My (limited) return to flashlight reviewing

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Some of you out there may remember me. ;)

From around 2008 until 2016, I used to post a lot of light reviews here. My main goal was always objective comparative testing of lights. This meant heavily standardized testing, with output, beam distance, beamshots and runtime measures for multiple comparable lights posted within the tables and charts of my individual reviews.

My reviews quickly became popular, and manufacturers soon began sending me their lights to review. By the time I wound down my review testing in 2016, I had reviewed nearly 600 flashlights. :drool:

So why did I stop, and why am I making a (limited) return?

The answer to the first part is a combination of life getting in the way, and waning interest.

As was likely obvious from my reviews, I have research background. As a successful professional in my own field, my work responsibilities continued to expand to the point where I had little free time left anymore - and couldn't handle the flood of requests I was getting.

I was also getting less satisfaction from my reviewing hobby. By ~2015, I had found the pace of innovation in flashlight design and performance had really slowed down. Through most of my time as a reviewer, overall LED emitter output was easily doubling every 12-18 months (Moore's law in action, I guess). And those early years saw huge explosions in innovative circuit designs - with increasingly efficient circuits and tons of specialty modes - plus huge experimentation in user interfaces (e.g., visually-linear ramping outputs, intuitive magnetic control rings, etc.). And improvements in beam patterns too - as a result of diverse designs and layouts in terms of emitters, reflectors, optics, etc. But by ~2015, it seemed like portable LED technology had pretty much fully matured, without the previous leaps in performance or design. An endless variety of me-too lights crossed my desk that didn't offer anything significant over what had come before.

Even worse, I was seeing increasingly the loss of useful features and designs, as manufacturers reverted to simpler and cheaper circuits (but with increasingly rakish physical designs, to distract you from the lack of substance). For example, formerly "hidden" modes were increasingly showing up in main sequences or too easily accessed (i.e., you could far too easily "tactically strobe" yourself now). The very useful "moonlight" modes for dark-adapted eyes were disappearing. And visually-linear ramps were turning into a joke with speeds so high that you could barely access a couple of discrete levels, etc. :banghead:

Some of the other key drivers for my reviews had also diminished over time. I have always been singly focused on the truth when it comes to reviewing - by providing accurate, independent testing. While ANSI FL-1 standards were far from perfect, their widespread adoption at least helped to level the playing field in terms of reported specs - assuming makers were accurately representing their lights (which, while far from perfect, did improve over time and were fairly accurate by that point). Moreover, many other reviewers had joined the field, and started producing their own detailed reviews, so I felt the need for my own personal reviews had lessened somewhat - there were plenty of others out there to pick up the torch (pun intended).

That said, there were also a lot of reviewers who focused more on photography than rigorous comparative testing. Intentional or not, those glitzy reviews seemed to be serving more as free marketing tools for makers. I don't mean to cast shade on my fellow reviewers here - I believe the vast majority were simply focused on producing the highest quality reviews possible, and they had more photographic experience/skills than scientific. But the end result was a not-so-subtle shift of reviews being used are marketing tools, which I found frustrating.

So what brought me back?

I've lurked a little over the intervening years, to see what was new and emerging. A few innovations caught my eye, but nothing to really draw me back. In particular, emitter efficiency appears to have barely budged over the intervening years. Then I noticed how all the manufacturers had begun to produce 1x21700 lights.

I'll explain my interest in this battery format more on my new site (more about that in a moment). But the short version is that this small increase in size allows a lot more capacity to be stored in there. While that has obvious runtime advantages, the key point is what it means in terms of battery energy density - and thus how hard you can safely drive an emitter. Simply put, 21700 hits a sweet spot with standard ICR chemistry that can safely sustain higher discharge rates, allowing you drive an emitter much harder (at least for short periods of time).

Moreover, most major manufacturers are now bundling lights with branded 21700 batteries included. And these batteries often feature built-in charging capabilities through ubiquitous USB-C port connectors on the battery themselves, or through the lights. So, stand-alone battery chargers were no longer required, which is a real boon for getting these lights in the hands of non-flashaholics.

So, we now have the conditions to produce the ultimate holy grail of EDC flashlight technology - a reasonably compact light, with moonlight to multi-thousand lumen max output capabilities, all in an easily rechargeable fashion with no special gear required. One light that could serve as everything from your bedstand light, back pocket light, outdoor search light, or glovebox emergency light. Now that sounds interesting!

Looking at current reviews, I am glad to see a lot more detailed runtime testing being done out there now. There are many excellent reviewers and sites. But there is still relatively little in the way of direct comparative testing to other models of the same class in individual reviews.

So, I dusted off my old lightbox and ordered up a few compact 21700 models. I was able to recalibrate my lightbox for the higher output. I then reached out to some of my old manufacturer contacts, many of whom were interested in sending me some specimens to test and review. That testing is ongoing, and I will soon start posting my new reviews on my revamped personal website, flashlightreviews.ca (refreshed site to go live in a couple of days - old content is still up there right now).

So what will be different now?

