My Creation - TRILOBIKE (Lots of pics) + Beamshots

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Creation - TRILOBIKE (Lots of pics)

Timson, I enjoyed that Read. Big :thanks: & well Done :thumbsup:

lukus

Enlightened

WOW! You get rain? We never get rain around here anymore!

BTW, cool light.:twothumbs

KonradC

Newly Enlightened

Great work Tim, very professional looking, and thanks for the kind words. Makes my efforts look agricultural ;-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the bonding. When i did mine, I did some tests on the bond strength to make sure it would hold after leaving the araldite to fully cure on a radiator for a couple of days. First i tried to pull the parts appart by hand but only succeed in hurting my fingers. Then i tried tapping with a hammer and that had no effect. In the end, the only way i broke the bond was to drive a chisel between the endcaps. It's strong stuff, particularly as you've used stronger adhesive than plain araldite.

How do you find the throw with the reflectors? I'm thinking of replacing some of the optics in mine with reflectors as i think that a combination of both should be just about perfect.

Timson

Enlightened

KonradC said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bonding. When i did mine, I did some tests on the bond strength to make sure it would hold after leaving the araldite to fully cure on a radiator for a couple of days. First i tried to pull the parts appart by hand but only succeed in hurting my fingers. Then i tried tapping with a hammer and that had no effect. In the end, the only way i broke the bond was to drive a chisel between the endcaps. It's strong stuff, particularly as you've used stronger adhesive than plain araldite.

That's good to know - thanks for that.

KonradC said:
How do you find the throw with the reflectors? I'm thinking of replacing some of the optics in mine with reflectors as i think that a combination of both should be just about perfect.

The throw with the IMS27 is really good.
They're a fairly tight beam - but when you have the light shining out 50ft in front of you they give a nice even carpet of light.
I've always preferred reflectors to optics - They just seem to put out a nicer beam (To my eye).

If you want to try out some reflectors in your light - The IMS20 should fit.
Not as 'Throwy' as the 27's, but should be better than the optics and they will give a nice amount of sidespill too. :)

Haven't got round to doing beamshots yet.
Had a go at a hurried attempt and it came out way overexposed.
I'm back at work now - so don't have much time to tinker about, getting good beamshots - plus my dad has taken his camera back.

I'll get some done in the not too distant...Hopefully with some comparrison shots of known benchmark lights.

Tim.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Great job.
Great story.
The anodizing part was really interesting.
And when did you ever see such a string of luminaries offering congratulations as you have????!!!!!!
Thanks a lot- quite inspiring!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's impressive is that some guy gets some tools, spends a bit of time and gets a product that's better than what some multi-million or trillion "dollar" corporation can come up with.

It's kind of like a home rocket scientist sending a guy to the moon faster than NASA.

longleg

Newly Enlightened
Killer!

i'm in the process of making a similar light, only the ghetto-factor will be much higher on mine..

:goodjob:

Timson

Enlightened
Thanks again for yet more generous comments,

Wish I had more time to 'dream' up and manufacture more interesting new projects cos it really is the most satisfying thing when you put together something new, completely from scratch.

I'm always itching to tinker with something, even if it is only modifying a stock light rather than 'going the whole hog'....I'm currently working on a dive light mod.

The plan is to base it around a regulated WA1185 set-up......Nothing new here at all. The only clever bit about it is the inclusion of Andrew's Hotdriver ....without which, it wouldn't be happening at all.
Parts are on order and I will be posting a 'how to' thread for anyone that fancies doing theirs.....Should interest one or two scuba divers out there. :)

CPF....What a great place.

Tim.

nightrider

Enlightened
Timson.
Awesome job. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. It's great to see others building bike lights, even if they do make mine look like crap :) .

That's some extreme tinkering! Not that I could do as nice of a job, but it kind of makes me wish I had a lathe. A Dremel tool is sort of limiting.

I hope you get a lot of use out of the light and I'm sure you will get some interesting comments from fellow cyclists... wishing they had one!

-Allen