My second Maglite P7 mod

jovanwyk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback Stereodude!

I'm curious though, what would you suggest I replace the standard reflector with? I want more throw and not a lot of spill. My newbie understanding of throw and spill: light with huge throw = long straight narrow beam. light with bigger spill = wide beam, doesn't shine as far, lights up a larger area....? Is this correct?

If I am, and want huge throw, what reflector should I install?

Really appreciate the advise!

Johan

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that it's pretty hard to get good throw out of a P7. I have a OP reflector from KD and the beam is more floody than throwy with a big hotspot and great spill.

Throw is the amount of light which is focused in the middle of the beam in the hotspot. It is normally measured in lux. You'll find lots of beamshots and measurements in this forum. Spill is the rest of the beam around the hotspot.

rayman

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback Stereodude!

I'm curious though, what would you suggest I replace the standard reflector with? I want more throw and not a lot of spill. My newbie understanding of throw and spill: light with huge throw = long straight narrow beam. light with bigger spill = wide beam, doesn't shine as far, lights up a larger area....? Is this correct?

If I am, and want huge throw, what reflector should I install?

Really appreciate the advise!

Johan
I don't know. I'm in the process of building my first P7 Mag. I ordered two different orange peel reflectors from KD to try out. The OP reflectors don't have a donut hole, but don't have as much throw either.

smokeychris

Newly Enlightened
I recently finished my tripple p7 and use it for my work. I dont realy know for how long i had it on high but i say at least 20 / 30 minutes. The head and part of the body just above the switch get fairly hot but i could still hold it at the head. So i think heat is not much of a problem with a single p7.