My pimped-out Nuwai Quantum-III

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried a Lux V in thier Q-III yet? what do you think a safe current would be without additional heatsinking?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doc, thanks for the info and the link. Nice light! And Warren, if you're reading this, nice work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Xpit, never tried a Lux V in my own Q-III mods yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot with the next one I "pimp out." If memory serves, the regulator's circuit board actually makes some mention of 5W, or Luxeon V, or something along those lines... I suspect Nuwai uses the same circuit, maybe with a different sense resistor, in their 5W 2x123 lights. The problem will be runtime, though... IMHO 2x123 isn't a very good power source for a Lux V, as it provides only 30-40 minutes runtime in a typical light. My personal choice of power source with a Lux V would be 3x123, for extended runtime. Now back to the Q-III: that single 123 would get severely thrashed trying to drive a Lux V! It would either need to underdrive the current, or you'd need to make that a rechargeable Li-ion R123 light only... the R123 could probably provide enough juice to keep a Lux V going for 20-30 minutes. (Educated guess.)

Whew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif That got pretty wordy... sorry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Q3 in stock form can get pretty warm, driving the LuxIII at only 2 watts or so. Driving a LuxV at 5 watts will make that little body a REALLY hot potato. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just soldered two 0805 0.25W 10 ohm resistors in parallel. I have a nice low beam but still brighter than any flashlight I have. I am waiting for the two stage switch now.

Milky, does the switch go from low -> high -> off or what?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goldserve, I really wanted switches that worked that way, but the only ones I could locate go like this...

LOW...OFF...HIGH...OFF...(then the cycle repeats)

I've used a couple in my own lights so far, and they're actually working out better than I'd expected. Once the light's on, it's as if you double-click to toggle between low and high, and single click to turn it off. Kinda like a poor man's Arc 4+! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doc

Enlightened
Milkyspit just got the two stage switch done and two 1/8 watt 10 ohm resistors just did a little piggy back on the side of the switch works good! I sure like light and switch also put in a 22.6 ucl lens from Flashlightlens.com and it dropped right in! just a clicken away. Doc.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Milkyspit, I guess you obviously won't be able to read this, but why did you set your options to ignore my PM's and posts? I was going to send you a PM to ask if you received my payment and it says that you are ignoring me.

Are you there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danny, you must have flipped out when you saw that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Last night I was using a website offline reader to grab copies of all my PMs so I could delete them from CPF, thereby helping the cause as far as not wasting too much database space, but the spidering software went a little haywire and apparently followed a bunch of links that set my profile to ignore a whole bunch of folks, including you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Oops. My bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, I did see your post, and at this point I should not be set to ignore ANYONE. If that's not the case, please contact me at once! You can email me here...

image-scott-at-release1-dot-com.gif

Sorry again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

P.S. Haven't received your payment yet, but maybe today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Danny, you must have flipped out when you saw that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Last night I was using a website offline reader to grab copies of all my PMs so I could delete them from CPF, thereby helping the cause as far as not wasting too much database space, but the spidering software went a little haywire and apparently followed a bunch of links that set my profile to ignore a whole bunch of folks, including you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Oops. My bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, I did see your post, and at this point I should not be set to ignore ANYONE. If that's not the case, please contact me at once! You can email me here...

image-scott-at-release1-dot-com.gif

Sorry again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

P.S. Haven't received your payment yet, but maybe today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I was pretty confused!