Multitool

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I like the SOG Powerlock. The compound leverage of the pliars makes them a real gripper. I would avoid the Gerber as I have broken the jaws on two of them. I have not had any of the newer Leatherman tools, but did like the original one I had years ago.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Multitools - ah yes, another obsession.

Swiss Tool (RS is my favorite but X is good too) - by far and away the best. I have done complete marine installation projects with this tool. The tool selection is terrific, it is extremely tough and durable, sturdy. Knife blades, Fit and finish is extraordinary - no other multitool comes close. The *only* deficit is that the knife blades should be one handed opening.

Leatherman Wave - an 'ok' tool for light use. The one handed knife opening is great and the size is nicer (smaller than Swiss Tool). I carry the Leatherman when I anticipate having to use the knife a lot or when smaller is ok. If you have to really torque a screw, the blades twist, the handles twist and it sort of feels like the tool will come apart. Very different than the experience with the Swiss Tool.

Leatherman Juice XE6 - my EDC carry tool. Works ok for the day to day tasks, especially at the office or fixing light equipment. More discrete since you can carry this in a pocket.

Swiss Cyber Tool 34 - the end all and be all tool if you have to ever work on electronics like computers. This is the only tool you will need and it is exceptional.

I carry the Swiss tool probably 80% of the time when not at work (office environment), the Wave the 20%. XE6 whenever I can't wear my belt holster (church, office etc...). Cyber tool is in my briefcase 24/7.

For belt holsters/sheaths there is nothing better than what you can get from Dix Leatherworks. I have ordered a lot of sheaths for multitools, flashlights, etc.. from them. Check it out, inexpensive, very high quality - highly recommended: http://www.leatherwork.com

J

Maple_Syrup

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnJ80 said:
For belt holsters/sheaths there is nothing better than what you can get from Dix Leatherworks. I have ordered a lot of sheaths for multitools, flashlights, etc.. from them. Check it out, inexpensive, very high quality - highly recommended: http://www.leatherwork.com

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience with Dix Leatherworks has been mixed at best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not recommended. It's a shame; their products are very high quality, but they seem to be unable to make deliveries on anything approaching a timely basis.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
You know, I heard about this on another thread. Rick always has been extremely responsive, helpful and honest. I think he might be having a health problem or something. I have been working with him on things for the several years and never had a problem. I haven't had an occasion to talk to him for several months, but if he isn't responding, I'm willing to bet he is having a big problem. If he has a problem, then its a problem since he is a one man band.

J