My dual MTE P7 bike-light setup (with beamshots)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
Just posting my new light setup I've got going.

(2) MTE 5-mode P-7s modded to run on external power
(6) 18650 Trustfire 2500mAh protected batteries in parallel
(2) Fenix light mounts superglued on the 90 degree position
(1) Viewpoint spacebar
Anderson power pole connectors and wiring for the connection.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light4.jpg

Beamshots:

Set 1:
Control, L2D Turbo, Single P7, Double P7
DSCF2456.jpg

DSCF2455.jpg

DSCF2457i.jpg

DSCF2458-1.jpg

Set 2:
Control, L2D Turbo, Single P7, Double P7

DSCF2460.jpg

DSCF2461.jpg

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

notnormal

Newly Enlightened
Nice setup. Would you please post more information about your external battery pack modification for the P7 torches. I'm interested in doing something similar.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup. Would you please post more information about your external battery pack modification for the P7 torches. I'm interested in doing something similar.

Heres the battery pack I made. It uses 6 Trustfire 2500mAh batteries in parallel. There are springs in the tubes to make contacts as the two aluminum halves are tightened together. Its wrapped in some cardboard and garbage bag now for waterproofing and short protection. They are protected batteries as well so less likely to explode.

bttery.jpg

Sorry I don't have pics of the flashlights mod but I just drilled a hole in the side, installed a grommet (to make it look nice and maybe waterproof too) and ran two wires into the enclosure. I needed to remove the pill/heatsink to get access to the positive connection, I just soldered to the respective springs for +/- connection and then routed those wires out into a harness with anderson power pole connectors.

Both the battery and the lights are on short wires that disconnect for charging, avoiding theft, extreme weather etc... while the main large gauge wire stays on the bike.

The only problem I'm having now is charge time, the charger I have is meant for 2500mAh cells, not 15000mAh:candle: So it takes quite a while to charge if I run the batteries pretty low (like the other night I went 2.5 hours with both lights on high). I'll have to get a faster charger.

Last edited:

herulach

Enlightened
A nice simple mod would be one of KDs Super Output 2.8A drivers, and rewiring your pack 2s3p. Should probably improvebrightness significantly, as well as givig you a useable range of lights (I find low fine for being seen, medium is roughly equivalent to how it was DD, and high is eye watering)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 5-modes on either light and high mode claims to be 2800mA, but I'd like to measure that because I'm skeptical. If its only 2000 or so, mybe I'll replace the driver and get some more output at the expense of burn time.

notnormal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the extra details Wiggle. Your explanation and photo of the battery pack was nice and concise :twothumbs.

EdFromOhio

Newly Enlightened
That's a pretty cool setup. I have a similar single 18650 MTE light and use it when riding on a nearby bike trail.

Even with the one, I often get "Can you turn that thing on ANY BRIGHTER?!?" or "I'm blind now, thanks!"

Or the most common one "Holy crap!"

It is a really nice light. Maybe not the best build quality, but VERY bright.

dtheo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Judging at the pics, it doesn't look like the double set-up provides a lot more light than the single. Is that true or are the pictures not telling the whole story.

thanks,DT

duppencf

Newly Enlightened
I run with both single and dual p7's like this and the second one does make a difference, although I can blaze down pretty technical downhill trails with just one.

Love the battery pack. I may have to do something like this.