Nitecore 16340 (NL169R) Rechargeable Cells Actually Measure 16360 - Too Long for Many Lights.

I purchased two Nitecore "16340" rechargeable cells, model NL169R, in anticipation of an upcoming travel schedule: having the ability to recharge these 950 mAh-rated USB-C cells directly from a power source without breaking out a separate charger is useful to me.

(Apropos of nothing, kudos to Battery Junction for astonishingly fast delivery.) 👍

Fast delivery notwithstanding, I find that these cells are too long to fit in many of my 16340 lights. I'm a fan of both the FourSevens Quark Mini series, and the Eagtac 16340 sized lights (both series are superb for air travel). The Nitecore cells however, at 36 mm in length, are too long for either the 4/7 or Eagtac lights, and the cells' extra 2mm length doesn't allow the circuit on either brand of light to close. Nitecore does not appear to disclose the true length of these cells in its advertising, so I thought I'd offer this little nugget of warning to anyone contemplating their purchase.

Annoyed, I tried the NL169R cells in a half-dozen other lights and headlamps. The only lights that could handle these *16360* cells was a second generation Quark 123; and dual-fuel 18350/16340 flashlights, and dual-fuel headlamps.

You have been warned. 👿

NH Lumens

Enlightened
This is why I've learned to love IMR flat top cells. Handle & store them in a way to preclude shorting and watch your run times to avoid over-discharge.

I only use protected cells in casual-use lights with battery compartments large enough to accommodate them.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased two Nitecore "16340" rechargeable cells, model NL169R, in anticipation of an upcoming travel schedule: having the ability to recharge these 950 mAh-rated USB-C cells directly from a power source without breaking out a separate charger is useful to me.

(Apropos of nothing, kudos to Battery Junction for astonishingly fast delivery.) 👍

Fast delivery notwithstanding, I find that these cells are too long to fit in many of my 16340 lights. I'm a fan of both the FourSevens Quark Mini series, and the Eagtac 16340 sized lights (both series are superb for air travel). The Nitecore cells however, at 36 mm in length, are too long for either the 4/7 or Eagtac lights, and the cells' extra 2mm length doesn't allow the circuit on either brand of light to close. Nitecore does not appear to disclose the true length of these cells in its advertising, so I thought I'd offer this little nugget of warning to anyone contemplating their purchase.

Annoyed, I tried the NL169R cells in a half-dozen other lights and headlamps. The only lights that could handle these *16360* cells was a second generation Quark 123; and dual-fuel 18350/16340 flashlights, and dual-fuel headlamps.

You have been warned. 👿
Not to get too picky, but NC Store and BJ both advertise the NL169R length @ 1.43" / 36.3mm. I'm almost certain that would not be an appropriate fit for an ET D25C, and am not surprised you found that to be the case. It would likely cause spring over-compression, if not outright coil binding / bottoming out. I'm not personally aware of a protected 16340 w/ integrated microUSB charging on the market that would work in that light. If you find any cells of that type that would let me know, as like you, I'd like to have a few on hand for travel / mobile convenience. Interestingly, NC does make a decent protected 14500 w/ USB charging that fits great in an ET D25A, which is surprising, but true. BJ lists them @ 49.4mm. I use them.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Personally I'm leery of any cell with a built in charging circuit. Despite the obvious length fitment problems I have found that when charging a built in USB cell the positive terminal usually gets really hot to the touch after a few minutes and stays that way during the charge. Only the terminal but not the cell body itself. But im talking about 130 degF. I find it sketchy and use a portable compact single cell charger when I travel to always charge safely.

I avoid lights with charging flaps and cells with USB plugs. Stick to the tried and true method of safe charging in a dedicated charger.