Movies Suggestions to Watch on Stormy Night

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looked up some reviews of this film,
some good and many bad. What did you like about it?

Bill

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Hey Bill
Spooky film down in the bayou, intensity builds & keeps your attention.
twists~~*~~

Reviews & previews almost always give away the movie

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a huge vintage film fan, and I will try to hold myself back a little bit here:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). German expressionist silent film, with probably my favorite completely weird set designs. There are English-subtitled versions available, including on Youtube.

M (1931). German horror/thriller. This film launched actor Peter Lorre to international stardom. His character preys upon children, and while the plot is grim, it is a well-made film. There is a high-resolution English-dubbed version on Youtube.

Island of Lost Souls (1932). Horror. The first film version of The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells. Paramount Pictures saw the success Universal Studios was having with its horror pictures (Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy), and decided to jump in. This movie is probably not as well-known as its contemporaries over at Universal Studios, but it is one of my favorites from this period. Charles Laughton is great as the archetypal mad scientist. The uncharted island scenario reminds me a little of 'The Most Dangerous Game', which came out the same year.

Murders in the Zoo (1933). Horror. Fortunately, the entire movie does not keep up with the intensity of the opening scene, which catches you by surprise and is enough alone to give you nightmares, and is an example of the kind of material that filmmakers were getting away with before the start of the actual enforcement of the Hayes Code in the following year, when Joseph Breen replaced ex-Postmaster Hayes. Zoos have fortunately changed since the 1930's, including no more folksy, rustic wooden footbridges with low guardrails for visitors to use when crossing over live crocodile mosh pits.

I Walked with a Zombie (1943). Horror/Suspense. The team of director Jacques Tourneur and producer Val Lewton made some good horror films together. The example that is usually cited as their best result is Cat People (1942), but personally, I prefer, what is for me, the creepier atmosphere in this film.

Pursued (1947). A psychological western/mystery/suspense. Robert Mitchum has strange dreams as an adult, and someone seems to be out to get him. This reminds me a little of Hitchcock's film Spellbound (1945), and seems to me the kind of western film Hitchcock would have done, if he had ever done a western. This should be on Youtube.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947). Film noir/suspense/thriller. A plan to fake a murder goes awry, with the wrong man blamed. Orson Welles wrote the screenplay, and directed it (though he is uncredited with the direction). Starring Rita Hayworth, his ex-wife. Imaginative camerawork in the finale, filmed in the 'fun house'. This is on Youtube.

Les Diaboliques (The Demons) (1955). French horror/suspense. These days, this film is usually referred to simply by the shortened title, 'Diabolique' (which is a 'true cognate' for 'diabolical'). The mistress of a teacher, and his wife, plot revenge on a philandering husband. There is a low-key French inspector who reminds me a little bit of 'Lt. Columbo'. This is another film they should not have bothered doing a remake of. There should be an English-subtitled version on Youtube.

The Night of the Hunter (1955). Horror/Suspense. Robert Mitchum's character is one of the most misogynistic you will ever encounter on film. Directed by Charles Laughton. Some very frightening scenes.

Sweet Smell of Success (1957). Film noir, but not a crime story per se. Burt Lancaster plays a loathsome and powerful Broadway gossip columnist, and Tony Curtis is the sleazy press agent who cozy's up to Lancaster in order to help his own career. People in this film who aren't corrupt get hurt badly. The character played by Lancaster is a barely fictionalized version of gossip columnist Walter Winchell. When Winchell died in 1972, he was so loathed that the only person who attended his memorial was his daughter, whom in fact he dominated and controlled just as Lancaster's character did to the character of his younger sister in the movie.

Eyes Without a Face (in French, Les Yeux sans Visage) (1960).
French Horror. Creepy, yet stylish. When a doctor causes an accident that disfigures his daughter's face, he embarks upon a series of 'experiments' to find a solution. The white mask the daughter wears was an influence on director John Carpenter, who had the "Michael Myers" character in the film "Halloween" wear one. The one surgical scene can be difficult to watch, even now, in black and white. Find an English-subtitled version.

Okay, I've probably used up far too much newsprint already. I hope that some of you enjoy some of these films on a rainy/wintry evening.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had intended my suggestions to be appropriate for a stormy night, but if I missed the point, I apologize.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I didn't mean that directed at you at all novice. Not at anybody. Just meant because the lighthouse is all about lightning and storms! Your suggestions were good!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Several years ago I picked up Conjuring (2013) on Blu ray for really cheap, kept it for the right night.
Couple days ago we had a big rain/snow storm and watched it.

Better than expected 🌀

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For all the cat-lovers into horror....

Stephen King's: SLEEPWALKERS.
(Cameo appearances from some of the biggest names in Hollywood at the time... But Clovis the cat gives literally the best acting performance in the film. Not even joking.)

PaladinNO

Enlightened
This thread about horror movies for stormy nights?

Can recommend "The Autopsy of Jane Doe" (2016)

"Aliens" (1986) is a my personal favourite.

...Which is also the movie that got me into flashlights, 20 years ago.
It was a freak set of circumstances at a late winter night, back in 2003. And I'm talking nordic winter, with a pitch black darkness outside.

I was resting on the couch, partially asleep, while watching Aliens on the TV. I had seen the movie before, so I knew what was coming.
And exactly at the scene where the aliens cut the power...there was a brief blackout in the house. It lasted only a few seconds, but I was not anywhere close to sleepy anymore!

And once the adrenaline levels was coming back down, I decided I wanted to get "some" flashlights to have on hand anywhere in the house, in case something like that would ever happen again.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey! Remember the time Gene Simmons from KISS, and Tom Selleck from Magnum P.I. were in a film together? No? Well, here you go. Turns out it's not as bad as you're probably expecting it to be....