Where do I actually find real batteries?!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It is dangerous to be putting home-made battery packs together. Battery Management Systems really need to be used.
Well, I plan to use a BMS in any "home-made" batteries I make. Also, I'm sticking with LiFePO4 for its inherent safety. I don't want a few kW-hrs of regular lithium-ion under my roof.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
After 5 or 6 full recharge cycles, batteries can have 5% increase in runtime,, it's called 'exercising' batteries
Just for "fun" (or OCD) I cycled new 18650s and 21700s from Samsung, Sinowatt, EVE, and Sofirn exactly 5 times and tested capacity for a second time. Every single one was within the margin of error of the same test at cycle #1, some had a few less mA, some had a few more. Not a single one met MFR spec'ed "minimum" rating.

I should specify I stop my testing at 2.9v per cell, rather than 2.5-2.8 as MFR specs usually use. I don't think it really changes the capacity by anything worth having, and I don't like hurting my cells.

Interestingly, I noticed the Samsung 50E and Sofirn 21700 batteries look exactly the same under the wrap. They test almost to the mA the same capacity. They also weigh exactly the same to the tenth of a gram. Hmmm...

I also got ahold of some of those Vapcell 4000 18650s, testing now. I swear my batteries see more cycles in tests than actual use!

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you safety police, you saved my life. Do you have any other confused tips? Perhaps how to drive a car?
While we are not concerned with those experienced, who choose to dabble, there are those who are new to this. When they read your post, it seems that one can play with Lithium batteries like it is just fine. Judging by your (insecure/defensive?) response to my caution and the fact you are new here, we won't be surprised if you abruptly disappear from our forum.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
Vapcell 4000mah 18650
These are rewraps...
Illum.com

Basic Test

I have the Vapcell F60 21700 6000 mah $12 order for Feb
Basic Test

View attachment 53674

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but the "4000" mAh 18650s are 35xxmAh. The first true 3500, unfortunately. I'd bet a lot of money the 21700s are not 6000 either, maybe a real life 5.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, thanks for the suggestion, but the "4000" mAh 18650s are 35xxmAh. The first true 3500, unfortunately. I'd bet a lot of money the 21700s are not 6000 either, maybe a real life 5.
What are you talking about? Did you actually click on the links? Those are a true 4000mah cell.
I know you have your hair up a bit at being told to be careful, but you need to know what you're talking about before making sweeping statements.
Oh and btw Samsung 35E cells will hit 3500mah. And they've been around a while
And you'd bet a lot of money on the f60 not meeting 6000mah, while quoting a link that shows them reaching 6000mah. Guess you're poor now

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
What are you talking about? Did you actually click on the links? Those are a true 4000mah cell.
I know you have your hair up a bit at being told to be careful, but you need to know what you're talking about before making sweeping statements.
Oh and btw Samsung 35E cells will hit 3500mah. And they've been around a while
And you'd bet a lot of money on the f60 not meeting 6000mah, while quoting a link that shows them reaching 6000mah. Guess you're poor now
Lose the attitude. I "actually" BOUGHT FOUR OF THEM and tested them with accurate equipment. Have you? Did you bother to read what I posted?

Send me some 6000s that measure over 6k and I will in return pay you money far exceeding the value of any other bare 21700.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You are not helping anybody. You made a very ignorant statement. That is like if we were having a conversation about cars, and you came in and told us how dangerous gasoline is. Not necessary, you're patronizing. Do you do this in every single thread that talks about lithium batteries??

You're also not a moderator and I'm not breaking any rules, so how long I stay has nothing to do with you. Please stop arguing that is against the rules.
Dude,
Your sarcastic and angry tone is NOT appreciated.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellas, remember the proverb, 'a soft answer turns away anger, but a harsh one stirs it up.'?

Let's stick to the topic, and keep the tone good. And yes, no discussion about high-capacity DC electrical systems of any kind would be complete without a word of reminder about "the invisible danger". Even the finest of us get complacent or lose concentration.
I stand by @KITROBASKIN . Take care.

There are a bucket-ton of falsely-branded bratteries of every type out there, and the folks on this forum have put forward some excellent options as far as trustworthiness and past good experience.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and I do not want to come off as patronizing.

However, making claims about the capacity of different batteries yet no word on how the OP is testing is pretty much worthless. On diysolarforum the OP would not be treated respectfully.

It is highly doubtful any regular person would be able to 'delete the power company' with used, not balanced small cylinder lithium NMC chemistry and no battery management systems.

Members here do not want to be known as a forum of reckless behavior with trash information.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
Yes and I do not want to come off as patronizing.

However, making claims about the capacity of different batteries yet no word on how the OP is testing is pretty much worthless. On diysolarforum the OP would not be treated respectfully.

It is highly doubtful any regular person would be able to 'delete the power company' with used, not balanced small cylinder lithium NMC chemistry and no battery management systems.

Members here do not want to be known as a forum of reckless behavior with trash information.

Wow, what an arrogant, patronizing asshole. First, NOBODY is talking about "high voltage DC electrical systems", not at all. Nobody is asking how to make one or showing one they made.

I'm not going to tell you how I'm testing them because you'll just try to say I'm doing that wrong too. I know how to test battery capacity better than you do. I am not finding these results as a public service to the assholes of this forum, I just thought I would post the actual real capacities I see for the benefit of others. I don't have to do that. And I sure as hell don't have to prove anything to you. All you want do and have done in this thread is fight, you have provided nothing useful whatsoever.

As for my solar system, you are a moron, it is quite easy to live off grid with 10kw of solar panels and large batteries. You clearly don't have the slightest idea how any of that works. Do you realize electric cars are powered with 18650s too? Yes, it is becoming a very popular hobby for people to repurpose batteries from an 18650 to a full electric car battery pack to power their homes with. There are many many people doing this, however, not a single person is having a technical conversation about here.

And I know somebody is going to get their panties in a wad about my "attitude", but you can go **** yourself. There are too many useless idiots here, thus why so many other light forums exist these days. I'm sure somebody is going to pretend to be so noble and ban me, again, go **** yourself, there is no useful or helpful information or people here, I will not be logging in again.

Every forum has at least one idiot that feels the need to respond to every post whether he has an answer or not, and it's always some loser with 5000+ posts who clearly has no life outside the internet.

Also, go **** yourself.

Last edited:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Well, @106Lake , what a way to make friends.
As the saying goes, "Let's keep this adult now, Mr. Poopy Pants."

Last edited:

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
Well, @106Lake , what a way to make friends.
As the saying goes, "Let's keep this adult, Mr. Poopy Pants."
I am not remotely interested in being "friends" with the autistic weirdos. This is a technical discussion, you idiots make it like a jerry springer show. You're all very stupid.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I am not remotely interested in being "friends" with the autistic weirdos. This is a technical discussion, you idiots make it like a jerry springer show. You're all very stupid.
You are behaving like a child, and a rude one at that. Like I said, let's behave like adults eh.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
You are behaving like a child, and a rude one at that. Like I said, let's behave like adults eh.
And you are behaving like an autistic person. Obviously this is a dead thread, and 99% of the people posting here don't know an 18650 from their asshole. Some just ARE assholes. This isn't a church, I'll talk how I want. We could have had a useful conversation, but a certain few seem to have a fork stuffed up their butt.

You've all done a wonderful job at showing me why to NEVER use internet advice! Everybody is an idiot that thinks they know it all!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
200.gif