergency.
The main system is 48v
All the comm gear is directly on the battery bank on 12v side.
Inverter on the 48v only.
Keeps the hash out of the hf radio

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drop by Ikea every month or so. Solhetta A19 LED bulb 1600 lumen 10.5W is priced $8. They also have larger G25 bulb having 1600 lumens, only 9W, but price is $10. Catching up with Philips, but on that note I do not see these new Philips bulbs anywhere locally, at whatever price.

Dave

TPA

Enlightened
They do make 5vDC and 12vDC LED bulbs in standard lamp sockets. I have a pile of 5vDC bulbs coming in the mail. I've already put together a few USB-A to 110v socket adapters. My goal for these is to have them connected to USB power banks, so they can be used in areas where there aren't outlets, and they also could be used for power outages as well.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do make 5vDC and 12vDC LED bulbs in standard lamp sockets. I have a pile of 5vDC bulbs coming in the mail. I've already put together a few USB-A to 110v socket adapters. My goal for these is to have them connected to USB power banks, so they can be used in areas where there aren't outlets, and they also could be used for power outages as well.
Good idea, just don't get any of those low-voltage bulbs with standard bases mixed up with regular 120vac bulbs, which could create a "flashbulb event" or worse.

Dave

Reactions: TPA

TPA

Enlightened
@Dave_H : Indeed. I usually P-Touch anything unusual, so these will be getting big "5vDC ONLY" labels on their bases. With these, I'll also be plugging the lamp into the adapter, then tying the plugs together as a reminder to remove the 5vDC light bulb before using the lamp for something else.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming up on 2 weeks since the OP visited CPF.
Wondering if it was more a thought experiment than an eminent decision to procure.
I continue to suggest a 'bigger picture' approach rather than a narrow quest to eke out a smidge more efficiency.
I agree generally, focusing only on efficiency can restrict the end solution regarding cost, complexity, size, limited source of components etc. However it helps to see where inefficiencies come from and what can be done to reduce them.

Most straightforward solution is direct 12v operation without inverter, preferably with integrated driver. LED efficacy may not be highest achievable in some i.e. 120v products. Next best would be high efficacy LED bulb or fixture with a good 12v driver.

To OP: would (say) 100 lumens/watt, with 90-95% conversion efficiency reachable with buck converters, be good enough?

Dave

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also make 5v and 12v bulbs from burned out led bulbs.
5v is 1 219c 4000k and a 1.8 ohm resistor to a usb cable.
12v is 3 219c to a 10w 12v led driver.
12v bulb gets marked on the base in red 12 only!
5v of course is (mostly)idiot proof.