My first Knife.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
CRKT M16 series is a decent daily knife. I love the nob on the blade. Easy, fast, one handed opening. I am not a fan of the auto-safety on the liner lock though.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I've generally be underwhelmed by what I've seen from CRKT and the price of their product for the steel and construction you get. For the $49-$69 you'll pay for the M16, It really doesn't deliver anything you can't get with a fair less expensive blade, of the same quality.

I do like some of CRKT's products designed by James Williams, who also designed the Hissatsu, and is a trainer at the SureFire Institute in low-light tactics and advanced self-defense, but I really think any of the better manufacturers could have taken his designed and executed on them just as well as CRKT did.

In general, I just don't feel CRKT's products, nothing against those who love them or do get what they sell, but for me, Kershaw, Benchmade and Spyderco seem to be who I'm interested in at the moment.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
I've generally be underwhelmed by what I've seen from CRKT and the price of their product for the steel and construction you get. For the $49-$69 you'll pay for the M16, It really doesn't deliver anything you can't get with a fair less expensive blade, of the same quality.

I do like some of CRKT's products designed by James Williams, who also designed the Hissatsu, and is a trainer at the SureFire Institute in low-light tactics and advanced self-defense, but I really think any of the better manufacturers could have taken his designed and executed on them just as well as CRKT did.

In general, I just don't feel CRKT's products, nothing against those who love them or do get what they sell, but for me, Kershaw, Benchmade and Spyderco seem to be who I'm interested in at the moment.

I didn't pay that much for my M16...I don't think I would either.

I love Spyderco. I have a Harpy. They are semi pricey though, comparatively speaking.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I didn't pay that much for my M16...I don't think I would either.

I love Spyderco. I have a Harpy. They are semi pricey though, comparatively speaking.

Amazon dropped the price on the M16's they sell to about $40 shipped, still a bit pricey for what it is, in my opinion. I may pick one up one day, but I think the M16 is really something I need to see in person before I make any further judgement calls about it.

I have a Spyderco Persistence coming on the UPS truck today, I'll be out all day, so I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it, but I'm pretty excited, personally the Tenacious is a bit too big for what I'd consider an EDC, at least at this point, and so the Persistence seems like it may be a good alternative.

Just like jhc37013 said, I caught the Benchmade bug last weekend when I scooped up a 555 Mini-Grip from Amazon for $80, The blade is scary sharp and I love the feel of it in hand open or closed, the Benchmade clip is a huge plus, I've not used the clip on my 1760 just because I can't, because it's so tight.

My 555 is the sheep's-foot design with the thumb hole, and that's what made me jump on the Spyderco path, I've yet to find a thumb stud I like, and so the thumb hole is totally ace. Sometime this weekend I'm going to post up some shots of my storage solution that I'm using to keep all these blades stored and safe.

I've already sunk so much money into blades, just a month or so in. D:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?65754-jhc37013

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
Amazon dropped the price on the M16's they sell to about $40 shipped, still a bit pricey for what it is, in my opinion. I may pick one up one day, but I think the M16 is really something I need to see in person before I make any further judgement calls about it.

I have a Spyderco Persistence coming on the UPS truck today, I'll be out all day, so I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it, but I'm pretty excited, personally the Tenacious is a bit too big for what I'd consider an EDC, at least at this point, and so the Persistence seems like it may be a good alternative.

Just like jhc37013 said, I caught the Benchmade bug last weekend when I scooped up a 555 Mini-Grip from Amazon for $80, The blade is scary sharp and I love the feel of it in hand open or closed, the Benchmade clip is a huge plus, I've not used the clip on my 1760 just because I can't, because it's so tight.

My 555 is the sheep's-foot design with the thumb hole, and that's what made me jump on the Spyderco path, I've yet to find a thumb stud I like, and so the thumb hole is totally ace. Sometime this weekend I'm going to post up some shots of my storage solution that I'm using to keep all these blades stored and safe.

I've already sunk so much money into blades, just a month or so in. D:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?65754-jhc37013

When it comes to knives, I prefer a fixed blade openly carried. I can't do that at work though, so the Harpy and M16 ride in my right hand pocket.

That Persistence looks interesting. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to knives, I prefer a fixed blade openly carried. I can't do that at work though, so the Harpy and M16 ride in my right hand pocket.

That Persistence looks interesting. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

I'm in much the same boat, open or concealing a fixed blade, even a small one, is simply not an option for me, at least at this moment in time, and while I do plan on dipping into fixed blades (probably later this year) at sometime, right now, I have a long list of high value, high quality folder, EDCs and "compact" tactical's I'm looking to get my hands on.

The newest one to come into view and jump onto my list is the RAT 1. While it's thumb-stud only deployment, and the blade is pushing it for EDC, I think it could bridge the gap pretty well, I'm not a fan of the look out of box, and even less a fan of the fact that the blade is painted (pure paint, not duracoat), however I think it's worth a look at about $30, I still have plans for a Tenacious as well.

As for the Persistence, I've had it about 11 days now, and so far it's been great, it's not too big for EDC, however it does retain some appliability for use in an emergency defense (or as I call, tactical) role. While some dislike it, the thumbhole for me is great, and is pretty much now my favourite opening design with blade flippers being a close second. I do wish the clip was blackened, but seeing as I'm planning to buy another Persistence and have it custom high-temp duracoated, that shouldn't be a problem.

As can be expected from Spyderco, the blade is scary sharp out of box, and cut just as well if not better than my 555 Mini-Grip from Benchmade. I do love the design of the blade, and the FFG is nice as well. The profile on the blade appears like it'll be decently easy to resharpen without needing to be pre-profiled.

The downer was this. I cannot say for certain, however it appeared as those mine came with surface rust, out of the box, right where the pivot point is (where it says "China" on the backside) there was some copper/bronze looking stuff on the blade, after quite a bit of rubbing with a slightly abrasive pad, it was gone, and I've not found it to have come back anywhere else, so I suspect it was surface rust, however again, my eyes aren't trained well enough to say with 100% certainty, it has not however helped my view of 8CR13MoV against AUS8 or higher end 154CM and D2 (even with it's poor shock load resistance).

The post about my storage solution is still upcoming. Expect it by Wednesday.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Twitch XL is the BEST Knife I own! Mine is not Tanto however. It opens fast and positive! Has a Cryo treated blade the gets and stays WICKED sharp!

I CARRY a Twitch II however because it does not collide with stuff down in the pocket like the XL does.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Should have mentioned...

I have had for at least 5 years a CRKT M16-03Z. I ABSOLUTELY love the ergonomics! It flips open fantastically, and feel great in my big hand when open.

Only thing I have never really liked is the blade. Shape is cool as I love Spearpoint Blades. Blade steel leaves a bit to be desired. I have it pretty sharp, but can't quite get it to slice paper as well as many of my other knives.

Let me say again. If you didn't get the point from my post above, I consider the SOG Twitch series to be GREAT knives!