My reviewing format will be revised somewhat, to both simplify my review production AND to provide you with more easily digestible comparative testing information. Detailed testing tables and charts will remain the focus. And the dedicated review website will provide a lot of new features and functionality - you will even be able to post your questions and comments right there on the actual review pages.

I will even make available my new complete database with testing results updated in near real-time while I am preparing the individual reviews (more details on that to follow on my website as well).

And I'm also going to start adding a feature I always eschewed - a rating system for lights. Given my main focus on the 21700 class right now, I think it's reasonable to finally start offering up an overall score, to allow you to quickly compare to other lights in that same class. If anything, my reviews are going to be even more tightly data-focused, with less extraneous material (sorry, no more YouTube video overviews – they were just too timing consuming for me to produce).

What's next after I work my way through the compact 1x21700 class lights? I don't know. I do plan to pick up additional lights here and there, in a curiosity-driven way. So expect to see the occasional higher-output thrower or flooder thrown in, maybe a headlamp or keychain light or two. We'll see.

I certainly won't be returning to the volume of lights I used to test, that wasn't sustainable and I still don't have the time. Let's take things one light at a time for now, and see where this goes.:popcorn:

Looking forward to being part of the community again! :clap:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moreover, most major manufacturers are now bundling lights with branded 21700 batteries included. And these batteries often feature built-in charging capabilities through ubiquitous USB-C port connectors on the battery themselves, or through the lights. So, stand-alone battery chargers were no longer required, which is a real boon for getting these lights in the hands of non-flashaholics.
I see this as a money grab, not as innovation, and it is a cousin of another tactic, proprietary cells that either can't be removed, replaced, or otherwise used for any other application or device. These cells are by and large, for no discernible reason, two to four times as expensive as ordinary non-self-charging cells. Is there any way to test the chargers built-in to anonymous cells now branded by flashlight manufacturers? I can go through multiple cells in one evening, as I am sure others can. Are we expected to have a handful of self-charging cells dangling off USB bricks the following day? Also, there is a sense of feature creep. My ideology for tools is if they one thing, they do it well. The more features added to a tool, the more dilute the original purpose, and it will generally not work as well as single task tools. I don't want a bottle opener on my flashlight, and I don't want a charger on my cells.

That is my peace, and that said, I am very glad you are back, selfbuilt, and entirely agree with your assessment of nearly all if not all other reviewers. You spoiled us, and I am sure we appreciate it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully you will post here regularly, describing what is the latest on your website!

Perhaps you will start assessing the compact rechargeable keychain type flashlights (including how pleasing the tint/color temperature is) with the idea that you are actually carrying one on your belt loop during the day, as well as the observed specifications.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Welcome back. Your runtime graphs were always the best, and it was nice to be able to see them against similar format lights.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider all "reviews" as marketing tools nowadays, unless they are made by end users who have no financial stake in any of it.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your reviews have always been extremely helpful! They have helped me and my friends many times with the selection of old lanterns in the secondary market. Thanks for coming back :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Welcome back!!

Welcome back! I look forward to your reviews again!

Your reviews have always been extremely helpful! They have helped me and my friends many times with the selection of old lanterns in the secondary market. Thanks for coming back
Thanks guys. :)
I see this as a money grab, not as innovation, and it is a cousin of another tactic, proprietary cells that either can't be removed, replaced, or otherwise used for any other application or device.
Absolutely, that's a very good point.

I should have been clearer that I was speaking only in terms of an all-in-one solution for the non-enthusiast. As you can imagine, I've gifted a lot of lights over the years to non-flashaholics, and only give ones that run on standard AA/AAA cells or have built-in rechargeable batteries and ports. Having to explain the complexity of different Li-ions, and stand-alone chargers, is more than most of them need or want (or would be safe, given risk of inserting the wrong kind of batteries into a charger, etc.).

But I agree with you that the use of 21700 batteries with integrated USB-C chargers basically function as custom batteries, requiring you to stick with the manufacturer. I'm noticing there is a lot of height variability on these (both overall length and button top height). And given the tight tolerances with the springs and anodized screw threads, it's very hard to find another brand that will exactly fit and work in the light (without risking denting, etc.). Basically, it is only the lights that use "standard" sized 21700 without the built-in charging where you have a chance of being able to swap the cells (again accounting for button top/flat top designs).

I will be noting in my reviews the likelihood of swapping in different cells ... so far, it's not looking good outside of the more "budget" light offerings.

Hopefully you will post here regularly, describing what is the latest on your website!

Perhaps you will start assessing the compact rechargeable keychain type flashlights (including how pleasing the tint/color temperature is) with the idea that you are actually carrying one on your belt loop during the day, as well as the observed specifications.
I plan to post here when a new review is up, for old times sake. ;) And I've always found the commentary and engagement here to be really valuable.

The rechargeable keychain lights are definitely on my mind. Of everything I've ever gifted, it is the keychain models that get the most use (based on feedback I've received).

