My second Maglite Mod. Any tips for the next one?

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
I used an XPG on a 14mm board, the ShiningBeam 1.4A driver, a HAII heatsink, and a 3D Maglite with Alkalines.

Here are some pictures:

nnvsdh.jpg

58d76h.jpg

XjWbgh.jpg

4NEQ1h.jpg

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Thought about the lens? With a Malkoff XP-G in a 3D Maglite, I've tried the stock lens, an Acrylite lens and a UCL-LDF lens (Ultra Clear Lens-Light Diffusion Film). Each lens turns it into a different type of light. The stock in perfect condition is great for throwing. The acrylite smooths out the light and gets rid of artifacts from the reflector. While the UCL-LDF turns it into a great flooder! Each has its purpose but the everynight Maglite is the UCF-LDF.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be a bit less messy with your application of thermal paste :crackup:

Not that I can talk! It might also seem pretty obvious given the simple nature of an LED mag mod, but I try to use different colors for my wiring (red +ve, black -ve) at all times. You NEVER know when you might get confused.

moderator007

Enlightened
Try a cree xml U2, 3D's or 4C's Nimh's and a shining beam 2800ma amc7135 driver. Should over double your light out put. KD also sells a similiar driver with a few options on the modes if you like more than 3 modes.

Looks like on the postive side of the led your plastic wire insulator has melted away from the wire. I use to do that alot and was quite annoying. Tried to solder it as fast as i could and it would still happen. Then I started using high strand count silicone wire. No more problem with the insulator melting. You can find silicone wire at your local hobby shop or online. I usually get mine from epbuddy. Its really fexible and easy to work with. Once you use it. It would be hard to go back to plastic insulated wire.

Last edited:

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the input!

Try a cree xml U2, 3D's or 4C's Nimh's and a shining beam 2800ma amc7135 driver. Should over double your light out put. KD also sells a similiar driver with a few options on the modes if you like more than 3 modes.

Looks like on the postive side of the led your plastic wire insulator has melted away from the wire. I use to do that alot and was quite annoying. Tried to solder it as fast as i could and it would still happen. Then I started using high strand count silicone wire. No more problem with the insulator melting. You can find silicone wire at your local hobby shop or online. I usually get mine from epbuddy. Its really fexible and easy to work with. Once you use it. It would be hard to go back to plastic insulated wire.

I actually have an XML and that driver. I haven't decided whether I'm going to get NiMH D cells though. Where would I get them+a charger? I'm assuming there is no way to adapt my AA and AAA charger to charge Ds.

rbalf4

Newly Enlightened
Hey, just curious in where you got your heat sink from. I really want to make my own modded Maglite but have no idea where everybody is getting there parts from. What are some good reliable sites?

yazovyet

Enlightened

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
Hey, just curious in where you got your heat sink from. I really want to make my own modded Maglite but have no idea where everybody is getting there parts from. What are some good reliable sites?

The first mod I did was a nice and easy one. It was a real pain to get all the parts and directions together so I'm happy to help you out.

Here is the thread I used. Note that some new Maglites use a T8 Torx instead of the 2mm Hex This is for a direct drive maglite. Direct drive is much easier, but the output is not regulated. It's a good first mod because it's relatively cheap and easy.

Heatsinks.

I used this thermal glue.

I used this SSC P7.

If you don't already have 22 guage wire, wire cutters, hacksaw/Dremel you can get those items locally.

rambo180

Enlightened
The first mod I did was a nice and easy one. It was a real pain to get all the parts and directions together so I'm happy to help you out.

Here is the thread I used. Note that some new Maglites use a T8 Torx instead of the 2mm Hex This is for a direct drive maglite. Direct drive is much easier, but the output is not regulated. It's a good first mod because it's relatively cheap and easy.

Heatsinks.

I used this thermal glue.

I used this SSC P7.

If you don't already have 22 guage wire, wire cutters, hacksaw/Dremel you can get those items locally.

hi, im new to this. i have an old 3d cell mag. is it worth trying to mod it myself or would a malkoff drop-in be almost as good?
thankyou!!!

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
hi, im new to this. i have an old 3d cell mag. is it worth trying to mod it myself or would a malkoff drop-in be almost as good?
thankyou!!!

I haven't used a dropin, so I can't really comment. I thoroughly enjoyed this project though, and I've modded a third one since. You can also do an even more simple one with just a heatsink and a SSC LED.

Edit: I just took a look at the Malkoff site, and it looks like this would be pretty similar to one of his dropins. Biggest differences are that this one has three modes (highest mode won't work well with alkaline batteries), and if you are like me the build quality won't be quite as nice as a drop in. It would be easy to repair though, since you would have the knowledge to build it in the first place.

There is also a good chance the circuit he uses is better quality. I'm not sure about that though.

IMO modding it yourself is better.

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
I haven't used a dropin, so I can't really comment. I thoroughly enjoyed this project though, and I've modded a third one since. You can also do an even more simple one with just a heatsink and a SSC LED.

Edit: I just took a look at the Malkoff site, and it looks like this would be pretty similar to one of his dropins. Biggest differences are that this one has three modes (highest mode won't work well with alkaline batteries), and if you are like me the build quality won't be quite as nice as a drop in. It would be easy to repair though, since you would have the knowledge to build it in the first place.

There is also a good chance the circuit he uses is better quality. I'm not sure about that though.

IMO modding it yourself is better.

excellent. thankyou.