My new truck has eyeballs

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess going back to the OP topic. The headlights are not sealed. There's a lid in the back you can take off and access the igniter and bulb (which in this case is one assembly). But HID bulb life is far greater than halogen. You shouldn't have to replace the bulb at all, depending on how much you use it. They do get dimmer as they get older, but it's not really a concern until 5 or 6 years later.

...when it's out of warranty :(

Actually I still have original burners in my 2009 MY car, not the same ones though, I think they are D2S.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You shouldn't have to replace the bulb at all, depending on how much you use it. They do get dimmer as they get older, but it's not really a concern until 5 or 6 years later.

And by then, unless the vehicle is in the northern latitudes, is parked in a garage all the time, is in the shade otherwise whenever possible, and isn't driven too closely behind vehicles kicking up a bunch of road grit, the factory lens (the outer "cover" one, not the aspheric optic) will be the real concern.

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
And by then, unless the vehicle is in the northern latitudes, is parked in a garage all the time, is in the shade otherwise whenever possible, and isn't driven too closely behind vehicles kicking up a bunch of road grit, the factory lens (the outer "cover" one, not the aspheric optic) will be the real concern.

Truthfully modern plastic lens are pretty durable. Our other car is 5 years old and it's lights are as new, parks in the sun/driven on dirt roads/in Australia. These days it's fairly unusual to see a car less then 10 years old with cloudy plastic headlights, except for Chrysler products!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Truthfully modern plastic lens are pretty durable.

Aren't. If you happen to be lucky, you happen to be lucky...that's all. It's an open not-really-secret within the industry that headlamp lenses are made with a "2-year system" of polycarbonate + coating. That means breakdown begins after 2 years (though you may not be able to see it at that time). To go to a "3-year system" would increase lens cost, which automakers aren't willing to pay -- let alone the "10-year systems" they really ought to be using if the lenses are non-replaceable.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Bump with another question, they told me that the low beams are HID while high beams are Halogen? Are they 2 separate bulbs?

Who is "they" told you this? That's not correct. It's one HID bulb and one projector optic that provides both the low and the high beam depending on the position of a movable shutter inside. There is noplace for a separate high beam bulb to be installed.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The parts guy did.

He was wrong.

Why was my link removed?

In this section of the board, Rule 11 is applied more strictly and broadly than on other sections of the board. That's because vehicle lights are life safety equipment that affects not only the owner/user, but also the public. The site you linked is a treasure trove of unsafe and illegal car bulbs. The few on that site that look like they might be legitimate have a very high likelihood of being exactly that ("look like" they might be legitimate -- that is, counterfeits).

Rick D

Newly Enlightened
My 2011 Raptor came with halogens. Retrofitting the OEM HIDs was absolutely the best modification I have ever made to any vehicle.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2011 Raptor came with halogens. Retrofitting the OEM HIDs was absolutely the best modification I have ever made to any vehicle.

well you got to tell us why

I'm also interested in why. I'd like to say the factory halogen lamps were just fine, and that the HID performance really can't be that much better that it was worth the expense.

I'd have used that money for another payment or putting towards the insurance premiums.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I'm also interested in why. I'd like to say the factory halogen lamps were just fine, and that the HID performance really can't be that much better that it was worth the expense.

I'd have used that money for another payment or putting towards the insurance premiums.
aren't the hid lights option a grand? and more if you change them out yourself

Rick D

Newly Enlightened
Why, Alaric Darconville, I do declare you're asking me to make a subjective statement! If I am indeed being provided that leeway I will oblige.

I found the light from the HID to be more intense but primarily more usable. This was especially noticable on the dipped beam where the light distribution seems vastly superior to the halogen buckets. Prior to installing the HIDs I actually did not feel safe driving this truck at night.
/subj

WRT cost, I purchased the complete OEM lamp assemblies from an online vendor for around $700. With gentle guidance from Scheinwerferman I avoided the temptation to 'upgrade' any part of the lamp and left them straight stock. A well-made wiring harness (Morimoto relay though) from another online vendor was another $100 or so. The performance is such that I no longer consider adding any auxilliary lighting to the vehicle.

So no they weren't cheap. But it's a $50K truck. I would have ordered it with HIDs were they available at the time. Ultimately, I get serious quickly when the safety of my fiancee and myself is in question, or even the middle aged dimwit who skateboards down our street at night, and have no problem breaking out the big boy money.

Cheers,

Rick

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'd like to say the factory halogen lamps were just fine, and that the HID performance really can't be that much better that it was worth the expense.

I'd disagree there. That BiXenon system really is quite a bit better than the H13 halogen both in terms of objective performance (beam width and focus near the top of reasons how/why) and subjective driving comfort factors. The H13s are not much fun to drive with.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the light from the HID to be more intense but primarily more usable. This was especially noticable on the dipped beam where the light distribution seems vastly superior to the halogen buckets. Prior to installing the HIDs I actually did not feel safe driving this truck at night.

I'd disagree there. That BiXenon system really is quite a bit better than the H13 halogen both in terms of objective performance (beam width and focus near the top of reasons how/why) and subjective driving comfort factors. The H13s are not much fun to drive with.

So it's not like the objective performance is particularly *bad*, but it does sound that the subjective driving comfort is so poor that it can be nerve-wracking and possibly fatiguing to drive at night.

I'm just glad the factory lamps didn't combine objectively abysmal performance with overconfidence inspiring subjective impressions.

Latest posts