Muyshondt Maus Flashlight

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-10-60 are OTF levels,
speaking Ansi, if 0.7 is not moon like enough for you, the MBI offers 0.2
which battery chemistry do you prefer, N for $450, or 10250 for $138?

good job, (both offer the same LED) so, which battery, price, and modes did you choose?:)
I recommend Copper! Titanium is a terrible heat conductor.

The Maus is $295 in Titanium, $275 in Copper, and $145 in aluminum. None of them are $450. None of them will physically burn you or catastrophically thermally vent either.

Moreover, unless you have an integrating sphere, and a production Maus (which even I don't have yet), I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from.

The limiting factor for thermal sinking is your hand, not the metal. The point is largely moot when there is no active cooling involved.

Enrique

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maus is $295 in Titanium, $275 in Copper, and $145 in aluminum. None of them are $450. None of them will physically burn you or catastrophically thermally vent either.

Moreover, unless you have an integrating sphere, and a production Maus (which even I don't have yet), I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from.

The limiting factor for thermal sinking is your hand, not the metal. The point is largely moot when there is no active cooling involved.

Enrique

Enrique, Gracias!
clearly I confused the Aeon with the Maus pricing

my lumen estimates come from the sphere reading posted for the Aeon, 120 lumens Ansi for your 180 lumen (led lumens?).. I just used that proportion to adjust your 1-10-60 (led lumens?) for the Maus

its very difficult to get accurate Lumen specs to compare between lights that use led lumens? in your case, and Ansi in others.

Enrique, you could eliminate a lot of confusion by posting the Ansi lumens for your lights.

my comment about titanium being a worse conductor of heat than copper is accurate

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Still?" Seriously? It's a prototype. One you haven't handled. One that has has a highly positive response from the few people who have, including persco, who you've quoted out of context. I have stated more than once that the levels would be different in production based on prototype testing. Comments like these are why I debate whether or not to even show the prototyping process to people at all.

As for the rest, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Light intensities are selected to be generally useful, and apparently do not cater to your specific preference. Whether you like it or not, my approach for 10 years has been found broadly agreeable, and you are one of the few who has ever complained about it.

archimedes: An NiMH N cell should be fine, provided you can find a good one, and a suitable charger. Crappy batteries of any chemistry will give crappy performance. As per usual, 3.7-4.2V+ Li-Ions will toast things, don't use them.

In general, if any of you have any questions regarding any of my lights, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to answer them for you. The only one here who knows anything about my designs is me - the rest is idle (and often incorrect) speculation. A thread related to the Maus will be posted in the next few days in Custom Titanium B/S/T - stay tuned! In the meantime feel free to visit www.bit.ly/mausmki

Enrique

Enrique - I am still entitled to my opinion and my preferences. But since you want to call me out on it I will reply. I've owned the Aeon MkIII (and many of your other lights) and my personal take was that the low was too high and there is very little visual difference between the low and medium. There is also a visually disturbing amount of PWM on the medium level. Maybe no one wants to say it to your face but if you read through the CPF threads you will see that there has been a lot of debate over the years over your choice of levels. You are free to choose the levels that you want - it's your light and your product.

There's nothing wrong constructive criticism, is there? I'm just trying to offer opinions to help make a nice product even nicer.

fnj

Enlightened
Regretfully, not interested in any light whose only possible power source is an alkaleak.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
...good job, (both offer the same LED) so, which battery, price, and modes did you choose?:)
I recommend Copper! Titanium is a terrible heat conductor.

I bought both the Maus and the HF-R IN COPPER. :)
I can't wait to compare them. ;)

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regretfully, not interested in any light whose only possible power source is an alkaleak.

You could use an NiMH cell - they're available on Amazon and a few other places. I have some here and they work fine - jury is still out on runtime, though.

Enrique

djj

Newly Enlightened
I prefer primaries, but would be a little concerned about putting an alkaline cell in such a nice light. Especially since it's designed (I assume) to wring all the juice out of it, which is when they're prone to leakage, right?

Just tell me I shouldn't worry so I can sign up for the preorder!

dbla

Newly Enlightened
I prefer primaries, but would be a little concerned about putting an alkaline cell in such a nice light. Especially since it's designed (I assume) to wring all the juice out of it, which is when they're prone to leakage, right?

Don't worry.

ice_man

Newly Enlightened
You could use an NiMH cell - they're available on Amazon and a few other places. I have some here and they work fine - jury is still out on runtime, though.

Enrique

Are you referring to this one found in Amazon Mr. Muyshondt?

"1.2V 500MAH NIMH N CELL" by Gold Peak?

GoVegan

Enlightened

Agreed, it looks light an awesome light, but I could never buy this knowing that I could only use alkaline batteries in it. Not a problem for cheap lights but for this light I'd only want to use lithium cells which aren't available.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's designed (I assume) to wring all the juice out of it, which is when they're prone to leakage, right?

Im not sure thats correct. In my experience Alkaline batteries can leak simply from being inside the light, not even using it. But, you could use NiMh:

An NiMH N cell should be fine

II'd only want to use lithium cells

if you mean Lithium Primary (non-rechargeable), I agree they are not available in N size.. but Alkaline is not the only option.

Last edited:

ice_man

Newly Enlightened
Im not sure thats correct. In my experience Alkaline batteries can leak simply from being inside the light, not even using it. But, you could use NiMh:

if you mean Lithium Primary (non-rechargeable), I agree they are not available in N size.. but Alkaline is not the only option.

Will this work?

"1.2V 500MAH NIMH N CELL" by Gold Peak in Amazon...

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
djj: I've only ever had Alkalines leak after leaving them inside devices for years and forgetting about them. They typically pose no problems in devices you use with any frequency because they're replaced well before their shelf life. If it remains a concern for you, you can just use an NiMH cell instead if you find find a suitable charger for the N-cell size (or an adapter to a charger you already have).

ice_man: Yes, I have tested those and they work fine.

Enrique

BriteLite2

Enlightened
I find alkalines will vent and swell within a year if left inside a flashlight

even with intermittent use

don't trust them in anything you value

scout24

Flashaholic
I feel that anyone who is buying this type of light is not someone to put a cheap cell in it and leave it, unchecked, for enought time to have a problem. Quality alkaline cells mitigate some of that risk. If so, the NiMH option is viable, available, and inexpensive. I have confidence in the energizer cell, personally, and none other than Eotech, whose holographic sights pretty much set the industry standard, have a model that can take a pair of alkaline N cells. The 551. And it's a bit more expensive than a Maus... :thumbsup: Personally, much ado about nothing. Everyone will do what they want, but I can't see this being an issue. Even if so, I can't see Enrique going anywhere, and his customer service record stands on it's own merits...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't know if it means anything or not, or maybe just bad luck, but I have had more N cell alkalines leak than either AAA or AA batteries.

I do have several N cell torches, and a few other electronic doodads that run on these uncommon cells, but of course I use way more AA/AAA cells in total.

IIRC, FWIW, YMMV, etc, etc....

Last edited: