My Quick LiteFlux LF2X Review

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Kilovolt!,
My main thing is to keep it on my keychain and I put two split rings on it to hold. Once I trash that setup, I'll do the tape thing so I can take it apart if needed. Thanks for the tip!
One of these days I'll figure out hot to program this thing...one of these days. :(

FsTop

Enlightened
Personally, I hated the LiteFlux UI - it's way too complex - I mean really - seven guess-at-a-quarter-turn Off-On cycles just to enter programming mode? That's flipping ridiculous! Not a well-thought-out control scheme, IMHO.

For an example of how to do a flashlight UI well, the JetBeam I.B.S. manages to simplify the programming of three pre-sets without losing any function, and also has a ~2-lumen low setting. Programming the settings is so simple that I change the levels ad-hoc depending on what I'm doing for a moment or two.

Maybe someday JetBeam will develop a real keychain light with their I.B.S. - that would be very nice.

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can deal with the 'complicated' UI - I plan to set it and forget it.

My question is which light to get, the 2 or the 2X?

I prefer flood - it's smoother and easier for most tasks. However, when you need some throw, and all you have is flood, it just doesn't get it.

On the other hand, if you have throw (for when you need it) you can use it for close up tasks, too; it's just not as comfortable.

Those of you who have or are familiar with both, what do you recommend (besides the CPF motto of 'buy both')?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I prefer flood - it's smoother and easier for most tasks. However, when you need some throw, and all you have is flood, it just doesn't get it.

On the other hand, if you have throw (for when you need it) you can use it for close up tasks, too; it's just not as comfortable.

Those of you who have or are familiar with both, what do you recommend (besides the CPF motto of 'buy both')?

I've never used/seen the 2, but I do like the 2x and would recommend it. I can't stand the method of programming it, but once I was done, it's good to go. My only intent with this light was to have a 1 x AAA based light capable of very low output and I got it with the LF2X. The fact that P2 is only a slight turn away for different level of lighting is just icing on the cake.

fleegs

Enlightened
Does anyone know if after you program it to what you want, can the light be set back to default settings or "other settings" by accident? Like when a battery goes dead?

The reason I ask. Yesterday I was using the Novatac 120P and messed it up somehow to where only the low would come on temporary. It appeared to be in full tactical mode with forced setting on low. Anyway I had to get the manual out to learn how to fix it. Which was not difficult but if I had the light in an emergency and this happened without the manual, it would have been very sad.

Thanks,
Rob

Ice

Enlightened
LOL! :crackup:
Well, I have both and the "old" one has a little more flood indeed. The LF2X is brighter and has additional features as well as an excellent HAIII-finish.
If you want to wear it on your key chain I would nevertheless suggest the old one. It's bright enough, it's a few millimeters shorter and the colour is a deep black compared to the more grey LF2X.
Also the LF2X's screw-on cap could sit a little tighter...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have used all variants. I have actually done a comparison review between all of them, including beam profile comparisons in the thread linked from my signature.

I prefer the beam pattern of the LF2x best of them all -- perfect for what you describe (a light with throw when you need it, but still usable up close). The reflector is deep textured -- this produces a smooth beam pattern, and a hotpsot that is big and bright, with a narrow spill angle -- I personally don't like lights with wide spill.

FsTop

Enlightened
You can reset it to factory defaults: ten Off-On cycles.

Your settings will last through a battery change.

The complexity issue is a real SOB if the switch is even a little bit dirty or flaky - programming becomes extremely annoying if it misses any of the 15 or 20 necessary Off/P1/P2 state-changes for any reason.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the LF2 SSC and the LF2X CREE. For general use like key chain I prefer the SSC output because it has a wider beam while throw is still more than acceptable. Personally I do not expect a key chain EDC light to be a thrower.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subjective definition. My reference point is a CR2 Ion for all flood and 98% usage on low. I wear it around my neck at night. If I check my cat's water bowl, I can't see the level from 5-6 feet away with the Ion while I can with a more traditional light. I'm at an age where my eyes require much more light than they used to to see.

I think the beam on a LOD is great for most purposes, but the PWM really bothers me. Even an ARC AAA produces enough throw for me, so it's not that I'm expecting this light to throw like an AA Nitecore or Rexlight, etc. I just want it to have more than my Ion.

Trinity, I can't see any pics in your review, but the review was great. Unlike you, I do prefer a wider beam. A good point of reference for me would be the LOD. I wouldn't want less spill.

Thanks for all the input.

arty

Enlightened
How long is the LF2X with the end cap on, the ones with a flat end that will allow tail standing?

LED Cool

Enlightened
just the light alone is 78mm long. and will tail stand with a smaller flat base.

with the pocket clip installed is 80.5mm long. and will tail stand with a wider flat base.

with the quick detach assembly installed is 88mm long measured from the bezel to the key ring lug.

khoo

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like the best place to ask a question...

anyone know how long the minimum level will last on 10440s/Nimh/ Alk/ L92?

and by extension, how long the "Locator Beacon" aka. Strobe on lowest frequency and period will last

Crenshaw

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know how long the minimum level will last on 10440s/Nimh/ Alk/ L92?
LF2X-RT-NiMH.gif

The light is dimmed using PWM, so one would expect runtime vs duty cycle will basically be essentially a linear relationship, but there are some complicating factors. This would imply that runtime at the lowest setting should be 75x runtime at the 15% setting, or 17 days.

Between 100% and 50% output runtime, more than doubles. Between 50% and 15% runtime incerases 4x while light output is a bit under a third. I suspect this is due to high current causes disproportionate capacity loss due to voltage sag in the cells). But, I don't expect this trend to continue, in fact at extremely low output I expect switching losses to remain constant, and take up a larger percentage of the power consumption. Even in the case of LSD NiMH, self-discharge might take a toll on total runtime, too. But even on a standard NiMH I'd still expect well over a week of ontime.

Someday I may do an actual runtime experiment on the lowest setting... but it will be a while before I can post results ;)

and by extension, how long the "Locator Beacon" aka. Strobe on lowest frequency and period will last

Crenshaw
It's still just a question of duty cycle -- except that now the duty cycle is a strobe instead of a 7800hz flashign. This shuld mean less switching losses. If total ontime of the strobe is say 100% output on the lowest freq. is about 0.2%, then you can probably expect even closer to 17 days than you'd get on a continual "dim" setting. But honestly I don't know what the duty cycle looks like on the strobe modes.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, thats....complicated, but it should at least last a night of usage, and when sleeping, "locator beacon" ?

this sprug from me sleeping at a unfamilier location last night..:)

Crenshaw

arty

Enlightened
Has anyone actually checked runtime on the very low settings for this light, e.g. 2 or 3 lux?