Sky RC MC3000 and LTO cells

A_batt

Newly Enlightened
Hello there!

I recently purchased the MC3000 battery charger, and while it has worked well for charging various types of batteries, I've encountered some challenges when trying to charge LTO battery cells with it.
I appreciate having accurate data, and I've enjoyed the results generated by the monitor-program in the past.

Turning to the PC-program, I attempted to select the LTO icon on the MC3000 monitor V1.05, but it displayed "ENELOOP," which has a voltage range incompatible with LTO cells. It appears that the square marked "LTO" isn't functioning at all.

When attempting to utilize the LTO option through the app, and with the cycling function, I've noticed that the number of cycles does not appear. After a test run it's clear that only one cycle is being performed, and the data provided is limited to volts, lacking information on current, temperature, or capacity.

Does anyone else have experience with the MC3000 charger and LTO cells who could offer some help?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there!

I recently purchased the MC3000 battery charger, and while it has worked well for charging various types of batteries, I've encountered some challenges when trying to charge LTO battery cells with it.
I appreciate having accurate data, and I've enjoyed the results generated by the monitor-program in the past.

Turning to the PC-program, I attempted to select the LTO icon on the MC3000 monitor V1.05, but it displayed "ENELOOP," which has a voltage range incompatible with LTO cells. It appears that the square marked "LTO" isn't functioning at all.

When attempting to utilize the LTO option through the app, and with the cycling function, I've noticed that the number of cycles does not appear. After a test run it's clear that only one cycle is being performed, and the data provided is limited to volts, lacking information on current, temperature, or capacity.

Does anyone else have experience with the MC3000 charger and LTO cells who could offer some help?

Unfortunately I'm not of any help, because I only interface with mine using the front panel, and also haven't tried to use the LTO chemistry option(s) either.

Just as a side question though, what firmware version is your MC3000 itself running? That may be of interest to anyone who might have info to offer, together with the revision of the PC app, which you already provided. Either could possibly be a factor. Good luck!

sbj

Newly Enlightened
So I have a 1st generation device (HW <1.3). LTO was definitely not planned then.
It could be that your device can do this. Go to the SETUP menu and scroll down. It may say: "Hide LTO: Yes".
Change this to "No" if possible.

A_batt

Newly Enlightened
Thank guys!

The firmware version is 1,18, as is the newest update that found online and the hardware is >2.2

I found the LTO chemistry rather quickly when I was going to test it, that has never been the issue here. The fact that the options you have when you're in a LTO program is faulty in the way that when you choose "Battery type- LTO" and "Mode - Cycle", when you go down even further both the "Cycle count" and "Cycle mode" are set to "OFF" and these two cannot be changed, no matter how much I try.

Got a reply for the manufacturer that it's Chinese new years now so they may not reply for some time.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the problem(s) / limitations you are experiencing occur when interfacing w/ the MC3000 exclusively using the front panel buttons and on-board display, or do they exist / occur only / exclusively when using the PC link or BT application to interface w/ the unit?

Do those same problems / limtations exist when configuring a 'program' for 'Li-ion' chemistry rather than 'LTO', or does this appear to be affecting only 'LTO' programs?

On an unrelated side note, do be aware that serious issues have been documented affecting (invalidating) LI-ion 'Internal Resistance' measurements when using firmware V1.18, which do not exist in V1.15, and that matter is not yet resolved / fully understood (AFAIK) at this time. Until such time as that issue is understood / resolved, if internal resistance measurements are of any importance to you, it would be best to use V1.15. I have no information regarding other possible changes / revisions, etc. which differ between those 2 versions, so there could be some exposure there, although I've not heard anyone complain of such. It appears most of the 'smart money' is sticking to V1.15 for now, as am I personally, although I'm not particularly smart, nor do I have money.

A_batt

Newly Enlightened
The on-board display atleast shows that the cycles are off.

In the app, the options "Number of Cycles" and "Cycling mode" is not visable if you choose the "Battery type" to be "LTO" and the "Operation Mode" to be "Cycling". They are visable if you choose any other battery type and cycling mode. Really annoying.

On the computer, when selecting between the different battery types the "LTO" button isn't actually connected to anything and seems to be just a textbox with no function. When you click the "LTO" button the program is set to "Eneloop". If you try to go by using the tabs key from button to button when choosing the battery type, the "LTO" button will be completely skipped.

When I'm trying to load the LTO program stored in the MC3000 to the computer it shows a error message that something is wrong with the code of the program (shocking, I know) and it will not load the LTO program.
All in all I'm quite annoyed by the LTO cycling because it was one of the main reasons why I bought this charger.

I have tested cycling LFP cells and it worked like a charm, but for now I don't have any Li-ion cells to test with, so that's fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I have other ways of measuring the resistance so I won't be a problem. Luckily, you don't need money or smartness to have fun, which is the most important part.