Awesome! Welcome back. Your runtime graphs were always the best, and it was nice to be able to see them against similar format lights.
Yup, these will remain the cornerstone of my reviews.

I consider all "reviews" as marketing tools nowadays, unless they are made by end users who have no financial stake in any of it.
Yeah, the world of paid "5-star" reviews out there has gotten to be a bit much.

This is just a hobby for me, as always, and I have no vested interest in any company's relative success (or failure).

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having to explain the complexity of different Li-ions, and stand-alone chargers, is more than most of them need or want (or would be safe, given risk of inserting the wrong kind of batteries into a charger, etc.).
That's quite fair enough; it does make it easier for them by abstracting away best practices.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back Selfbuilt!!! I for one intently followed your reviews and made many a purchase based on them. You have been truly missed!

The important item missing from most reviews is runtime graphs at various levels. That momentary turbo number is what the marketing department concentrates on. But, I'm interested in how much brightness can be maintained ove a couple of hours. Our real use of a light is taking our dogs on a long walk or working on an emergency project at night.

Of course the UI can make or break a flashlight. Personally I'm a ramping fan.

As to innovation, I love the dual function flashlights that can tint shift or shift between flood & throw. Also, the choices in high CRI lights greatly enhances my enjoyment, along with smooth beams free of rings and having consistent color across the beam.

Glad to have you back, Selfbuilt 🤗

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back selfbuilt! I thoroughly enjoyed your reviews and insights in lights that you evaluated. Very much looking forward to your re-entry into the review space.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
I will be noting in my reviews the likelihood of swapping in different cells ... so far, it's not looking good outside of the more "budget" light offerings.

Maybe having a well respected reviewer point that out will cause the manufacturers to take that into consideration in the future?

Glad to see you back!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The important item missing from most reviews is runtime graphs at various levels. That momentary turbo number is what the marketing department concentrates on. But, I'm interested in how much brightness can be maintained ove a couple of hours. Our real use of a light is taking our dogs on a long walk or working on an emergency project at night.

Of course the UI can make or break a flashlight. Personally I'm a ramping fan.
Yes, comparison runtimes down to at least mid levels will be in all my reviews (say, down to 6-8 hours or so). I won't be doing the overnight low modes any more - it's frankly a pain trying to prevent windows PCs from rebooting during updates now (I use a computer-based data logger). And I figure the mid levels are a reasonable trade-off given how most of us use our lights.

And yes, UIs will be described in detail - and very much a place where many models will be loosing points on the overall assessment rating. ;)

Maybe having a well respected reviewer point that out will cause the manufacturers to take that into consideration in the future?

Glad to see you back!

Haha, well, we'll see. :)
Welcome back selfbuilt! I thoroughly enjoyed your reviews and insights in lights that you evaluated. Very much looking forward to your re-entry into the review space.

Welcome Back!! I have missed your reviews. I always looked forward to them. Now I will again!
Thanks guys!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to see you back, looking forward to your reviews.

I also totally agree about the slowing pace of innovation. I got on board the LED train with Peter Gansee's early Arc AAA lights, and the ride from there up to the pop-can lights putting out 10k or 20k lumens was intoxicating.
But as the years go by, I find that I very seldom use the pop-cans, the throwers, the hot-rudders, the flashy stuff. My real users amount to just a few lights, most of them from ZL, all of them pretty modest in their outputs.
For awhile, I could not wait to get the next new thing. Now, I'm content with what I have.
But! That's not to say that I will not be interested to see what you find in the 21700 world! I look forward to it!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news Selfbuilt. I found your summary of current reviewers to be spot on. There are a couple of good reviewers out there but most reviews are 40 to 50 pictures, some kind words, and should be called " Infomercials "
Take care.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I also totally agree about the slowing pace of innovation. I got on board the LED train with Peter Gansee's early Arc AAA lights, and the ride from there up to the pop-can lights putting out 10k or 20k lumens was intoxicating.
But as the years go by, I find that I very seldom use the pop-cans, the throwers, the hot-rudders, the flashy stuff. My real users amount to just a few lights, most of them from ZL, all of them pretty modest in their outputs.
For awhile, I could not wait to get the next new thing. Now, I'm content with what I have.
But! That's not to say that I will not be interested to see what you find in the 21700 world! I look forward to it!
Thanks for the comments, and I fully agree. My EDCs remains my trusty little 4Sevens Preon AAA on my keychain, and a ZL SC5 AA light on my belt - plus a few modest <1000 lumen lights around the house.

You have been missed; not by my wife but missed just the same.

LOL, good one. I don't think my wife missed by absence from flashlights either - with the endless deliveries and storage boxes filling up the house. But I have since gifted away all but a couple of bins, so I suppose I have some leeway again. ;)
Great news Selfbuilt. I found your summary of current reviewers to be spot on. There are a couple of good reviewers out there but most reviews are 40 to 50 pictures, some kind words, and should be called " Infomercials "
Take care.
Yeah, I've always cared a lot more about the circuit performance and UI usefulness, and will again. You will find my photos of the lights are a lot perfunctory than most.